Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
Negotiating on a '13 Limited for my wife and just wondering if anyone has one of the newer Explorers. We chose it finally over a 4Runner. Just want a little feedback from owners before pulling the trigger. Also, if Hate or anyone has any information as far as pricing in concerned I'd love some help. We're looking at a '13 Limited demo, 5k miles, original sticker is $50,5xx and they have it marked at $44,500 with all current rebates already taken off. How much better do you think I could do?

This will be a daily driver and not a row vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!
Old    9Drozd            02-25-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
My mom just bought a loaded up 13 Explorer Sport. With incentives and rebates they paid right at 42k before trade in. She had to have it ordered to get the color and all the options she wanted. The car is really nice inside however my ford touch is going to be the biggest concern as far as reliability and glitchyness. It has its hiccups here and there, so maybe future updates will fix that issue. Overall the car is extremely nice and super fun to drive with the ecoboost v6.
Old    mmcorrectax            02-25-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
My wife and I purchased a 13' XLT, leather, sync, power lift, V6, AWD, Tow. It is incredible so far. We bought it with 20 miles, have 3500 now, and still love it. Great in the snow, we live in MN, have not pulled anything with it yet, but it feels big when you drive it. Lots of room, I am 5'11" and can sit in the 3rd row pretty comfortably.

We paid $34,400 I believe, the Limited we were looking at was $44,700. We couldn't justify based on the differences we saw.

It is an awesome vehicle, we are getting 17.7 MPG for reference, and that is with my driving miss daisy wife driving it mostly.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2013, 2:51 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm about your size and noticed the 3rd row room as well. My brothers Acura MDX is tiny back there. We have mainly leaned toward the limited as we want black on black and in the Midwest heat my wife likes the cooled seats. Also, finding a loaded XLT around here has been troubling as that is the route I would rather go.
Old    mmcorrectax            02-25-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
We got the heated seats as well, not cooled, i am sure i will regret it on the black seats in the summer. the black grill is the one limited option i want. One of my customers has family with a Ford dealership, they found me the options we wanted, and did a dealer trade, they were great. If anyone is interested Todd or Tim at Waconia Ford.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-25-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
BCPMike is picking his up tomorrow. I rented one it was awesome. What is row vehicle? Just kidding.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-25-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Aside from not being able to mentally process $45-50k for a midsize American SUV, I'd think you could do better than that. IF I was looking at a NEW car I'd be wanting 10% at least off the sticker before I even started talking with them. You're talking a use one. For that kind of coin I'd be looking for a Denali or Expedition loaded.
Quick Craigslist sanity check here in Seattle where EVERYTHING is expensive shows new '13 Exploder limiteds advertised at $43k and used ones with low miles advertised for under $40k.
That's before haggling on price.

Guess I'd say high 30s would be a good price if it's "the one" you want. (Don't ever act like it's "the one" though in front of the salesman. Act like you're just looking for "another car.")
It's an Explorer for gods sake. They were a POS on wheels for years and now they are the BMW of domestic SUV's?
(Not dissing your choice of vehicles, we have some at work here and they are waaaay better than the previous generations, just think you could knock them down more on price.)

Last edited by Thrall; 02-25-2013 at 5:56 PM. Reason: cvb
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
That much for an Explorer? I got a F-150 Super Crew 4x4 Lariat Plus (everything but the DVD player in the back) for 43k out the door. There is no way I would pay more than about 38k for that SUV especially it being a demo. If you're willing to pay that much you might as well just haggle them down on an Expedition and really have some room and a tow vehicle.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
If its the sport is should have the bigger engine. If your going to tow I think that is the only choice. The other engines will struggle with a wake boat.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-26-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
The explorer can only tow 5000 lbs max. Be very wary going that route if you own a wakeboard boat, which will most likely be over that limit when you add trailer, fuel, gear, and passengers in car. Know you said not a tow vehicle, but you never know!
Old     (BLP)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-26-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
We have ordered a 13 Explorer Sport in white, supposed to take delivery March 18. I am hoping it turns out to be a great vehicle, the Explorer has come along way and has lots of cool features, and it has a twin turbo V6 pushing close to 370 hp!!!!
Old    9Drozd            02-26-2013, 10:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLP View Post
We have ordered a 13 Explorer Sport in white, supposed to take delivery March 18. I am hoping it turns out to be a great vehicle, the Explorer has come along way and has lots of cool features, and it has a twin turbo V6 pushing close to 370 hp!!!!
Its not a full on put you in the back of your seat type of acceleration. You'll feel it ease itself in, then look down at your speedometer and realize your doing 90 getting on the highway. Passing cars on a 2 lane road is an afterthought. it does it so effortlessly its not even funny. It hardly ever comes out of overdrive, even on steep hills. You'll love the car. It really handles well, and is such a quiet smooth ride. You'll notice some torque steer when jumping on the gas, but its not bad.
Old     (BLP)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-27-2013, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, we are excited to get the vehicle. We probably won't tow much with it because the boats are heavier than 5000lbs with a trailer. We only tow 15 kilometres to the lake so I won't worry to much about pulling a Z3 the short distance. We have a new diesel if towing any Long distances. I've driven the Ecoboost half tons and was impressed so I'm sure this vehicle will do the same.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
I've been posting on this forum for 10 years and sometimes the people on here still make me laugh!. I guess I'll blame myself for not spell checking and putting "row" instead of tow when I was stating this wouldn't be a tow vehicle. That would then explain why 3 people felt the need to explain to me that this would not be a good tow vehicle.

I also have to laugh at Thrall. He won't pay $44,000 for this technically advanced 2 year old domestic, but offers that the Denali and Expedition, both virtually unchanged for 5+ years and outdated would be good options. The Expedition is a piece! I also don't want to pay the fuel bill on the Denali engine since I WON'T BE TOWING ANYTHING.

I appreciate everyone's help and even though some were off topic, that is what leads to most of the fun on WakeWorld.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-28-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
I've been posting on this forum for 10 years and sometimes the people on here still make me laugh!. I guess I'll blame myself for not spell checking and putting "row" instead of tow when I was stating this wouldn't be a tow vehicle. That would then explain why 3 people felt the need to explain to me that this would not be a good tow vehicle.

I also have to laugh at Thrall. He won't pay $44,000 for this technically advanced 2 year old domestic, but offers that the Denali and Expedition, both virtually unchanged for 5+ years and outdated would be good options. The Expedition is a piece! I also don't want to pay the fuel bill on the Denali engine since I WON'T BE TOWING ANYTHING.

I appreciate everyone's help and even though some were off topic, that is what leads to most of the fun on WakeWorld.
I have to agree with them...if I was paying mid-40's for a mid-size SUV, and Exploder wouldn't be even considered. Why not look at:

BMW X5
VW Touareg
Infiniti JX
ML Benz
Acura MDX
Audi Q5

For my money, I say get much more for that mid 40's and buy a couple year old certified pre-owned SUV. Same warranty length as a new vehicle but someone else eats the big depreciation hit. I'm thinking Porsche Cayenne S, BMW X5 M, Audi Q7, or the like. But that's just me.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Nitrous,

Fair questions -

First off, I am not a guy that is going to buy something a little older so that I can afford something that I couldn't new. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy used to save a little money, but I would never go older just so I could get into something that I probably couldn't afford new, as it's a terrible financial decision. With that being said, my wife drives about 25k a year, so we wouldn't buy anything with more than 5-10k on it already. I went the pre-owned route last time and bought a G35 with 30k on it to save a little money, but being that I do about 30k a year, I was in the 6 figures way too fast.

Also, I don't think that if you have actually been in a new generation Explorer you can even classify it as the old "Exploder." This is a different beast and Ford probably should have just re-named it like every other car company does these days. This is a completely different vehicle from the previous generation.

Now on to your suggestions:

X5 - See above about not getting out of my price range. I would probably be in the 70s or higher if I got the X5 I thought looked decent. I really am not the biggest fans of these anyway. Was never an option as I wouldn't want to pay the maintenance when it came out of warranty.

Touareg - Actually my preference in TDI form, but with similar options to the Explorer, we're talking around $60-62k. Can't justify the difference. See X5 as well about maintenance.

JX - Hideous, never an option for us.

ML - Again, pushing the limits of what I want to pay by the time I option it to where I would want to be. One of my favority vehicles though, especially if I needed a little more power.

MDX - My brother has a '13 and though it's a rock, even with Tech package does not compare to the options list on the Explorer. Put a Tech loaded MDX at about $55k up against a loaded Limited Explorer and I'd take the Explorer all day long. This could change with the next gen MDX. It's just too dated at this point.

Q5 - I assume you mean the Q7, as the 5 doesn't come close in room compared to the Explorer. Too small. The Q7 is very nice, but again very dated. What are we, in year 7 with the only major additions being cute little LED running lights?

As far as the others listed, Porsche wouldn't get two looks if it didn't have that badge. I don't need a sports car, I need an SUV. X5M is nice, but again, need an SUV. This is going to be a daily driver used for hauling equipment to the lake, two large dogs, driving around town, football tailgaiting in the fall, hauling bikes, etc. If I was looking for a towing SUV, I would go QX56 hands down. If the need for actually towing the boat comes up though, I'll just by an F150 for myself.

This was a long process and I've driven virtually everything in the $40-60k range and say what you want, but IMO the Explorer is the class of that group as far as the intagibles we are looking for. Good looking (IMO), decent gas mileage, lots of tech features (SYNC, Adaptive Cruise, etc.), decent size but not too big, third row that stows flat, etc. For some of you guys Ford could throw a Lincoln badge on it and it would be gods gift in that class. The care of what people thought of the badge on my car went away when I hit 30 and actually made decent money. No need to pretend anymore.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2013, 3:00 PM Reply   
Oh, and Nitrous, just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be an @ss with those comments. Those were all great questions and I like some spirited discussion. You never know when someone might throw something out that you hadn't thought about.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-28-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
the only touareg that is near that price is the executive. i bought a brand new 2012 tdi lux with more options that i can figure out and paid otd $50250. yes a lot but i love the fuel mileage and the way it tows. also that includes 3 years maintance along with 100K warranty.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-28-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post

Like you said, it's a forum and we all have opinions and the other thing that those opinions are like........
Note I said I like the new Exploders, just not for the better part of $50k.
I think you could chew them down considerably on price, that's all.
I wouldn't even buy a Ford, so there! hahaa jk
I'm not the person that likes the latest/greatest tech in most things (except for snowmobiles). I purposely bought the last of the pre-emissions diesels witha manual trans and plan to drive the wheels off it.
Even though I could afford new, but would rather not spend money I don't need to, bought my wife a 6 year old car last fall, becasue that was the one we liked. Proven drivetrain, proven accessories, not so technologically complicated that you need to bust out the owners manual to start it or turn the headlights off!
Same with the boat, purposely bought the boat I have now for the older style, more stable tower (less flashy though), no emissions equipment and no digital touchscreen dash to run it.

Good luck with your purchase, it's all in fun.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Exactly!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-28-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
" I would never go older just so I could get into something that I probably couldn't afford new, as it's a terrible financial decision." I would have to strongly disagree with this comment. It makes very good sense to take advantage of the fact that vehicles depreciate most in first few years.
Old    9Drozd            02-28-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
^^^ What happens when the warranty expires and you have to foot the repair bill. Can you really afford the higher end car at this point? That would be my main concern. I suppose if you sell it before the warranty expires, then it's a moot point. Just food for thought.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-28-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
You don't have to buy higher end. What I love about american cars is they are so much cheaper to get repaired than european. And if you wait 2-3 years you still save a ton of dough on one. Plus all vehicles are pretty good these days.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-28-2013, 9:32 PM Reply   
No way I'd pay that for a front wheel drive explorer. Personally, for that size vehicle I would look at a Durango. Just as nice IMO and probably 10k cheaper. 50k is in the luxury car realm. My wife's awd Lincoln MKX has the my touch system and it is buggy. Typical Microsoft product.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-01-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
Scott, I don't think you understood my point. I wasn't saying that buying a used car was a poor financial decision, I was stating that buying something used so you could move up a class was a poor financial decision. Say buying a 4 year old Range Rover instead of a 1 year old Explorer, etc. as you are going to start to run into repair costs, etc. that you probably can't afford as Thomas said. Obviously not taking the depreciation hit is sound.

Preston, this was 4 wheel drive.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-01-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
The reason people make comments on towing is that this is a boating forum and if you wanted to talk cars you'd generally go to a car forum. No matter what you say now, the day will likely come when anything with a hitch in the back will have a need to tow a boat. Best to either make sure it's capable, or buy something that doesn't have the hitch and therefore the temptation. We bought an MDX several years ago, didn't worry about the tow rating because we had a truck (was looking at a land rover as well). Several times we've wanted to pull with it, wasn't an option without exceeding the rating.

That's just real life, IMO. Take it FWIW but when you own a boat, I see no reason to buy any vehicle of an suv/truck type that won't pull the boat, even if it's not intended as the primary tow vehicle.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
We bought a limited. We looked at some others like the X-5 but like above could not justify 70K for it. My wife is really the car person but I really like the explorer (looks good and I really like the controls). Only sad part was seeing our 335 BMW go bye bye. But that is what happens when you start a family.
Attached Images

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-01-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Mike, very nice!

pprior, I guess I don't agree in the slightest that you should buy for something you have absolutely no intention of doing, especially when you would be giving up 5-10 mpg on a higher mileage vehicle.
Old     (SCA)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-01-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
Sharp looking ride!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-01-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
I actually do agree with him. I bought like 2 vehicles thinking I would never want to tow with it. And guess what? I wished I could tow with it. The mileage trade off always seems like a good idea until like a year later. Then I am like - jeez what was I thinking? Should have got the v6 instead of the 4 cylinder gmc terrain.

My wifes drives a 2001 mercedes ml320. We bought it used for $17k like 5 years ago. So my point is you can get a luxury vehicle really reasonable if you wait a few years. We have had virtually no problems. The ol lady bounces it off of posts. I take the rubbing compound to it to get the yellow off and send her back on the road. It pulled the 2008 super air 210 out with no problem. The 4 wheel drive in snow is unbelieveable - with the right tires.

If she ever wants to get rid of it for something that can't tow the boat, then i guess i have to trade in the 4 cyl terrain too. I would probably look at jeep grand cherokee laredo.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Found a used '13 Limited for $33k, going to check it out tonight. It has just under 20k on it. Looks to be lot more in line with what everyone expected of a sub-luxury mid size.
Old     (sgoyal)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-04-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Very nice looking.. I was debating between Explorer 13 and Pathfinder 13.. But SL Pathfinder was in our budget, So we went with that one...

Congrats..
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
Any thought on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you are not a Jeep guy no worries, but the V-6 option is going to get close to similar fuel mileage. Wife and I looked at them and a 4x4 with the hemi is our next vehicle. Parents just picked up a nicely optioned limited for 40k OTD in So Cal.

My buddy has an Explorer and he is very happy with it. I do not think he paid that much for it, but every market is different for the same vehicle.

Good Luck!!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2013, 10:30 PM Reply   
Went with the used '13 tonight. We got a good price and it was in excellent condition, better than the demo we looked at for $44k. After looking at everything, we just thought it fit our needs best. Thank you everyone for the comments and info.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
Sorry I'm late to the party haven't been on a ton lately. That's a great deal on that explorer assuming its 4x4. The problem with demos is that even though it's been driven it still considered new and the owner still owns it for the same price so they don't wanna deal on them like you think they should. Looks like you got a base limited that came out of rental service. Does it have navigation or does it say information in the upper right corner?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-05-2013, 12:49 PM Reply   
Hate, yeah no navi. I've never been a big fan of navi in vehicles as easy as it comes by phone etc and its usually overpriced. Are you talking Ford rental or from a normal rental agency? Seems to be in excellent condition for a rental. Any problems I should look for? It is 4wd. That was the only sticking point. My wife also wanted panoramic roof and remote start which she got. I liked the Limiteds center console better as well with the upgraded stereo. We were hoping for cooled seats and power gate and power fold seats but wasn't worth another $3-6k.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
They come out of basic rental service just like what you would get at the airport. They are always well maintained mechanically but can get roughed up cosmetically by the various users but it sounds like you got a good one. I'd have no problem owning one that was in good shape such add yours and have. If you do want navigation via the car you can get it through sync services or you can stream music through your phone and run you navigation app which will then stream the turn by turn through the speakers. Ford now also offers a navigation upgrade to the MyTouch system for $795. If you wanna try out Sirius you can call them and say you just bought a used rig and wanna try bit out, they should offer you three free months.

Its nice that you got power loft gate and roof that's a low commodity on the rental rigs.

Enjoy, you got a very nice high quality rig for a great price.

Incidentally I left Ford last week back to being self employed
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-06-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hate, thanks for all the info. I was a little worried for a little while as I probably didn't do as much research on this particular car as I should have as the price was so good and I bought it through someone I knew at a trusted dealership. Never like to hear the word rental! It seems like it was taken care of exceptionally well or the dealer did work on it. The outside is in great shape and I'm very particular. One more question for you. What all is involved with the Ford Class III tow package? This doesn't have a hitch on it and I want to install one for my bike rack and if it's not overly expensive I was just going to add the tow package for resale purposes.

Also, owners, has anyone figured out how to allow the radio to play once you have switched from handfree to the handset only on the phone. It is too quiet in there when my wife is on her phone. I know my Accord does this automatically when you switch back to the handset.

This is my 3rd Ford (04/07 F150s) and so far with my experience I have had just as good of quality as I have come to expect with the Honda/Acura products that I usually drive. I'm hoping my wife continues to enjoy it as much as she is right now. Seems to be a great car.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
Tranny cooler, received and four flat pin connector. If you're just wanting it for a bike rack you can just do the receiver though.

I'm not sure there is a way to get the radio to play while the phone is on privacy mode.

If you typically drive when both you and your wife are in the car your phone should be set to the cars favorite.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-06-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
Thank you. Good luck with your next venture.
Old     (MantisTaboggin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-17-2013, 12:10 AM Reply   
We bought a 2012 Limited and have had it for a little over a year. Great rig..the thing parks itself!
Power everything including the thrid row seat. Not to mention the adaptive cruise control. We were looking at the MDX but too much raod noise, less interior room and we would have had to pay extra for the power lift gate. We love our Explorer and like buying American!