Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
I am thinking about purchasing the Wet Sounds double up which consist of the a pair of MB-80's and a pair of Pro 60's. I currently have a Kicker 250.2 and will this amp run this set up? Would this be the best Wet Sounds set up or is the 3 some a better option?
Old     (pf728)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
You will need atleast 100w to each speaker.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-05-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
The Kicker 250.2 will net you about 65W per speaker.

You need at least 150w RMS (or a little more), IMHO. Look for a 4 chnl with 150W RMS x 4 @ 4ohm or a 2chnl with 300w RMS x 2 @ 2ohm. Just my $.02

Double Up or 3-Some = listening pref.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Alpine PDX 150.4
JBL PX 300.4
JBL PX 600.2

These are all good amps that can be had on Ebay for between $250 and $300 and run clean, cool and are typically under rated. The JBL's are a bit cleaner but the 600.2 would have to run at 2 ohms. I second TM go for a 4 channel at 4 ohms and keep it clean and strong.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-05-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
It seems like the majority of people purchasing WetSounds are all underpowered?? This is a common trend? I don't understand how you can spend 1k in speakers and expect a 100 dollar amp do power them?

I run a Zapco 750.2 to 4 6x9s!
Old     (gangster_wake)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I'm also thinking of getting a set of m80's. I already have a jl audio 300/4. will this do the job..sorry for the hi-jack heath
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
How do most run the Wet Sounds. As a full range speaker or using an amps crossover and only sending mids and highs?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-05-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
BIll I run a set of 80's off the Slash 300/4 bridged to deliver 150rms to each pod and yes they scream.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-05-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you want to stick with a Kicker amp you should be using a zx 650.4 or perhaps the 850.4

I am running a 650.4 to my two pro 485s and should have the install finished this weekend.

Do go short on power to these speakers.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-05-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Heath yes you need to use the amps crossover or a HU with independent crossovers to cut the low end frequencies to the speakers. I cant remember what I cut mine off at but they are just receiving mid and highs.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
I don't know that there really is a "better" setup with the wetsounds, all of their line seems to be very flexible so that you can add the components that work for your boat and situation. As for the amp you've got now it def won't push the setup but it may work for now you just won't get anything near what the speakers are capable of. The double up setup will def sound better with that amp than the 3 some since the center 485 alone will take more than that amp will put out, one advantage of the DU is that it doesn't intrude on the interior as much as the 3 some but for that you give up bottom end and overall spl, there's no way 4 8's and three horns can be compared (fairly) to 2 8's, 2 6's, and 2 horns, it's all a trade off.

As for me I just ordered a GT28 to power my setup, how do you think it'll do?

It will be running 2 Pro80's and 2 MB8's. Intention is to run them 2ohm stereo with a high pass set to around 80-100kHz to keep the bottom bottom out of them.

I thought about the alpine 4.150 and the RF T600.2 but just decided I'd rather go for something that's most likely got to be turned down rather than push the limit's of the other amps and really be able to push the speakers after all that's why I got high performance speakers. If I wanted to put 50watt's to something I'd have gone with 6x9 kraco's and saved a bunch of money.

Did I go overboard? Also is it possible to get a mono signal to the setup without loosing anything (other than stereo separation)?
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
what about a hifonics ZXI6006?
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-05-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
I can tell you that you would be extremely happy with a soundstream tarantula series 960.4. I had it in my last Xstar and will be putting it in my new one. Very loud, very clear and does not get hot in the least.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Alpine PDX 150x4 will work for the double up plenty of power. I am using it to power my 4 pro 80's. This amp uses little power and does not get hot
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Mike B, super nice amp but an odd choice for the set up your running. I would have gone with a 4 channel amp and ran the front in HP to Pro80's and the rear in LP with the crossover turned up to a higher HZ level and the x over to 24 db to limit bass. Then used the bass control on the rear to set the bass to your liking. It looks like you should be getting about 175 watt's to each speaker at 2 ohms so you'll be giving up efficiency and accuracy some but hell SPL should piss off a few people. Nice set up.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-05-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Hate N Pain, Mike is correct on how to do it. The MB-8 is a mid bass speaker, not a subwoofer. So you do not want to run it on the low pass. You want to run it on HP like a PRO 80. The difference is the driver is a mid bass only and tuned different. It is designed to naturally roll off on the high end where the horns pick up.

The MB-8 is a solution speaker. We like to provide solutions for all types of applications and for all types of listening styles.

So for those that prefer more punch and less highs, or maybe for someone that surfs more and doesn't need so much volume at 80 feet. Or someone who wants a party cove system etc....

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
Tim, thanks for the reassurance, I've been debating the amp choice for a couple weeks now. Hopefully it'll be a nice pairing.

Hate N Pain, I looked at 4 channels but none of the ones I could find made enough power... (at least at a reasonable price point) as for the 175watt's that's rated at 12.6 volts not the standard ~14 volts, from the research I've done it appears that at running voltage I'll actually be closer to 225 to each. All of that is subjective anyway and at this point I only use amp ratings as a reference since they all seem to be rated differently. I almost went with the alpine unit but past experience with alpine (V12) left me unimpressed with actual output and that pushed me to the Boston.

All, Any way to get that mono signal to the speakers?
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
To be back on track a little bit the Alpine 4.150 looks like it would probably do fine on the double up. The difference in that and my setup being the set of 60's shouldn't take quite as much power as the Pro80's and besides I just want to really be able to drive mine :-)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Tim, I just figured you could keep some of the highs outta the mid bass driver but you certainly know better than I. Do the mid bass drivers really do much 65+ feet back? To me it seem's like (could be wrong) they would be more for some one trying to as you said wakesurf or entertain a cove.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Hate B Pain,

You want the mid bass to roll off naturally. Since this is an add on speaker, I designed it to roll off on the highs already. So the internal crossover is already designed this way. So all you really want to do it take the sub bass out at about 80 hz below. Since it is a mid bass and plays to the upper mid range. It will add some volume at 80 feet back. But you are 100% correct that it is designed for guys who are more interested in wakesurf or party cove.

We surf more than we wake board now. I have some buddies that all they do is surf. The first time they were behind my friends Malibu with 4 PRO 80's. We had it way down when they were first in the boat and waited till they were back there surfing. Then romped on it. It scared the s@%t out of them. So much that one dude fell back off his board.

So they were all joking and saying that man this boat is actually almost too loud if there is such a thing and asking me about ways to do a system for them that was more for right there. So it got me thinking and designed the MB-8.

It is kinda hard as others have looked at it and said oh, you have to add a mid bass. But that is not true. The PRO 60 and PRO 80 are tuned at 80 feet back. The MB-8 is built for a purpose. An application.

We realize that everyone has their different ideas of what they want sound wise. Looks wise. They have different towers etc...We want to be a solution. That is why we have different sizes as the PRO 60 and PRO 80. Larger with different shape liek the 485. And add on like the MB-8. Allowing you to mix and match all the speakers and build a system around your taste.

Hope that explains it for everyone a bit more.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-07-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   

Right on, Tim!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Cool Tim thanks for the explanation. You have a great company and I really like that you are still one of us here on the boards. When I do pull the trigger on a pro audio set up it will be wetsounds mostly because of your customer service.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Thanks! As the hair club guys says, "I am not only the president, I am also a client" I love the sport and audio so I enjoy being apart of ww and also making sure they everyone gets the most out of their systems.

Tim
Wet Sounds