Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    sharonpeters            10-01-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
Just bought a unbelievably clean 97 centurion elite bowrider. It drives great, but when we add weight we have problems with the transmission slipping. We have experimented with the weight and discovered that even with one launch pad in the back that it still does it. It only does it when we are turning, and we arent turning tight. What could be the problem? Transmission need rebuilt? The previous owner was a tuber, so I know it hasnt been overloaded with ballast.
Old    oshensurfer            10-01-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
Can you describe why you think the Tranny is slipping? Could be that when you are turning you're just getting some prop wash that causes turbulence around the prop and it may feel like the tranny is slipping when it really isn't. Alot of weight in the back and not enough up front makes it happen. I've felt this a couple times in my 2002 Hurricane when I turned too hard. Haven't felt it since I started weighting my boat more evenly. My suggestion to you is don't power turn when you have weight in the bota unless there's a rider still riding behind the boat and if you need to turn then don't turn as sharp. I know this may be a little difficult in a d-drive cause they like to "spin".... but I bet this will fix what you think is a slip.

My bet is that if it's not slipping (RPM's going up and boat not moving) while you're pulling out of the hole than it isn't your tranny.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-01-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
Sharon, my g/f had the exact same boat when I met her. I made her sell it! It cavitated like mad. The trans is fine, it is a design flaw in the boat hull. You can not add enough weight to the boat to get a decent wake without it either taking on water over the bow or the wake crumbles. We tried weighting it many different ways with no happy ending.

Sorry for the negativity, but that is our experience with the exact same boat.
Old    sharonpeters            10-02-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Peter- do you remember what prop your girlfriend had on that boat?

Old     (socalrider)      Join Date: May 2002       10-02-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Begin by checking the trans. fluid. I have had that problem on a older centurion (1988) and it was simply low fluid.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-02-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I doubt that it is the tranny. The problem that you describe sounds like cavitation not trany slippage
If you can find a prop shop that will let you demo a prop I would go that way.
The Acme 3 blade would be the prop of choice.
IMHO http://www.acmemarine.com/html/ski.html

I would also follow Scotts advice

(Message edited by krbaugh on October 02, 2004)
Old    oshensurfer            10-02-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
Peter,
Is your statement on not adding weight and a crappy wake specific to the elite bow rider?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-02-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Sharon, it was a stainless three blade but I do not remember what brand, and she is in Italy, so I can not ask her.

Scott, I really only have experience with that model of Centurian. I was in another one, that my buddy used to own, and in rough water watched the dash flex so much he had to open the windshield. He only owned his for a year before trading it in on a different brand.

"Is your statement on not adding weight" Me not add weight??? You don't know me then! LOL I have at least 5 sacs in the garage and a phat seat. The boat needs a lot of weight in the bow, but then it takes on water, no matter how good of a driver you are. Too much weight in the stern and it crumbles and cavitates. I could not find a usable balance, and gave up and went to ride behind a VLX.

Oh well, at least I get to ride tomorrow
Old    sharonpeters            10-03-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Tranny fluid is fine
Peter- I bet the same prop is on my boat its a 13x13 LH Stainless. I wonder if a 4 blade would be better?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Sharon

I have had multiple Centurions with 3 blade CVP stainless and 4 blade OJ and the 3 blade ACME
By far the best prop is the 3 blade ACME!
it is much quieter than the 3 blade stainless and holds speed better. It has better top end and hole shot than the 4 blade OJ.

IMHO
Old    sharonpeters            10-03-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
Kevin have you ever had the cavitation problem on one of your centurions?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
can't say I ever have but I never had one loaded
like you do. The only option you have is to try a new prop and trying to better balance the boat with weight. The problem is oneof the following the hull which i doubt, the prop, or to much weight in the back.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-03-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
They cavitate with the (Cutter I believe) prop loaded or empty. I strongly believe it is a design flaw. My Nautique NEVER and I mean NEVER cavitated, no matter how hard I pushed it, even with a three blade, loaded to the gills or empty, full speed/throttle and steering cranked.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. These are my behind the wheel observations.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
Don't feel bad about having an opinion.
However a prop can cause all kinds of problems cavitation, vibration, noise, to slow out of the hole, no top end. I must say I have never driven that vintage of Centurion but I would be very surprised if it cavitated like you are describing. My first Centurion had a 3 blade stainless prop that was VERY noisy I was stunned when I put a 4 blade OJ on it the difference in just the sound. I was very happy with the 4 Blade OJ until I tried the 3 blade ACME. GREAT prop!
Old    sharonpeters            10-04-2004, 8:40 PM Reply   
The funny thing is it doesnt cavitate at all with a normal load which for us is about 5-6 people. We put a 580# sac in the back and a 440# in the walkway in front, and we have 2 lead bricks about 100#. I am going to try some different props to see if that corrects the problem, but at this point wake surfing is out of the question because if I weight one side of the boat it cavitates the same way. I have a real hard time believing this is a hull flaw, because it is really not a different design. I have owned smaller ski boats that we put more weight in and did not behave this way. Peter- can you describe any other problems you may be aware of on this subject with this particular boat? I'm trying to make this work at least for the next couple years. Thank you.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-04-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
Sharon, Kevin had some great advice with swapping out the prop...ACME here you come. I am sure by calling the manufacturer they can tell you which prop will be the best for your boat. The interior needs to be protected diligently. If a tear starts, no matter what boat, a little bit of super glue on the tip of a needle will stop the hole from growing. The motors and running gear should be sound and just require service. Helps if they put all the bolts in the driveshaft. Yup, they did that on my gals brand new boat, only one bolt holding the driveshaft on.

Let us know how it turns out after swapping out the prop.
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       10-21-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Sharon, I just noticed this thread after returning from a trip. I loved my centurion after getting through some initial problems...that is until I started wakeboarding. I spent so much time messing around with weight trying to get it big and clean and keep it from cavitating. I did a bunch of research trying to figure out if a prop change would help and came to the conclusion that it has more to do with the shape of the hull. I don't think it's a design flaw because this is an awesome boat for slalom sking. I just don't think the elite bowrider has the hull to turn if from a great slalom wake into a wakeboarding wake. On the other hand, I spent lots of hours behind that boat as did people who are much better wakeboarders than I am and we all still had fun.

(Message edited by susieq on October 21, 2004)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Did you try any other props?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-22-2004, 4:19 AM Reply   
3-blade Acme, $310 to your door. rider@boarditup.com
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
No, I didn't, but someone I know with the same boat had tried two different props and although they changed the wake slightly, it made more of a change to the hole shot and top end speed....never made enough of a difference to make it worth it. I can try to find out what the pitch on the other props were.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Wake? I thought we where talking about cavitation?
A prop would make minor if any changes to the wake. Now cavitation a prop can have a lot to do with that. Pitch of the prop is not the issue it is the design of the prop. I am not saying that a prop will fix the problem just that a prop could fix the problem. If it where my boat I would have a 3 blade ACME in hand in a flash to try.

(Message edited by krbaugh on October 22, 2004)
Old    markb            10-26-2004, 5:36 AM Reply   
Kevin - Isn't that the same hull as mine? If so, I load mine to the gills. We've got the trunk sack 500 or so, a 600 lb floor sack, 100 lbs of lead beside the gas tank, another 100 lbs of lead in the middle of the bilge, and roughly 300 lbs up front. The only time mine cavitates is in sharp turns. With all the water shifting it is bound to put the boat into a list so to me it isn't a concern. Just don't make sharp turns when you've got it weighted down so much. With little or no ballast weight I don't think it has ever cavitated on me. What prop did my tornado come with? If she's got the same hull as mine, id give the prop that mine has on it a try too.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
Good point Mark your boat is an updated version of that boat. Yours is wider and longer. I can't remember what prop your boat had on it I think a 4 blade OJ which is also a excellent prop!