Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
and im underrotating them, which I understand is common. I know to take a balls out cut at the wake, which im doing, i just wanted to know if grabbing it (nosegrab of course) makes it easier. or maybe i should stay tucked a little longer. any input is appreciated
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-21-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
i wouldn't say that grabbing it would make it easier. staying tucked (putting your ear to your shoulder and bringing your front knee up) along with keeping that handle in really close should help you keep a fast enough rotation to get in a good landing position. remember that you need to go ^^up^^ first, before you start your rotation. throwing the trick early can cause you to under rotate it. one thing that i focus on, is really pushing my rear leg/foot down into the water right as i am going off of the top of the wake and at the same time bringing my front knee up.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
If you go for a nose grab you will automatically throw a front to fakie
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
front to fakies are sick...that would be dope
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
If you are taking a "balls out cut" you are probably going too early beacsue you are going too fast and your timing in jacked up.

I found with mine that once I slowed down my cut, my timing to throw trick got better and better. As long you have a solid edge into the wake... wait for the pop, then bring front knee up and put the ear to the shoulder you will come around with plenty of time.

Under-rotating is a sure sign of going early.

UJ
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-21-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
"If you go for a nose grab you will automatically throw a front to fakie"

Only if you let your body open up. If you keep the handle in tight you won't.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
hmmm, i dont know ive read all over that people try HS fronts with great frustration, and they get mad and start angrily cuttting at the wake, and thenlanding them once they do that. ill try some easier cuts, but i know this is a trick you take out not up, i havent seen anyone do this wake to wake, its always way out in the flats
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
i think i've seen parks do a front to fakie wake to wake.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
yeah but he's parks.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
true true
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-21-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I agree with Unclejesse and Jay on this one. I take basically a tantrum cut at mine and try to bring it up as much as I can really pushing my back foot into the wake.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
How do you keep from those turning into frantrums?
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-21-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
"How do you keep from those turning into frantrums?"

Don't square up to the wake like a tantrum. Hold the same edge all the way through.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Yea I do that, it's halfway through that I just kind of go over my back. Starts out a front, then turns into a two handed tantrum... I used to have fronts down perfect and then one day I guess I just got lazy and now can't get it back. Tips for finishing it?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-21-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
For Me I put my head down a bit and Cut all the way throught the wake instead of trip it at the wake. Also Try taking it to switch.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
Kiley, once you get your timing right, that trick will boot you out AND up... Flipping forward progesses you way beyond what a normal w2w jump will... by at least a board length or more.

My biggest ones have been with a nice easy progressive edge all the way through the wake. I can sure throw them "out", but without the "up" they looks like crap and feel like a speeding death roll... My bros always give me crap when I miss the pop. When you get it... you'll feel it... you'll go way up and way out. I love the trick. You are upside down for soooo long.

UJ
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
yeah i definatly wanted to start giving these a try before the season ended, because IMO they are one of the coolest stylish loking tricks out there. And i figure since its gonna be getting cold here soon (MN) i gotta start goin all or nothing, if i get hurt now oh well, the only thing that it will interfere with is pond/boot hockey haha
Old    alanp            08-23-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
when i was learning these there were 2 keys i focused on. flip into the rope. i really try to advance myself over the handle. i dont think of it as a cartwheel, i was doing that and it screwed me up(i kept underrotating falling on my back/butt/kidmakers) with that being said also get a pair of lycra shorts to help with the falls, it will save your kidmakers. the next thought was that for me its a pretty intense trick to throw. i was trying to just get myself into the correct position; knee up, line at the waist and ear to the shoulder and thought the trick would take care of itself. but you really have to huck the trick(for me at least). like a backroll pretty much will take care of itself if you put yourself in the correct postion but i still have to huck this one hard, in fact i dont think i huck a trick harder than this one.