Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-10-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
History:

I've pretty much been riding Byerly's since almost day one and my last pair (05's I think?) pretty much did away with the forward lean so I don't really have ties to them anymore. Since I'll be getting a LF board (Lyman) I am going to try LF boots since I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about them.

What boots should I get that will be fairly similar in feel to my Byerly's? I want my foot to be snug in there without getting heel lift but I want it to be flexible since the newer bindings these days seem so klunky.

Also, I've never ridden Closed toe. Should I try them or just stick to open toe?

I've searched the board here but haven't really found anything that answered my specific questions.

Thanks!
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Hi,if you want a boot that will make you feel like the board is part of your feet get the 08 Hyperlite Murrays.You can get them dirt cheap at Grizzlysport a seller on Ebay or at their website.Go low on the offers they tend to take outragously low offers.the boots are flexable up top and secure at the bottom plus there is great weight to turn time,like you think about turning and your already turning.Truly a step above any 08 binding.i rode liquid force for awhile their boots are good but when i saw Mr.Murray's 08 boot I thought i would try it and like it.But then when it broke(belive me you can tell)i was in love only thing i think i can ride other than the 09 Murrays.I know their not liquid force but at the very least try them out.the liquid force are good but this this is like going from a honda to a mercedez.Thank you Mr.Murray for designing these.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
I loved the old byerlys... and since then I've been on a lot, but these are the ones I've used enough to get a good feel for:

Temet/Murrays 06/07 (old style) - nice boot heel lift happened a lot though

Ronix - Cell 07' - HATED

LF Shane 07' - AWESOME - no pressure points, good side-to-side flex, soft base, locked down

SS D2 - AWESOME - super soft, locked down feelings, easiest on/off ever - stiff when ankle harness is in, softer when it is out

If I was you I would for sure go closed toe, and from there either look at
LF Shane/Watson, SS D2/3 or Byerly's new one has adjustable forward lean, you may like that
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hi,if you want a boot that will make you feel like the board is part of your feet get the 08 Hyperlite Murrays.You can get them dirt cheap at Grizzlysport a seller on Ebay or at their website.Go low on the offers they tend to take outragously low offers.theboots are flexable up top and secure at the bottom plus there is great weight to turn time,like you think about turning and your already turning.Truly a step above any 08 binding.i rode liquid force for awhile their boots are good but when i saw Mr.Murray's 08 boot I thought i would try it and i liked it,but then when it broke in(belive you can tell)I was in love and then they blew LF boots out the water in my book.I Know their not LF boots but at the very least try these out i love them.But wear socks with these particular boots.it makes getting in and out easier and you won't move at all even on the hardest landings and also the main reason for wearing socks is so the boot doesn't rub your cafs like without the socks.don't dis the socks till you try them they work.My last boots were 06 domains when i upgraded it was like going from a honda to a Mercedez.truly the best boot i have ridden in to date.overall my fav but you my want try before you buy them to see if you like the closed toe felling.I like it and think you will to.Thank you,Mr.Murray for designing these we are all in your debt or at least till we all pick up the 09s which you told me were better(cause you can go sockless).So just telling you what I think about them.

(Message edited by michaelb on February 10, 2009)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-10-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
I would not recommend the 08 Murrays, they are pretty fragile and honestly not the most comfortable boot on the market.

I too rocked the Byerlys from the original orange mess they had. I loved that forward lean. I can't suggest any of the new LF boots, simply because I haven't ridden them. Obviously everyone is going to tell you to ride what they do. I'll do the same, ride what I ride, cuz clearly I think they are the awesomeness!!

As for CT, its preference. Perhaps a little warmth in winter, aside from that its a look and a feel. Its kinda nice to be all enclosed.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
I tried on the LF vantage when I was shopping. Insanely comfy and fairly flexy (plus super easy to get in and out of)

For me, I wanted a stiffer boot so I went with Watson's.

The lymans were OK (although ugly) but I felt like I couldn't get them tight around the ankle with the velcro.

The shanes were also nice, and had a bit more mobility than the Watson but less than the vantage.

They footbeds on all LF boots are so comfy
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-10-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
I was definitely hesitant to put up this post for that reason and I usually can tell what I want after just trying something on but it seems that boots have changed so much in the last few years that I would need some help.

Michael, thanks for the feedback but I've never really cared for the Murray's, they just have never fit my foot right and unless I'm wrong, they are probably catered to the same style foot they always have been?

I really appreciate any feedback from people like Nick who used to ride Byerly's but I will take any and all. Thanks and keep em coming!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-10-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Trapper, Lyman has a boot? I don't see it anywhere.

Sounds like I need to try on the Shane and the Vantage.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-10-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
I have the 07 Shane's and they are really comfortable. I really like the 09's, if you can get past the looks( I like them though), a friend of mine has them and I really, really liked the way they felt. I will probably get the 09 ltd Shanes or Watson's when they come out. I like the baseless system and since they are stiched at the bottom and not glued, like the rest of them, they should last longer as well. I really like LF's bindings. I just think their upper end products are super comfy and fit my foot really well. The foot bed is so soft. The new Alpha looks really good too. I'm also going to look into them. The feel of this "middle of the road" binding is what the high end stuff was just a year or two ago. SO you'll get a great binding at a great price. The 08 Vantage is probably the nicest feeling binding I've ever put on but I've not tried the 09. I think they changed it a little. I'm curious to see how the new Ronix One's feel as well. I'm switching to closed toe next time as they are a better binding in my opinion. I have the open toe shanes and can't wait to get my closed toe Shane or Watson this summer. Hope this helps.
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
hi,i understand if you don't care for the Murrays.my next best suggestion would be the 09 Ronix Ones my friend got some like a week ago and we tried them out in his lake(being pulled from the top of his parents suburban)they were really good i thought was super cushy and and had nice weight to turn time.and they only weigh 1.7!! and they made your feet feel like part of the board.overall if i wasn't kickin it with the Murrays me and the Ones would be pretty tight.believe the cost SO WORTH IT!!!.and as for being pulled by a suburban in januwary in Mississippi it was a lot of fun till you wreck and froze your bells off waiting for your turn to ride.all in all i would recommend both the boots and the suburban pull technique(as long as you go from bank to bank your fine with closed toe bindings in the winter but as soon as you wreck talk about cold).just throwing this out there you can decide whether or not to pursue these boots.you decide.

Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Sorry I ment Sovens not Lymans (I typed that pre coffee)
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
the 09 Byerlys have boa that adjusts the forward lean if you are looking for alot of forward lean.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-10-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Hey bowles, that sounds like fun. We have 60 deg here in WI today and there is a layer of water above the ice on my lake. I was thinking of doing something like that!
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
edjar i would be careful when we did it one at a time it worked fine but then with two people cutting hard the same way it pulled the car like a half foot when it hit the mud then it straghtened up.so becareful.

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-10-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
yup...09 byerly boas have the boa that completely adjust the forward lean to exactly where you want it. they are pretty flexible too. very comfy
Old     (joe_burgess)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-11-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
iv just got the hyperlite clash board. now need bindings and dont no what 2get was lookin at the 08 byerly or the 09 murrays. iv sin the murrays fro £320 any one no if i can get them any cheaper. And what bindings do u think i should get.
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Well at 320, that would be about $460 u.s. and they have the 09 Murrays for 380 u.s. (so 265) at boardersmall.com. They're usually the cheapest place, but with shipping to England I'm not sure how much you would be saving. Boadersmall also has 08 Byerly bindings for 180 u.s. (125). Best of luck with your decision.
Old     (joe_burgess)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-11-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
thanks m8. but really dont on if 2 get the 08 byerlys or the 09 marrays.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
09 Byerly Boas are Soooo Sick!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-11-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
blabelmooch, the sovens are probably the stiffest bindings in the lf line. check out the shanes if you want flexibility.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-12-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
all the 09 hyperlite/byerly bindings got new footbeds and tongues that are very comfortable and dont have the pressure points that the 08s had (at least for me). Definitely worth the extra money for the increase in comfort.