Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (beachshack)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-12-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
I'm looking at adding Wakesurfing to our weekends and have heard good things about this surfboard. It will be used as a universal board meaning everyone will be using it. Roughly the weights using it will go from 225 down to 125.

Let me know if you think this is a good enough universal board. None of us have ever done this before.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-12-2009, 11:29 PM Reply   
curt- the broadcast 5'6" is exactly what we started with as beginners and it seemed to fit a majority of peeps in that weight range and beginner/intermediate ability. It has been a decent board for progressing to spins and very limited ollies. There are probably better 'beginner' boards, but they could soon be outgrown and you may get bored with them (ie-hyperlite landlock). There are definately better boards for spins/airs, but at the stage you and your crew is at, the broadcast 5'6" is a great board.

If you go with the broadcast, I would get both sets of fins for the board. I have the '06 model and it came with the bigger set of 3 fins. I believe the '07's and newer come with the smaller fins. Would probably help to get both sets if feasible to help cater to your rider's different abilities as they progress.

You may want to check out or demo inland surfer 'blue lake'. The blue lake seems to be a good beginner/intermediate that caters to a lot of sizes and abilities.
Old     (beachshack)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-13-2009, 4:45 AM Reply   
do the better surfers use two fins and less experience use the three?
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
I think the 225 lb rider would struggle with the Broadcast. I also started with a Broadcast and have had trouble getting anybody over 200 lbs to be able to ride the Broadcast. It is a good starter board as ICE said, but its not a good big guy board. Just know that the 200+ guys will get frustrated real fast on that board.

I always start beginners out with 3 fins for the stability. Once you can ride ropeless easily then it is more fun to remove the rear fin.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-13-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
yeah- I weigh 250-ish now and 250 when I purchased the broadcast in '06. It's the board that I learned to surf on. There were other boards that were more bouyant and could hold me (aka-225lb+) better, but I figured it out (maybe that's why it took me so long to figure it out :-)? BTW- Im the only one in my crew over 225lbs so I guess I 'took one for the team' in forcing myself to learn on this board vs a bigger one. The other's have learned fine on it.

Also, the main reason why I went with the broadcast back in '06 vs the blue lake, red woody, or landlock was because it was the only big board that fit in my roswell racks...kind of a dumb reason, but I didn't know any better @ the time and that's why I went with it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-13-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
It's a good starter board. Nice and stable and good for beginners. I'm 210 to 220. The board was fine for my weight. One of my crew is 260; the boards a little small for him.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
I don't know if its the right board for you, but I just ordered the same board for the same reason. Going out this weekend so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what it can do. I hope I'm not one of the frustrated cuz I'm also in the 200ish range. If you want this board though, I think I found a pretty good buy at Sports LTD in Cali. I saw an ad for them in one of the mags. No website, call only, but I got the 09 broadcast for 219 shipped. Plus I think until the end of may they are giving free Regiment wakeboard handle. I just got my delivery from them a few days ago, seemed reasonable.
Old     (beachshack)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-18-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Jeremy do you have their telephone number. That is a great price on and 09 Broadcast since I can't find an 07 for that price.

The telephone # would be really appreciated.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Hey Curt,

Their phone number is 818-225-RIDE

I spoke with Danny.

Make sure you mention the free handle if you want it because I think they are offering it at a discount, but in "Wakeboarding" mag it said "free t-shirt and free handle and free shipping" on phone orders over $99. And I got it all included when I asked for it.
Old     (beachshack)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-25-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Just ordered the board from Sports LTD and they were great, and sent the shirt and handle. Thank you so much for your comments.