Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
I swear, scammers have to be the dumbest SOB's on the planet. A guy used a stolen credit card to list a 2004 MC X80 on the site for 8,200. He purchased the highest listing price and is asking 8200 for the boat. Seriously, how stupid can these people be? It's like they are trying to send up the red flag to anyone who's paying attention.. the dude is so stupid he didn't even realize I emailed him from an OnlyInboards.com email address!

Here is his email..

Hi,
I am emailing you regarding the 2004 Mastercraft X80 boat that I have for sale .
The boat looks and works perfect and I must tell you that this is a regretfull sale but I have some problems with my family and it must go now.
The boat have only 120 h and it is in perfect condition. No hidden problems .
Since I have a lot of problems and I am very bussy , I prefer closing the transaction trough an eBay purchase protection program because is this way both of us are protected. If you don't know how does the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program work please let me know so I can help you. I used it several times (as a seller but as well as a buyer) and everything was perfect.
The boat was inspected by eBay and they approved the sale through their service . As well, shipping & handling fees are included in the final price ($ 8,200 ) and you will not have to pay any other taxes to register the boat on your name.
The boat is at eBay's warehouse in NY and from there it will be shipped to the buyer's address after ebay will receive a deposit payment from the buyer. So you must know that I will sell the boat to the first buyer who will send the deposit payment to ebay.
If you are interested in going ahead with the transaction please let me know your full name and shipping address so I can open a transaction case through eBay with your details.
Thank you

"Ian Brown - OnlyInboards.com" wrote:
Is there a mix up on the price on this boat? 8200 for an X80?

Thanks,
Ian

I wouldn't mind messing with the dude but am not sure how to string him along... any suggestions?

BTW, i deleted the ad already and called the cardholder to notify them and voided the charge.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-09-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
get his username on ebay and then report it to their fraud department, so no one else can get taken for a ride by this guy.. these scammers are usually very good about having many multiple accounts already created but at least the pattern can now be tracked to the source..
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
HEhehe, this is gonna be fun.

First of all, don't use any email address that can be traced back to yourself. Get some freebie account from Yahoo or Gmail or whatever. Better safe than sorry.

Then email them about it, asking stupid questions, asking for pictures of stupid things, etc. From what I gather they don't ever even read the first email, but have a basic form letter they send out for their first email. Requests for specific info won't come till you have promised them money, like the 3rd or 4th email.

Google "scambait" or "419" sometime. These guys treat it like another sport.

http://www.419eater.com/

Send me the guy's address. I'd love to string him along a bit. Several of us should do it & post up our results here.....See who can get the biggest stupid response out of him.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-09-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
yeah, nice work bill.. we should ask him fun and irrelevant questions like: "what does the X stand for in X80?" or "how many fish will the live wells hold?" or "does it have the retractable wheels for beach landings?" that ought to keep him doing his homework for awhile..
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
I love scammers.... Whenever I have something for sale... I always get a few offers where they will pay more... then get me to refund shipper etc... you know the story...

So then I just email them back and let them know I am in a generous mood... just ask them to send me their physical address... and I will get the item delivered free of charge... and no charge for the item I am selling... just FREE...

Just trying to be generous... and they never take me up on the offer... I have even offered cash incentives... where I will give them the item for free... ship it for free... and give them a wad of cash...
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-09-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
419eater.com is the best for ideas.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
You got the idea, Manfox. Get really stupid when you ask for things...... maybe ask if they used striped bottom paint on it. Or if it has the new high performance reverse prop. Or ask for pics of the tower with a man standing next to it for reference as to how tall it is (sucker).

Reading that 419 site, they have specific guidelines as to how to hook them. Go slow. Don't ask for too much right away. Get a few easy details, develop a dialog, tell them how rich you are & how hot your girlfriend is going to look on this boat........then ask for the dumb stuff. They call the scammers "lads" or "laddies". And any pictures they send you are trophies.

So which one of us can get the best trophy?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 11:43 PM Reply   
make him take the random pictures... seat bottoms, bottom of the swim platform, screws to fold down tower... jerk him around and then ask him if you could do a western union transaction.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
here is his address
diegoalvaro44@yahoo.com

his eBay ID he sent me was
goboatingofflorida
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
i just sent him an email
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Ask if he got the blinker fluid changed with the normal service, or if the muffler bearings were greased regularly... If not, tell him it could lead to a slow leak in the hull and you will need detailed pictures of the head to check for problems.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-10-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
And don't forget the kenuter valve and the piston return springs!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
here is the update.. from the bottom up. He agreed to 3200 out the door on a 2004 X80!!! sweet!

Hi again,
I agree with your price because I need quick money. Please email me your full name and shipping address in order to send your details to eBay to send you the invoice for the purchase.
I agree with your price only if you will send the payment to eBay today in order to close a quick deal. As soon as eBay will receive the transfer receipt from you , they will start the shipping of the boat to your address. Please email me your phone number in order to send your phone number to eBay to contact you after the shipping starts.
Thank you

I can do 3400 right now and my wife won't find out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:27 PM
To: Ian Brown - OnlyInboards.com
Subject: RE: x80 for sale

what is the last price you afford?
email me as soon as possible.
Thank you

my wife just said we can't afford to buy this boat right now, but I have another friend who might be interested. I'll tell him to email you. By the way, what does the X in X80 stand for? do you know?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Wow, I'd buy an X80 for $3200 keep it going.. This is getting funny. :-)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
:-)) no, I'm sorry.
I need money , not Star Wars collection.
Nice try

dang it, my wife just found out about this... she reads my email. I should just buy it anyway to piss her off. You know how women get, always nagging... do this, do that.. it's so annoying. I'll have to figure out a way to get the 3200 fast. Maybe I can sell off some of my star wars collection. Would you be interested in possibly trading for some Star Wars memorabilia? It's a long shot but worth a try.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-10-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Aghh! what gives? Not even if you throw in the Darth Vader helmet?

damn, 419eater is for real! those guys are serious.

bill, do you know what justifies a "kill" on there? ed: sp?

(Message edited by denverd1 on June 10, 2008)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Hehe, the point of 419eater is to waste so much of the Nigerian's time that they don't have the time to screw someone else.
Basically screw them before they screw us.

Good stuff Ian. I only caution you to keep it low key since your using your own address & name. Those others of you who are doing it completely anonymously, pull out the brass knuckles & hit'em hard.

If you read thru the forums on the 419eater.com site, they have pictures of the Nigerians doing some really stupid stuff. You have to remember that they barely speak english. So if you ask them to get a picture of themselves dressed as Santa screwin a chicken...... and convince them that it's a symbol of peace & harmony...... I'd say thats pretty much a "kill".

Gotta be pretty creative to pull it off though. But check that site out. Those guys treat it like a sport. Some of them have run into some CRAZY situations.

About the worst I've stirred things up was the one time I actually got down to making the payment. I won't go into a lot of details on what I did (don't need to don't hang myself), but suffice it to say the guy got really pissed off going from one Western Union office to another trying to claim his check & he kept getting rejected. I was surprised he didn't get arrested.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on June 10, 2008)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
I had one guy send me 3 checks delivered to me in my name, from a real bank account that was closed years ago in Seattle ( weird), so in general they paid for shipping 3 times, and I kept telling him that I recieved the envelope with no check inside, all three checks were from Seattle (shipped from Nigerai) and different names on the checks, I gave them to WA. MU. and they sent them up to their fraud dept.

Have them send check over and over again, eventually they just move on all pissed off.. LOL
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-11-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
that 419eater site is quite the site. I think some of the guys make this there full time job or something. Read through a few posts and had some good laughs.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-11-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
I've got my transcript on that 419 site! Check out the letters archive..."Captain Kirk, rare salmon and Mangoo" by "yooper"

It was really fun.
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-11-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
OIB, you should have brought this over to the DC site. Were you part of the ongoing string LT had going.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
HA! Jamie, that is friggin hilarious! Owned is RIGHT!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
This is one of the best scams on scammers I have seen...
Too funny!

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Kirk I read the whole thing start to finish... did you see the very end?

"3) Finally, and most disturbingly, Jeff was not heard from again. I personally e-mailed him for permission to run his story on ZUG, but after an initial response, I never heard from him again. All of his Web sites have come down, and he is nowhere to be found.

Jeff, wherever you are, this P-P-P-Powerbook's for you."
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
man that was funny
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-13-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
See the Ebola Monkey site for excellent scammer duping.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/index.html