Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
I know that tubing is frowned upon for the most part on this site, so I hesitate to even ask this question, but I am trying to be respectful to the rest of the boarders on the lake i frequent.

This past weekend I went up with some family/friends who love to tube. My concern is that I don't want to absolutely destroy the water for anyone who is riding. I made sure not to chop up the morning water, as I would not go out before noon, preferably with the water a bit choppy so there would be less people out there boarding. I went riding in the mornings when the water was fine. I made sure to steer clear of anyone pulling, I didn't tow them in anyone's line for sure. I did everything possible to steer clear of other boats. That being said, in a situation such as this, how should I pull tubers to minimize the affect on the water?

Side note, I was idling at our dock, waiting to take out the tubers and two boats drove by pulling wake boarders, a yellow mobius and a white supreme, each of them dropped their riders and proceeded to power turn back to retrieve their riders. After watching them do this, should I even have cared that I was going out to pull tubes since they were already doing a number on their own water?
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-16-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
the rule should be is that after 11:00 its fair game. if you tube before 11:00 you should be fined. i know good wake borders wake up early.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
well you could pull the tubers in a straight line but that would be no fun at all. I don't think there is any way to pull a tube that is lake friendly, as mentioned doing it while the lake is already busy is about as respectful as you can be
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
I say noon, split the day in half. Only when you have wakeboarded in rough water, you will realize how bad it sucks. I know my cuzins, all they do is tube and ski, but in the morning they only ski. But where I go, we might hav 3 wakeboarders there the whole weekend. And the other ones come at like 3 in the afternoon. so they are SOL.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
If you can try to find a cove, or stick close to a shoreline away from the boarders. The idea is that any natural barrier will reduce rollers. On my lake I want them to be on the other side of where I'm boarding or at the least way out in the middle because I'm riding a shore route as it's the calmest water.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
I occasionally take newbies or friends with kids on the tube, only after everyone has had at least 1, probably 2 sets of boarding. By then everyone is hungry, so we eat and hang, then we pull the tube out.
I just try to stay away if there is boarders or skiers. Bumpy water, which means open (less protected) is ok for a tube, some bumps make it more exciting.
Old    mendo247            07-16-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Like a few have said.. If they are powerturning they are destroying the water as bad as a tuber! Im constantly amazed how many people still power turn..
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
Dang richard, Im constantly amazed at how slammed your boat is in your profile pic!!!

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on July 16, 2007)
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-16-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
I am with most above. You should know when the water gets bad because of traffic or wind and wait until that point to tube. For us that is about 11 the water it total crap on the weekends. As for power turns there is a time and a place for them. Open water very light boat traffic should never happen. Heavy boat traffic confined space then you may need to them to ensure the safety of your rider. We boat on a narrow section of the river and traffic can go from none to a bunch if a matter of minutes and a power turn is more for safety, but if it is wide open preserve the good water.
Old    mendo247            07-16-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
lol thanks tyler! if your ever around hit me up!
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
First of all, I have never thought about power turns ruining the water until I read about it on this sight. I appreciate the info.

As for tubing, my opinion is never with a few boats on good water, and if the water is semi-decent stay away from the edges where mountains are blocking the wind. I can't stand when a boat pulling a tube is sitting in the middle of the only decent spot on the lake taking the only water worth boarding on. I guess I should give them a break, since maybe they haven't though about it either, but I guess ignorance is stupidity for everybody but yourself.

On a separate, but related matter, waverunners and Jet-skies shouldn't be allowed on the lake until after 11 or 12, and should be off by 6 or 7. . .
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 2:03 AM Reply   
I would say you should not tube EVER. LOL j/k I find about noon to 3pm is good tubing time the water is normally thrashed by then. I would prefer the tubers to stay with the jet skiers. AS long as you are respectful and wait untill I pass you then you make a turn that is fine, just dont throw huge rollers my way with your wake that will just piss me off LOL. One time a tuber did that so when they were parked i splashed them just like this :
Upload Ok not such a good shot that was the first time around then i went for the splash but that is the only shot i got
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-17-2007, 2:18 AM Reply   
So you were gonna spray their boat because they tubing? I really hope you're joking.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 2:29 AM Reply   
no i wasnt gonna spray there boat because they were tubing it was because they went right in front of me and did a power turn
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
I can say this with all honesty. I could care less if there is only one boat on the water. If my son or anyone else in my boat wants to tube or surf, I'll pull them.

I am not changing what I am doing for fun on the water for someone else. I try to be respectful on the water, I do not encroach in someones line or go into a cove someone is in first. But I am not going to just sit because the water is glass and nobody else wants to wakeboard.

On the flip side of that, I do not expect someone else not to do the same. It is not my lake & it is not theirs..... Being on the lake is about having fun, regardless what is hooked to the end of the line.....
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Uh oh....here we go...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
But what about the tubers that seek out the glass? Windy day, only a small area is calm, so the tubers go there. Only thing worse is those that pull their young children down the middle of a busy, crowded lake with hott and speed boats zipping around. They always freak me out cause I'm worried if the kid falls off.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-17-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
My daughter likes to ride the tube with my wife. I have to side with EJ that I'm not going to feel too bad about pulling her when we're out whenever that may be. That being said, I'm not going to be an a-hole and chop up water someone else is trying to ski/board/fish on just for the heck of it. I'll stay as clear as I can from everyone else when tubing and try to hit water that's already choppy. But I let the rider choose what they want to ride. If it's their turn and they want the tube or the skis, that's what they get.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-17-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
What's all this talk about tubing at a certain time? As much as I love wakeboarding I'm not about to tell someone when it's okay for them to have fun.

I understand that there's better water in the mornings and evenings but who am I to say "*insert activity* can only be done in this time slot"?

Just try and share the lake, respect where the wakeboarders are riding and give them some room. If by the time your wake hits their zone it's a small ripple then who cares? I mean if you weren't tubing their wake would be hitting you as a small ripple when it got to you.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
The point is Rick was trying to make sure he wasn't bothering anyone riding,(which I applaud him for) but then noticed they were retards anyway. I don't know what lake you live on, but at mine rollers don't size down to ripples. Pretty sure everyone on here knows for the most part what they're doing, it's all the others out there that tube in dumb places. Why even take a tube on the boat? Then they don't have that as an option. Anyone that wants to tube can buy/bring their own, then I might think about it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
By A-dub (behindtheboat) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:36 am: "Why even take a tube on the boat?"

So they do have the option..... I am a father of 2 and have neices and nephews. My son brings friends out, my friends bring their kids out. Let alone the "juvenile like" friends that have attached themselves to me.... Again, I am about people having fun on my boat. I could care less about militant skiiers or wakeboarders, who feel it is the only thing you should be doing while the water is flat.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Am I to understand that your local wakeboard community bought your boat for you, and maintains the lake you ride in?

Do what you want, when you want...use common sense to determine what is courteous.

If they don't like what your doing...they can pull out the surfboard and run you off like we do!
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
I've given up. There is no courtesy or respect on the water anymore. When I see a tuber or jetski I just move to a new spot. When there are too many out to find a good spot then the riding is over.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
So am I to understand that if I am in a spot, finish my run and my son decides to ride the tube, I am not being courteous and lost respect for other riders?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Yep
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
So you have more right to that water than I do? Okay, just wanted to clear that up....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
No, this has nothing to do with water rights. Everyone has equal rights. With the fact that you know tubing tears the water up, the answer to are you "not being courteous and lost respect for other riders?" is yes.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Are you even reading what you are typing?

So if we have equal rights, I am using an area of water and continue to use that area of water for many different activities, somehow changing activities changes my level of respect and being courteous? If that is the case, then you must have more right to that water than I....????
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Let me make another notification.....tubers...usually like to follow other boats.....boats that pull other tubers, wakeboarders, and skiers. Just like PWC riders like following other boats...to catch the wake of other boats to thrill ride the peeps on the tube. I do not know how many times PWC's and Tube boats follow directly behind me...KNOCK THIS $#!* OFF. If I have a boader down or lose a tuber off my ride..now they are in the path of the PWC or other tube boat. I ran into this four times this past Sunday and it is completely frustrating. I know I don't want to be the boarder bouy in the water in front of the tuber boat with his boat nose up in the air and no line of sight. I always mind who and where other boats are in front of me. If it is a boarder....RESPECT....if it is a skier....RESPECT...the south end of our lake is consistantly calm...if boarders and skiers are down there....and I am pulling the tube....I don't go down there and cut the lake shorter and keep my tuber out in the chop. tubers don't need smooth glass. Keep them out in the rough. just my OP. and I am sure some will agree.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Nope, not more right at all. If it's glass, you being a rider means that you understand the need/ want for calm water. With that understanding, it would be polite to not tube. Personally I don't think anyone should tube. But because I don't have more rights to the water, anyone can. If we pull up to an area that because of wind is glassy, and there's people tubing, we try and find another spot. If it's the only spot, we must deal with rollers and an unattentive driver the whole time. Now if that tuber were a rider, I would hope they would realize the situation and go to the rough water. There are too many scenerios to go thru with this. Point is, no I do not feel I have more right, but I do feel that I have the respect and responsibility to other riders to give riders/skiers the good water over tubing. How is tubing glass fun anyway?
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-17-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Wakeboarders always think they "own" the lake!! They seem to think they have more rights than Skiers, Tubers, Fishermen, jet skiers or plessure boaters!! You can kiss my azz if I decide to pull my wife or daughters around on a tube.

I like wakeboarding just as much as most of you but wakeboarders certainly don't own the lake. I am as courteous as I can be if am wakeboaring, tubing, jetsking ect..ect..

Just because you or your bank owns a 50k wakeboard boat does not give you brains or any more "rights" to the lake than any one else.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-17-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
We have EQUAL rights. IF you know that tubing completely jacks the water, then by doing so, you are not thinking of other riders. It means you're not being respectful of the water by not thinking about other riders when you tube in a ridable cove/area.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-17-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
here we go.... have fun boys.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
noone on here said anything about owning the lake....its just a discussion of respect here, if there is a cove with nice water and your riding there, and some a-hole rolls up in a tube and starts doing figure 8s in the middle of it, your going to get pissed due to a lack of respect for you bc you dont need good water to tube but riding in chop sucks, we all know this, i have no problem with tubers as long as they know what they are doing on the water and have respect for other people....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have yet to have a tuber follow me.....though that is a common issue for jetskis. However, rarely with a rider attached.

I am in 100% agreement that it is dangerous and if I were pulling a tube, I would just stop and let them go by. If they continued, I would stop, chase them down and voice my concerns for the safety of my rider. Obviously, with a wakeboarder that is more difficult. Nevertheless, after the session, I would go over and discuss my concerns(assuming they were still around).

Unfortunately, most questionable behavior is not due to people meaning to be asses, but ignorance. I think a short and nicely put discussion about concerns/fears you have with the offending party, go a long way. Not only at the time, but also for the education and their future behavior. Every time powerturns are brought up on this forum, there are people who didn't know they were doing something that most would consider in bad taste.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
It doesn't matter what you are riding on behind the boat, smooth water gives a more enjoyable ride. I wakeboard, ski, surf, kneeboard and tube and prefer to do it on smooth water. People really do need a reality check here. It doesn't matter what someone pays for their boat or equipment, or how serious they take the activity of their choice, everyone has the same right to be on the lake. I'm with Dante, EJ and John, if my kid and his friends want to tube, we are gonna tube. Now with that said, if someone is wakeboarding or skiing at that time, I'll wait until they are done with their set before we make our run, but that is just common courtesy.

Jman

PS: Everyone here complains that tubing messes up the water. For who? For the wakeboarder. Now, if you pull up to a nice glassy cove and there is a fishing boat fishing along the bank, do you leave and find another cove? Or do you wear out the butter? Go ask the fisherman sometime if you are messing up "his experience" by wakeboarding on the smooth water? It's not always about you!

(Message edited by Jmanolinsky on July 17, 2007)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Sure anyone has the right to tube as long as they obey the distance laws, but courtesy requires you to treat others the way you would want to be treated. I may get a little dispaointed, but I do not get that upset if people tube in the wake friendly water because I assume most are ignorant to the smooth water needs of skiers and boarders. I really didn't get this until I boarded. But if I see a boarder or skier pull up to a smooth cove where someone is wakeboarding and whip out a tube and mess up the water when there is plenty of room in the chopped mid sections of the lake I do think what an A$$.

I pull tubes for my kids and their friends, but besides going to and from my dock, I will stay away from the wakeboarder friendly sections of the lake if I see a skier or boarder and would never mess up someones morning water with a tube.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thanks B Martin! That was the point I was trying to make early about the south end of the lake our place is on. It's a big lake...633 acres of fun. I just don't understand why other boats....usually pulling tubes and some PWC (BTW..I do pull tubes and own two PWC'S)follow directly behind my boat when I am towing a wakeboarder, skiier, or tuber. I am fearful that my people that I am towing might fall off or down and be in line with that oncoming craft. And the distance is definitely not safe. I think I will have to take EJ's advice and school the other boater in these situations. I personally took boater's saftey (mainly for insurance pricing) but man I got a lot out of it. And I would say 70% of the weekend traffic are breaking some big safety rules. Last year I had to pop out of my board and hold it over my head for a boat to see me. They were not even paying attention to my tow boat either. Hate to say it...but they were towing tubers and the driver was more interested in doing a donut to whip the tube and watching his people in tow than to the location of me and my tow vehicle. Only one thing I want to say....everyone...good luck, keep alert and eyes open and be safe. I would hate to hear of a tradgey on this site from someone being careless. Do like what EJ said,....go up to them and tell them to please pay attention and do not follow directly(key word) behind someone in tow.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
Since when do rights and ownership have anything to do with respect and courtesy? I agree 100% that everyone has a right to use the water as they wish. I really don't care if you tube, jetski, fish, wakeboard, surf, ski, etc, etc.....but I do think everyone should show a little respect to others that are also trying to enjoy the water with their activity of choice.

If a fisherman is fishing off the side of where I'm wakeboarding I'll try to extend my line so that I'm not passing him every 5 min. I've sat on the dock for 30+min looking at butter so that the local barefooters could get their runs in w/o dealing with my rollers. I always try to show respect to those around me no matter what they are doing, but I rarely ever see any respect or courtesy in return....if anything, I get disrespected b/c of my sport of choice.

My problem is not with tubers/tubing in general. It's with those boat/jetski drivers who come into the spot where I'm already riding and proceed to destroy it without any thought or care that I like/need smooth water. If you beat me to the spot...great, I'll go somewhere else to ride. But nearly every time I get on the water I'll be riding in a spot only to have some moron come in and ruin it for me. I usually end up moving to a new spot and hope they don't follow but it still aggravates me. If that makes me a militant wakeboarder then so-be-it.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Wow, I log back on and a fight has seemed to break out. After reading through all of these comments I can see that it is about staying away from skiers/boarders water while people are riding and it would be preferred if I went out when it is choppy. Thanks for the input guys.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I think common courtesy is the message here. Alot of people dont understand that you CANT wakeboard in chop but you can fish, and tube in it. Our day is done when the water is too choppy. Yes you have the same right to the water but hey be courteouse and if there is some choppy water go and tube there. Hell I tube and find it much nicer when the water is choppy, more fun :-)
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Wow, what a thread.. Do you guys think on the fisherman forums all the fisherman complain of wakeboats throwing rollers at them while they are trying to stand up in their boats and fish, and that there should be no wakeboarding at 8-10am because thats the time they fish and its really hard when a a 5000lb sacked out boat comes barreling by 10 feet from them at 22mph.. Wheres the courtesy there?

I bet the hotboat forums always talk about how they have the right to the water over wakeboats because they want to go fast and the slower traffic should stay out of the way.

Its just funny how everyone thinks they have the right of way because thats the sport that they are into. Wakeboarders hate tubers, PWC, Skiiers, barefooters, hotboats etc...

Hotboats hate wakeboarders, pwc, skiiers, tubers etc...

PWC's love wakeboarders and hotboats....

Skiiers hate wakeboarders, PWC, tubers,

Tubers are generally all the above.

I said it before.. if you feel you have more right to the water than anyone else out there doing there thing, go up and tell them.. Im sure a family pulling their 2 kids on a tube that are all smiling and laughing and yelling in fun would totally stop pulling their kids just because they want to wakeboard!

"hey dude, we want to wakeboard here, so can you guys go somewhere else"
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
sweet isaac glad you would stop tubing hahaha. I personally try to stay clear of fishermen. But once again fisherman like to fish in the cold winter months, we dont ride then. But all in all I stay away from the fishermen if i can, common courtesy
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Ryan, I do not believe that anyone is saying that it is okay to go to where someone is wakeboarding and start tubing. Just as I would not go into where someone is wakeboarding and start pulling a wakeboarder.

What I am saying, is if I am at a section of the lake and pulling people around on a wakeboard, then someone in my boat chooses to do something else, I don't give two hoots in Hell if someone is wakeboarding around me now. I found a place I wanted to ride and will continue to do that, regardless of who comes in with a boat after that....or what is at the end of my line.

It seems that every time this topic comes up, it changes from "people shouldn't be able to tube in good water" to "tubers comes in to where we are riding." I don't think that anyone feels it is courteous to bring any rider, tube or anything else, into the area that someone else is riding. But I don't think that someone who has found an area to ride and is pulling anything they want, should give way to the good water to someone who comes after them.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
I think we are stuck in the "it's all about me" generation. but hey its ok because you only get what you give, Karma will get you
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-17-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Years ago, we were boarding in a line along the damn of a small local lake. We had been there for hours, and where the only boat on the water. This fisherman comes in and plants himself right in our line. Keep in mind the lake is barely big enough for us to go around him safely, but we do so. I crash off of his bow. I make a few comments to my driver about how courtous this guy was. He leaves after a few minutes. We were like, yohoo, and keep boarding for a while. When we get back to the trailer to pull the boat out, low and behold, the valve stem is missing from the tire.
Moral of the story?

Be first back to the ramp if your going to mouth off.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-17-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
^I was pissed at the time, but now I think its pretty damn funny.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
At no point in this convo did anyone state they owned the water. That was implied by the readers who felt the need to post on what they thought other people were thinking. It is about respect, and yes I do respect fishermen and try to stay away from their peace and quiet. But a fisherman won't blow a knee because I was driving around him. I don't drive eratically turning this way and that around anyone. Tubing looks like a wasted driver, throwing rollers every which way, ruining the lake in all directions. I come on this forum because it is a wakeboarders forum. I don't care about fishermen or hottboaters, they don't care about me. Rick is a respectful and responsible rider who was looking out for fellow riders. Thank you Rick! People can and will do what they want, and it is all about education to those that don't know. There is a brand new Supra on the lake here, who will follow us around (assuming to watch us ride) while they tube. It just gets annoying. As stated, I don't feel tubes should be taken on the boat, there are a lot of other activities people can do, which aren't as dangerous even. You know what, screw it, Wakeboarders DO OWN the lake! Save the tubing for weekends, holidays and rough conditions. I'm joking. Somewhat. The demographics of this site are beginning to get scary.........
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Respectful thing to do, if you're going to tube, is give up the calm water to someone else to ride. Go to the chop. Almost seems like you think you own that spot cause you were there first. Kind of hypocritical after all your accusations towards me buddy. Give the spot up, let other riders enjoy the glass. "I don't give two hoots in Hell if someone is wakeboarding around me now. I found a place I wanted to ride and will continue to do that" That my friend is not being a respectful and responsible rider.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-17-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
With the above posts that discuss other activities cutting into a pattern. I'm in full agreement. I don't understand why people suddenly start tubing in the middle of the same line I've been running when it's a big lake. That's when courtesy is thrown out the window.

I try to stay out of someone elses pattern unless I can run it with them so that both boats are optimizing water and pattern, it takes some work and often communication but it can be done.

I've had guys on sea doo's hang around the spot where I make my turn just waiting for the rollers from my turn, again I'm cool with it because they're having a great time, I'm sending some rollers their way and they're not chasing my wake or wrecking the whole bay.

As I said above I'm not cool when I'm running my line and all of sudden joe walley shows up and wrecks my whole line. That being said if there's guys out fishing I try to modify my lines so that they're not getting slammed either.

Sure you can fish in rough water but what's more relaxing? I could say the same thing about wakeboarding "sure I can board in rough water but not well it's not much fun".
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
A-Dub...your posts get worse and worse? Tubing is now dangerous? Don't tube, wakeboard....it is safer...

Whatever..............I will assume you are so core, you're molten lava.... Demographics on this site....CLASSIC.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
So A-Dub, I get to the lake early... Get my boat out if it's slip.....find the water I want to ride... Then when someone comes in and wants to wakeboard, I need to tell my kid that he can't tube, save the water for the wakeboarders....?

I assure you that will never happen. You want the water, get there before me. That has nothing to do with respect. I don't go ride where others are riding, that is respect. If we stop and hang, having a few beers and listing to the music, I have given up my water....I will not start pulling until they leave or we go find somewhere else, that is respect. Giving up the water I got up early for, in the area I want, so you can do what you want with it....well, that is idiotic.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
EJ your point seems to be whoever is there first claims that water. Sure that is your right, but there is a section in our lake that is referred to as wakeboard alley and the turn around part of that section of the lake is right next to my dock. Because it is close, it is the most convenient place for me to pull whatever. If I am pulling kids on the tube in the alley and see a wakeboat or skiboat pull up and get their gear on, I will leave and pull the tube in the bigger sections of the lake to leave the best wakeboarding spot to wakeboard, even if I was there first. It just seems the courteous thing to do and I appreciate it when others do the same when we are boarding, which does happen.

I will also pass by some good wakeboarding spots to leave the fisherman alone, but will admit that the fisherman will see my wakes if there is no other smooth water. Naturally we will try to stay as far away as possible and be courteous to the extent possible and I think a lot of the fisherman expect to see some wakes nowadays, though I am sure they do not appreciate it. I used to fish a lot and having an occasional set of rollers come by was a relatively small annoyance as long as everyone kept their space.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Totally core dude. And were you asking if it gets worse and worse or stating? I do feel it is more dangerous overall. Most people go too fast, drive all over the place, the driver is usually not paying attention, and people can get hurt by falling at the wrong angle. (all of this can be said for wakeboarding as well, but I don't think the majority of riders do them). So yeah, don't tube, wakeboard. Or ski, or something where you drive straight. Go mess the water up for other riders, you've already shown you don't give a hoot. Sorry you aren't successful at trying to call me out, or rile me up....... the demographics are crazy, all of a sudden riders are getting out spoken by tubers, who are also considerate of fishermen and their feelings.... a comment, it was a comment. Rip this post apart as well buddy.....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
I would agree, you have that spot. It is yours. With that said, why would you accuse a rider wanting calm water as owning the lake, if you feel that first there in the morning gets claim to it. I'm all in agreement with that thought. But once you start tubing, if someone is trying to ride and thats the only calm spot, that is disrespectful, and they are probably going to be disrespectful and start riding in your area. Like I said before, there's too many scenerios for this, and too many people wanting to do exactly what they want to do.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-17-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've just got off the phone with the president and wakeboarders do own the water. So anyone else doing something besides wakeboarding should get out of the way and yield to all wakeboarders.
Old     (matt5)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Damm, I just started wakeboarding and thought this thread would be an interesting read as I'm learning the fine art of driving the boat and the etiquette that goes with it. Now I don't know what to think!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
B Martin, note….I am not saying that I am pulling tubers all day or even a significant amount of time. Hell, the tube came out for the first time since a Powell trip almost a year ago, a few weeks ago. Got red sand in my boat from it...

But I sit here and shake my head at people thinking that I should pack up and move from a place that I got up early to get to, making sure I could ride water I wanted to ride. No tubes, no jet skis and no wakeboarders, so they can get their ride on. When we stop & pull in the rope, people can do what they want……we will give way and they can have all the fun they want. I will move towards shore and watch the show. I will not impede on their water…..wakeboarder or tube. IMO, that is respect. Fact is, if they appear to be waiting for us, I will wave them in and we can split sets. Again respectful. But get up and leave…..come on…..????
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
If this has not already been said, make sure to EMPTY YOUR BALLAST! not only will it drain your gas when tubing, tubing doesnt need a big wake.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I agree with EJ's last post. Also, when I am pulling the kids on the tube, I am running about 20 MPH in a specific pattern while paying very close attention to what is going on in front of and around me. This is my 7 year old kid and friends out there. You better believe I am being very careful. I am sure not going to go out into the main channel for this activity.

(Message edited by Jmanolinsky on July 17, 2007)
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'm an equal opportunity watersports guy with allegiance to having fun. If you wake up before me and get to the glassy cove and are wakeboarding, tubing, skiing or blowing fart bubbles in the water, I don't care! Where does the courtesy come in? How do you even know someone else is going to want to be in that cove? Courtesy comes when there is someone physically there. If you are in a cove before me boarding or whatever I will find somewhere else to ride or do what my family will do that day. That is respect. If I'm up at 5:30 and on the water and the first in the cove then should I tell my kids they have to wait until 11:00 before tubing to see if any wakeboarders show up? What if they none show up? Did I just waste 5 hours being respectful of people at home? Don't get me wrong, nobody should step on anybodys toes but you've got to already be there. If we both get to the cove and you want to board and my kids want to tube then I most certainly will go somewhere else but you can't expect people to "save" the good water for anyone.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
A-Dub, I was not aware that I ever made accusations related to someone wanting calm water, owning the lake?

My stance has always been. Whoever is there first, should have the right of way(the water), until they are finished(regardless what is tied into the boat). If you don't want to wait for them to finish, better go looking for better waters. It is the rule I follow.

Fact is, we do have people come in and encroach all the time while we wakeboard. I will drop the rope, choosing not to fight it(I ride early or late, I “almost” never ride in chop). Others may ride in that slop and that is fine, I will pull them. I consider it poor taste by the other boat, but it is the way things go now it seems. When everyone is finished, I will pull off to the side and wait for them to leave or go elsewhere.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-17-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
rick ator, it AMAZES me that you talk about courtesy when you splash others that "piss you off" because if I didnt know you, and you got that close to my boat for ANY reason related to something I may have done, and maybe tried to spray me... because I tubed or powerturned or something, you'd probably get a full beer can thrown at you. Actions such as yours are irresponsible and give us a bad name, so next time you practice a little common courtesy and don't act like a d!ck
Im not going to bark up any of these trees regarding where you should and shouldn't tube... I obey smooth water when others are riding, I tube in chop and smooth. I usually get respect from people on my lake, sometimes we simply ask people if they wouldn't mind waiting or moving out of our line, usually they dont know... and its getting better, but people still think wakeboarders like choppy water and big wakes... I tell them they have thought wrong and we do like big wakes, the one coming from the boat thats pulling us...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Matt...wait until the beer cans start flying from boat to boat. That's always entertaining! Matt if you have not taken a boaters saftey course....I highly reccommend it. It makes a huge difference, lowers your insurance $$$ paid out, and the course is relatively cheap. It's all good. maybe we should wakeboard after dark when the lake clears. I still think it all comes down to what B Martin is saying: just Respect. I don't care what the sport is on the water, just give respect. But I will say, when I am pulling tubers, I show respect and stay away from wakeboarders and skiers, If they are enjoying the calm cove for boarding, good. I will rough up my tubers in the choppy main body of the lake. As for fisherman, yhea you should show respect and stay clear. They have their bad habits too. Throwing crap in the water. PWC owners don't like them when they get a lure in their intake. Sailboats have it rough, when your on an all sports lake. You just have to learn to deal with others and respect their sport. Otherwise your day will sour fast and it will come back and bite you in the butt!
Old     (matt5)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Took a class a really long time ago when I was in high school. I was really just trying to figure out how it all works when it comes to how to handle the different situations, tubers etc. I have to admit the idea of "saving" the good water sounds a little odd. If someone got there before me, I'd find somewhere else to go. Just my .02 So far as the beer cans, I'd rather not waste the beer
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
This is the funniest thread! Thank you guys for making me laugh! Flame on brothers!!!!

Seriously though, some of you guys have way to much time on your hands.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-17-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
I was having fun with this debate on basic water etiquette but now somebody's talking about wasting beer and that's just going too far! There are sober people in India and you're just going to casually toss a full beer can at somebody not even sure if they're going to catch it, Duane? Isn't there something less important than beer that you could toss? Your tower speakers, anchor, firstborn child, etc are all less important. Toss one of those instead.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
"Damm, I just started wakeboarding and thought this thread would be an interesting read as I'm learning the fine art of driving the boat and the etiquette that goes with it. Now I don't know what to think!!"

Matt, do whatever you want.. and have fun. You didnt buy a boat to make sure other people are having fun while you watch. I agree that if your in a big lake and there are riders in the coves not to interrupt, but dont feel like you you shouldnt be able to ride in there just because the water is calm. Its your tax money paying for the state parks, use it however you want.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
hahaha beer LOL dude if i can catch it im drinkin it LMFAO. But when you come directly into my line within 20-50feet of my boat you deserve the splash. I think we should all have water balloons to throw LOL I once told my friend we should all have water balloons and throw them at people that way we can all have fun and get our agressions out hahaha. Like paccino said in scarface " I've never screwed anyone who didn't have it comming to them" most of the time i shrug it off but I thought that was just wrong and they also flipped me off right as they cut me off that was the last straw. If the lake was big enough I would have just signaled my driver to move elsewhere but it was in the delta and we had been riding for a while. I dont mind sharing, just dont cut off my driver, You can even go behind me I dont care just pay attention but there was no need to cut infront of me. I often stop behind a downed rider and wait for them instead of passing and I never speed up to pass a wakeboarder I just slow down and watch them do there set, It entertains me, I love watching people board.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
"sweet isaac glad you would stop tubing hahaha."

I actually might depending on who it was that told me and what kind of attitude they brought to the table. If someone was being a rooster and arrogant, Id laugh and tell him to go fornicate himself. If it was someone that was really nice and being cool, Id prolly do it
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-17-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Richard,
WOW!!! that profile pic is almost scary. any pics of the wake??
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I also find that if someone else is there first I ask if they mind if i board, most of the time they love to watch if they say they would like to tube or board on it alone I leave it be and find another spot.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-17-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
What are you guys talking about? If the lake is ruff and there is only one good spot that already has someone boarding in it, you go in and pull figure eights until they leave. Then you have the cove all to yourself.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
not to beat the dead horse, but.......

"So you have more right to that water than I do? Okay, just wanted to clear that up"

"If that is the case, then you must have more right to that water than I....????"

Own was used by others. My bad. I'm off to go scare some tubers...........
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
Love it Paul. I'm gonna go do that. Hopefully they'll say something about me throwing rollers.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
this post is DEAD hahhaha just be respectfull and treat others and the lake the way you would like to be treated. LOL
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Wow I had no idea this post would end up like this, A-dub and EJ you guys need to calm down a bit. Let me put it this way, my main concern was being respectful to those who wanted nice water to wakeboard on. I wakeboard, personally i wake up early and get out so I know that there is good water for me to ride on. I just was trying to be nice to those who were riding. I know that most lakes are big, and that there are plenty of room for many different activities. I guess I should have asked:

Hard core wakeboarders, if I need to pull some tubers, how can I respect you guys while I pull these tubers, other than you telling me to go wait until you are done?
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Jeez. I think people have forgotten the main reason people ride, tube, ski and even just plain own a boat to begin with. FUN. Being out with your family and friends on a nice day kicking back. I dont know about all of you but I work my A** off at work. If i get a weekend off, i consider myself the luckiest sucker in the breakroom. When I get out on the boat, if its a crappy day, sure Im a little bummed but who cares? Im out there and im going to enjoy it. I live in probably one of the most over populated, idiot infested areas of the country, but i deal with it. Im sure ive done some stuff in my life to where people think i was the idiot, oh well. People need to CTFO (chill the f**K out) and remember why they own a boat in the first place. If you bought a 50K boat just to look cool and and dont have fun riding, well your the biggest sucker of all because you wasted your money. I dont know about everyone, but when i was younger my uncle owned a crappy little pontoon at berryessa and used to pull us on the tube all over that lake, and if it wasnt for that introduction to water, I probably wouldnt be wakeboarding. Be thankful you have boats, lakes, tubes, boards, skis and especially friends and family to share the time with. To others that stuff is only a dream that will never happen. We've got people overseas fighting and dying every single day for our right to live the way we do and people are on here b*tching about who screws up whos water. Pathetic.
Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ten-four to that, Doosten. I'm in total agreement.
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
Just go in a cove and wake board. Jesus Christ what is the deal here people. I ride and tube sometimes when there are friends with me that want to and the last things i really care about is what other people think about what i am doing on my boat that i paid for. Sounds like some of you cant just take what you can get. cry and complain and it will probably not get you anywhere with most boaters . I one of you came to a cove and asked me to cut back on the waves i would laugh hysterically and ask if you where serious.