Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-18-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
I seen someone wakesurfing this weekend for the first time. I thought it was really cool!!

Can this be done (by a beginner) behind an 21 foot open bow I/O with a waketower? Is it safe behind an I/O?

Thanks
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-18-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
NO!!!!!! enough said!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-18-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
Check out www.wakeoutlaws.com or www.inlandsurfer.com and read the safety code.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-18-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Didn't think so, just thought I'd ask...looks pretty cool though!!
Old     (zack21v)      Join Date: May 2008       08-18-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
Glad you asked before you tried it.

Saw an I/O at our local lake with a surfboard in one of the racks. My dad talked to the guy when we pulled our boat out and I guess his daughter surfs behind it and he thought it was safe because they have a larger swim platform. He told the guy next time she wants to surf flag to us down.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Saw someone the other day behind i/o before we could stop them . They tried to throw the rope back into the boat. handle went into prop boat stop surfer in back seat. wish I could of got a picture happened to fast.
Old     (underwater)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-19-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
How is Wakesurfing off a standard 60' wakeboard rope?

I have a stern drive boat, and recently started wakeskating. I like it more then wakeboarding. I don't do any tricks, just kind of like riding and cutting back an fourth across the wake. The only problem is I fall a lot because of less stability without boots to hold my feet to the board. I was thinking a wakesurf board is larger and would add more stability.

Please note, I would never try real wakesurfing (just off the stern of my boat) with an I/O. With 60' of rope between me and the prop I believe safety isn't an issue. I know I would need to hold the rope the whole time. Just looking for a fun, stable ride.

Let me know
Old    surfdad            08-19-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Hey Laury,

Back in the day, before free surfing was popular, Shred Stixx introduced their original shape. It's a pintail gun. Folks would shorten the rope up a bit, I think that Jerry recommends something like 20 feet and then you ride at around 20+ mph. It's certainly a fun alternative and later when you get better, the turns feel like you riding double overhead at Jaws. :-) Not that know what that feels like, but I have a good imagination. :-)

We've done some line riding at wakeboard speeds and it's an enjoyable pasttime - certainly doable. IMO, it does offer more stability than a wakeskate, especially of your riding the board with a tri-fin or thruster configuration, however the down side to that was it was REALLY a chore to turn the board.

The original shred stixx page
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
We ride a surf board all the time on a longer rope lots of fun. wake to wake gets ugly