Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (college)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-06-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
this is obviously a popular topic, but i need some help because i keep underrotating trying a hs backroll. I can do hs and ts 180s consistently and just w2w no problem, but when i try the backroll, i always case the 2nd wake with the front of the board. I cut slowly at first but am cutting pretty hard to try and get over the wakes. Is it possible im cutting to hard for this trick? I don't think im coming off edge too much before the wake, but im just not getting the height, slash rotation i need. I also have been trying to keep my hands in close, so im thinking it might be my cut toward the wakes. Can it be too hard? Or has anyone else had this problem?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-07-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
you need to focus on the tension on the line, and the timing it takes to transfer the energy in the line to vertical pop.

So you end up having to think of several things at once to get it done. Think of:

- your progressive edge adding tension to the line.
- bringing a little more speed than a normal wake to wake.
- the tension increasing considerably the longer you cut.
- timing it so that the tension on the line reached the max you can hold as you hit the wake.
- keep the handle low and close for efficent loading of the line
- as soon as you think you should pop off the wake...wait a second, then pop
- keeping the handle in and low as you rotate.

If you dont have ALL these things done, and timed well, you will not be able to transfer the line tension into vertical pop. So work on them individually with regular jumps untill all these fundamentals become natural habit. then you will have no problems with backrolls, or any other basic invert.

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
The bigger the wake the easier it is. What are you riding behind?
Old     (shiznizzle)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
It sounds to me like your cutting to hard. When a progressive cut is explained to most people as, your hardest edge is at the wake, it is sometimes interpreted that you must be cutting as hard as you can at the wake.

Less is more here, cut out and then drift back towards the wake, about 5 feet from the wake start to increase your edge but only moderately. Edge all the way up the wake and at the top pop the trick.

Doing it this way you will get plenty of height and consequently time to finish your rotation

Good luck with it.
Old     (college)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
thanks guys, im riding behind a pretty small wake (mastercraft ski boat with some weight in it), but it really helped to back down the intensity on the cut!