Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-21-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
I was reading some old threads, and came across one about camps. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this one day class. am looking to take my wife (beginner) and myself (somewhat intermediate) to a class up on the Delta for a day. we are interested in getting to the next level. any advice would be appreciated.
thanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-21-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
Have you tried talking to any of the good local riders. Go out with them for the day. I know alot of the better local riders here don't mind having beginners on there boat. Cheaper and you'll make some good friends
Old    schlegelrock            02-09-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
I have been out on a learn2wakeboard lesson and found it helpful and pretty fun. I am mid level rider and they helped me land a few tricks I couldn't get by myself. I would recommend them. Also, I would disagree with the previous poster, being a good rider doesn't always make a good teacher.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-09-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Scott - I disagree with your disagreement. Your statement is somewhat true to an extent, but there are tons of good riders on this forum who are great teachers and who are willing to help most fellow wakeboarders out.

Thomas - Let your wife know that the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club will be offering a Girls learn to ride day April 16 or 23rd. Check the CLWC's website www.wakeboardclub.com as the date gets closer, to find out which weekend it will be. Also in July 16th will be another learn to wakeboard day open to men and women. These events can definitely help get you to the next level, with the help of many world class wakeboarders and teachers, along with experienced boat drivers, and the proper equipment to get you there. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me and I'll do what I can to get you the information you need.
Old     (airmandy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-04-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Shawn. I have to disagree with you and agree with Scott. Not every good rider is a great teacher. My boyfriend and his friends tried to teach me this summer. They failed and wasted my summer. I took a lesson from learn 2 wakeboard and within 3 pulls I was riding the wake. Best money I ever spent. Would I take another lesson?
Hell Yeah..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-04-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
I've learned a lot more from riding with guys that are good than I did at wakeboard camp.

Sometimes is hard to take advice and critisism from your significant other.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-04-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
I appreciate everyones advice and tips. I am probably going to be doing a one day lesson somewhere with my wife, and then tagging along with some good riders as well. I have definitely known good riders who can't teach, but have heard the same about camps as well. I am pretty sure I will learn at least one new thing from whatever I do though.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-04-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
I'm gonna put a plug in for westsidewakeboard.com in Bakersfield, CA...

I hooked up with a couple of the instructors for a half-day, just to ride this winter...when it was my turn, they tossed out some suggestions for me to try, after watching me ride. I scared the crap out of myself when I flew up, off the wake, on my second pass...Thats what I wanted to do, by the way...

They had very good knowledge of the mechanics of wakeboarding, combined with the ability to make it easy for me to understand, and apply on the water for immediate results...

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-04-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
I have talked to Brandon at Westsidewakeboard as well. that is one other place that we are considering right now. we are more than likely going to pick whomever is most convenient for us at the time, since we have not heard any bad feedback from either place.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-04-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
In the spirit of helping out the local guy... If you decide this way, let me know...If the girlfriend and I are gonna be out playing, we'd be happy to give you guys a pull before, or after class.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-07-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Joe, I will definitely let you know for sure if we go that route. we are planning on camping at BV the last weekend in April as well. you guys are more than welcome to stop on by for a couple of refreshments.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-07-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
Appreciate the offer! We're only 20 minutes away, but had been talking about hauling the ol' trailer out there ourselves, so we could hang out all weekend a couple of times a month....

I tell myself I'm justifying the cost of the trailer.......
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-07-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Make the road trip to Don Pedro April 22-24 for the CIE Spring Ride. Mike McMillen from Marine Max will be there with some local pros doing demo's and clinics all weekend. Me be a good way to get some free instruction. It will also be a good way to meet a bunch of the people from this site. Check the threads in the wakeboard events section.

By the way... I've never gone to a camp, or taken a lesson, but I've considered it. Riding with an advanced rider is a good way to get motivated and to learn technique. In my opinion; you do well at a camp because you have someone pushing you. If you are motivated and push yourself you will learn a lot from riding with people that are better than you are.

On the topic of teaching your significant other.... I think I'm a pretty good teacher, but I don't even try with my fiance. All she does is get mad at me if things don't work out. That, and the fact that, having worked myself as many times as I have I really don't want to push her into getting hurt if she isn't that motivated. Being a good rider is all about what motivates you.

Just my opnion
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       03-08-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
Have her try a OP Girls Learn to Ride day. I did that last year, it was very helpful and my friend got up on her first attempt. They have 1 day clinics all over, go to their website and look for one close to you... i think it was about $60.
Old     (airmandy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-09-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
J-Rod

What Kind of Statement is that? "Sometimes is hard to take advice and critisism from your significant other." Your a dick Head. Thing about what you write. Maybe you should of taken a lesson in "Tact". Get out of the Trailer Park.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-09-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Mandy, J-rod had a valid point, even if not worded to your liking...It's easier to have conflicts with your friends over unsuccessful teaching, than from an instructor who is used to dealing with different learning abilities on a regular basis. Students also are less hostile, because it is assumed instructors know what they are doing....

You should re read -your- post....I wonder if J-rod ever accused his friends of wasting his summer, and failing at their gracious attempts to help him learn....

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-09-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Mandy ~ Easy there tiger. You're the one who is being a dick head and needs to read what people are writing. It's obvious that you have problems at home and need to vent, but on J-rod... COME ON NOW. He has to be one of the coolest people I've meet on WW and just this last weekend I stayed at his house, that's right a house with a beautiful wife and dog. Which is far from the trailer your used too.

A word of advice... you might what to pick your battles with someone else. J-rod gives allot back to the sport, shares his stoke with everyone, and is such a cool guy.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Mandy, I agree with Joe, your statement was the one that was pretty harsh. When learning, its cool to learn with friends, but sometimes you need an impartial teacher who HAS seen a lot of different styles, and has a few different ways of teaching, not just one. Somethings I wouldn't learn from my significant other or friends. Wakeboarding to me is ok, but if I had the chance to get lessons from someone who teaches it, I would. It would probably be faster than the trial and error of me and my friends working on it. I would think the teacher would know what he is looking for faster, and its more intensive. You don't know J-Rod, and don't have any place to judge him.

Thomas, Let us know how it goes man. Good luck.

(Message edited by ivyrider on March 09, 2005)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
I just wanted some advice on how to improve my wife's and my skills.
this was MUCH more than I could have asked for. thanks for the entertainment!
but seriously, I do appreciate all the advice, and I look forward to seeing some of you out on the water this year.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Thomas, I have heard good things about Launch Wakeboarding School too, up here in Folsom. They have half days available, and seem pretty reasonable. I know a few people that have gone through them and have been happy. I think the site is www.launchwakeboarding.com. Good luck. I think its awesome that you and your wife are doing it together.
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-09-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
I guess it's my time to chime in, since it's our wakeboard company your talking about www.learn2wakeboard.com. First, For Mandy, We hear her story at least 100 times a summer. She has a right to be angry. When you think about the time wasted to learn from others and get no results, well that could be called a lesson learned, but to actually wasted time you'll never get back. Well That Sucks.

It's true that there are alot of Good Wakeboarder Up here in North Cal. It's true that every one has a special trick to get you up the first time. But Getting someone up for the first time takes 2 Things-A Good Boat Driver and A Patient Instructor. Not everyone has this situation. Especially when the drinks are flowing and the music is blaring. Oh and the famous line from everyone in the boat. "You almost got it, Do This"

Wakeboarding is seasonal, we all know that. So, Why waste time..Get a Lesson..At 3 bucks a gallon learning from everyone on the boat, could get costly.

Last but not least..Lets have a discussion about wakeboarding, Not Shameless Plugging other Companies.

Please Let this be the end of the Discussion. Or Call me at 888.999.9253 if you want to talk more about us.

Ric Morgan
Old    clubjoeskier            03-09-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   

No shameless plug there.........
Old    tiffany            03-10-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
I know the discussion is over, but I just saw my favorite wakeboard school in the subject line: Learn2wakeboard.
Don't know how this subject turned into such a heated discussion...

Anyway, I went out with them several times last summer and it was great. I really liked the atmosphere and teaching style. It's great that they also have female instructors on the boat. Made me feel very comfortable.
They're also using the latest / sometimes brand new equipment! Very patient crew - Strongly recommend!

Just wanted to put my 50 cents in