Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       07-06-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
I've been trying w2w jumps for a couple weeks and can't seem to clear to the next. My progressive edge is great and have no problem with that but I always end up with half of my board on the wake. We put 840# on my friend's wakesetter and i kept getting more air than distance across the wake. Should i try going faster or am i doing something wrong.
Old                07-06-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
pull your rope in all the way and see how that works...
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2005, 11:37 PM Reply   
I have the same problem sometimes. My friend tells me to cut really hard at the wake like im trying to pull away from the boat and keep the handle at my hips. but my problem is i'll cut hard enought, but right at the last second before i hit the wake i chicken out and dont hit the wake hard enough to make it and sometimes i'll land right on top of the other wake. But hes also telling me (and its working) is to not cut out so far, but start maybee 8 feet from the wake and cut really hard and keep going out farther and farther until i cut out all the way and get comferatable with the speed and stuff. Good luck with that.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
I actually cut out really far where im probobally about 30 feet away from the boat and am comfortable with the speed but im guessin i keep the rope too high.
Old    alanp            07-07-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
my guess is something is breaking down in the process. you need just a few feet to be able to clear the wake. decent wakeboarders can do it from the whitewash. anyway start from about 8 feet out. keep everything rigid when cutting into the wake. when i say everything i mean hips, elbows, knees, waist, arms elbows. once the boat has turned you towards the wake nothing should move. most beginners break at the waist and or move something before they jump.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
are you suggesting that i should stay still when hitting the first wake?
Old    alanp            07-07-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
yes have a little bend in your knees once you start you cut in. keep everything stiff/rigid. once you hit the top of the wake, extend your legs. thats it. practice just small wake jumps/one wake at first. then take it a little bigger. make sure your standing tall and not bent over-at all.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       07-08-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
I can actually get some air like 3-4 feet off the wake sometimes even higher. I just can't seem to clear it. Im gonna try riding +1-2mph quicker
Old    alanp            07-08-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
great about your height however you dont have a progressive edge. sounds like you are taking alot of speed into the wake and then flattening out. this can cause you to get some decent height but not distance. next time you ride practice what i have mentioned and hopefully you will start to add distance. for reference i can clear my wake no problem at 65 feet at 20 mph from inside the whitewash. you can try shortening the rope too.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-08-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
If you're not clearing the wake, it's because you're not holding your edge all the way up and through the wake.
Old                07-08-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
I too have had problems clearing the wake,I actually started trying alot of what you guys are saying with edging the whole way throught the wake, and standing tall at the top. What a difference! I only cut out about 8-10ft. and the pop actually sneaks up on ya, just gotta stay leaning back keeping a tight rope against the boat so I dont get thrown off balance.
Old                06-26-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Can someone please give me an idea where I am going wrong? This is a slightly different take on a problem that has come up before. No matter what I do I can`t get W2W. My daughter came out last weekend and took loads of photos In every one of me my legs are bent just as I have popped off the wake, so this weekend I went back out and tried to make sure I was standing tall when I hit the wake, but my mates tell me I was still bending my legs and hunched over, and although I got further I didn`t get anywhere near to the other side. I know I have to edge progressively all the way up the wake. I know I have to keep the handle down low and tight etc. I seem to have trouble timing when to stand tall. If I get that right I find I haven`t edged all the way, or I loose it in mid air. But mostly I can`t make myself stand tall. How far should I bend my legs and when should I start extending them again? Anyone got any ideas?? It`s really doing my head in!
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Kevin,

You're not alone. My buddies tell me the same thing when I'm jumping. The only way I've been able to clear the wake so far is to cut way out, charge hard and press down as hard as I can with my legs. I barely make it across. I know the technique isn't correct, but it is a start. They tell me that if I popped the wake properly at that speed and edge I should be landing 10ft out in the flats.

Every time I try the correct way (8-10 ft cutout, progressive edge, handle in at waist, stand tall) I end up leaning back really far (from me loading the line) up the wake and right from the pop, I get thrown off-axis and land on my back. Happens everytime. Everyone says nice pop but I haven't figured out how to fly and land correctly. I know it's gotta be something in my approach and I hope to get it one day. The whiplash is murder.

If I figure it out anytime soon, I'll share it with you. And I'll have video in the next week or two.
Old     (devast8r)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-09-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
i got the simple fix i was having this problem i was fighting it and trying to get more pop change rope lenght and all kinds of other things but i had a buddy out and he said that when i would cut accros that i would stop cutting about 5 feet before so i didnt have the speed to clear the wake just do everything normal cut out then wait then cut hard all the right befor you hit the wake then jump and if that doesnt help cut all the way through cuz you might think you are cutting until like 1 foot but its realy like 5 feet ps that just worked for me and i havent been riding long since thing i was getting like 4 foot or so now im at like 6 but my best is like 8 and i know thats not great but i have only been riding like 10 times
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-10-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Rope length, wake size, boat speed and all that does not matter all that much, as long as they're within what's usual. All that really matters is riding technique. That means: a clean progressive cut, holding your edge through the wake while NOT flattening off, keeping the handle in a low position and really close to your lead hip, and, very very important, popping late and from the TOP of the wake by standing very tall! It looks easy when a good rider does this, but it is not easy to learn, because it's all about positioning your body the right way and, sure enough, good timing! Learn to jump w2w the correct way and your first backroll will be right around the corner. Keep at it, try to improve every time you go out and you will finally get better. Also watch instructionals like "The Book". They are very helpful and easy to understand. Hope this helps.