Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I am at it again, I looking at a 1994 Supra Sunsport with tower/board racks/tower mirror/ trailor/ and boat lift for 14000.

Anyone know the towering weight? any other thouhts
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
You mean trailering weight? Assuming tandem axles, probably a good guess is around 5000 lbs. loaded up.

So how about some pics?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
The boat alone weights 2950 lbs dry. add gear fuel and trailer Bill is right on 5000 lbs.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
nada.com has the boats weight. Supras are much lighter I would guess 3000 dry no trailer. Boat lift depending on quality is probably 2-3k.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
That jsut took me so long!!!!!! This is the boat. the ext of the boat is in great shape. I owen a GMC Canyon. I could tow it but I think it be on the edge of being to much boat for the little guy with a big heart.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
In a very brief search of the web, it looks like the Canyon's tow cap ranges from 2100 - 4000 lbs depending on what engine & tranny you have. In either case I'd say that boat will push your truck around way too much to be doing it safely.

Nice boat though. Looks like it's already been updated.

Good luck. 5000 lbs is pretty common for a 20' boat & tandem axle trailer. So regardless of what boat you buy, I'd plan on upgrading the truck soon.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
I have a Z71, it says it tow max is 4000. I not planning on driving cross country with it. I jsut want to be able to put the boat in the water and take it out. I would also like to tow it about 30 miles to another lake we ride, but thats only about twice a summer.

At the moment the odds of me scoring this boat are on the slim side. :-(
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I just bought a 1990 sunsport and pulled it 5 hours home with my F150 with the 4.6L small V8. i think it did pretty well. sure the big V-8 would be nice but i would tow it across the country with no worries. just fyi.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I would say that towing that weight a few blocks to put the boat in the lake is probably OK...... but if you ever got in an accident, your insurance company would void everything & leave you with the bill. And if your ramp is very steep, it'll take 4wd & low range to get the boat & trailer out of the lake.

My sister in-law has a 2001 F150 with the 5.4 Triton. It'll tow her 18' 5th wheel camper over Snoqualmie Pass without too much problem, a 3000' climb.

But my brother's shop truck is an '91 F150 2wd with the straight 6 & we damn near sank it a couple times pulling his 88 Prostar 190 out of Smellsomore..... had to use the boat to push the truck up & get the momentum to go the rest of the way.... and it was tough to keep from spinning the tires in the gravel.

The point is that the F150 is a whole different ball game. Depends on a lot of factors. Some have got it, and others don't.

Good luck on the Supra. If you can get the boat, you can make the tow situation work somehow.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Looks like a nice SunSport it would throw a mean wake and an even meaner surf wave.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-21-2009, 5:15 AM Reply   
I going to see it tonight. The boat is just out of my price range but its just such a great opportunity I can't let it pass.

So I am going to tow it to the lake and run it through few good test. Any ideas on things to look out for?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-22-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
Nice boat Zach - see ya sat
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
thanks chris, its not mine yet, but its looking more and more like it is going to be! Did you get a chance to talk to your son?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Take a small screw driver & poke around in the floor behind the driver's seat & the stringers around the motor mounts. If it's soft, walk away. Judging from the upgrades done on the boat, I'd bet the seller knows about any rot issues in the boat & might tell you if you ask.... so ask.

Also, bring your board/ski/foil or whatever & take it for a ride. Offer to pay for gas. Bring a friend to drive for you. Run it thru all the motions, hard acceleration like your weighted & pulling a rider up, goose it in reverse, turn all the lights & accessories on & off, look at the wiring on the stereo install, etc. Get down on your hands & knees & look at how the tires are wearing on the inside of the tread.

Don't be shy about doing or looking at things. Just be conscientious about the guy's boat.

Good luck & have some fun with it!

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 22, 2009)
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Ok, so I got a chance to get inside the boat and the interior is in awful shape. I am going to have to replace the whole thing at some point in the next two years. There is a bad soft spot right behind the engine compartment, but thats the only soft spot. The Soft spot is on the pice of wood that can be replaced pretty easy, but it worries me.....
what is the average price to recover all the seats?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
If there is a soft spot, it is bigger than you think. If the interior is crap, then it was likely left outside. This is unfortunatly a sign of a Supra to stay away from. It is common for water to get in the foam IF the water can get around the bilge compartment. You might get lucky and only need to replace the floors and interior. Proably $2-3k project.

Did you check the motor mounts? Were they strong and did the stringer they were mounted to seem strong? Did you get any pics of the bilge, floor, interior, etc?

Your next step would be to determine how bad the damage is and how much it is worth. I would go back with a phillips screwdriver, unscrew the rear bench seat and it lifts out easily. This will tell you how bad the floor is in the back. If it's beyond the bilge valley, you may be in over your head.

Don't wanna scare you but here is what can be involved with stringer repair.
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4002
http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLrotrepair.html
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
Man, that sucks. Must have been a big disappointment considering what the rest of it looks like.
So what did the seller have to say about it?

I think just the upholstery will run you a grand or so. But don't the older Supras have wood in the seats? Might mean you'll have to rebuild some of that.

If your serious, ask the seller if you can take the boat in to have it inspected. He may or may not want to go this far for you, which will also give you a good indication about the boat.
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Kinda high price for a Older Supra that needs a lot of work IMO. I bought a 2000 Launch with 600hrs in Nov. for $17.5. I had 3 of the seats re-done for $350, but could of rocked it the way I bought it all summer long. That soft spot might be the removable floor board to access the trans and the prop shaft, thats how it is on my boat. If I was you I would keep looking. There are a ton of good deals right now IMO. But if you feel good about it go for it, any boat you buy will be sweet it's just about how much you want to drop in upgrades.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Upholstery will be more like $2k.

Run away from that soft floor.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-23-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
I got a text message from the guy selling the boat last night and he asked me if I would buy it if the owner of the boat fixed the interior and the floor would i buy it then.
I have not responed because I already stressed over this boat.

I lifted the engine cover and looked around but i am not really sure what I am looking for so If I cont. to look at the boat I am going to take it to one of the marinas in town and have them run through it.

BILL K, it was very disappointing to see the interior of the boat. I knew it was going to need some work, but everything part of the interior needs something done to it. So Dan your right it will be atleast a 2k job. If I have them fix the floor and the interior, I still may not get to use the boat this summer, cause its going to be a project. I am sure of that.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-23-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
There are lots of other boats for sale - keep looking. Let him fix it and sell it to someone else. My $.02 anyway.