Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/07/0...ex.html?hpt=T2

If a country proudly murders a person in a heiness nature that rivals Vlad the Impaler and the world does nothing, I think this opens the gates for murder and human rights abuse across the globe. Most countries have the civility to hide their abuse, but apparently not Iran.
Old    deltahoosier            07-07-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Yep. So much for moral relativism.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
The whole country is a disgrace. Ahmadinejad should be up on charges of inciting genocide anyway, for continually calling for the destruction of Israel. I wish they would make a move against Israel. They'll get blown back to the middle ages, where they appear to live anyway.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
watch the stoning of soraya M. It definitely hits home and brings light to how stupid and common these types of incidents are
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Iran's government is run by disgusting barbarians.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
"They'll get blown back to the middle ages, where they appear to live anyway."

Bahahaha!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-07-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
Fear any place where the "religion of the sword" is intertwined within the government.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
You can't apply western culture and values in the Middle East - yes very much cruel and unusual punishment and the death penalty does not fit the crime, but most of the Middle Eastern countries believe in an "Eye for an Eye" - Shoplift lose a hand; kill someone - public execution. While I was deployed during 1990; Saudi Arabia publicly executed (beheaded) one of it's citizen as the punishment for murder in the town next my logistics base.

Be thankful we live in a free society which has been guaranteed becuase of the sacrifices of the men and women of our Armed Forces (past and present)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Good one Jim. I guess that's sort of like Catholic priests having a different culture regarding childred and sex.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
Nah, I think the Chatholic priests are supposed to fall under the same set of values we all have - in that case send them to prison and let the hard core inmates take care of 'em.

I don't agree with what they do, just am not surprised by their actions when it comes down to culture and the law. Think about the Taliban in Afghanistan - they are happy to keeping the country in the 18th century. The west has a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn;t want electricity and running water but they were content without it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
So the Iranians want nuclear "power" and for us to respect their culture of torturous murder?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
"You can't apply western culture and values in the Middle East"

So what about Israel? .Do you see Israel treating her people like this? These people are savages

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...men-death.html
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
They are only so brazen because they know we don't know how to end a war. You invade, capture the leaders and put them up for trial, give the weapons to the opposition, then leave. No aid, no rebuilding. Just a promise to rinse and repeat if they can't get their act togeather. We could of been in and out of Afghanistan years ago. Even Iraq if we did it when Saddam was gassing the Kurds.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
These people are a half evolutionary step above cave-men.

Their society is barbaric at best.

You are dealing with a bunch of able bodied retards that couldnt find their ticket when the evolutionary train came by.

Like any lame animal, they should be euthanized.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
John, some Republican has hacked your account!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
No Trace. Just too much over generalization about liberal vs conservative. Most of my political views are based on how I interpret the complex fundamentals of the economy. My interpretation makes me appear more liberal than I am about many other issues.
Old     (tbonez3858)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-12-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
The world is a fickle place...

Everyone says Israel has the right to defend itself but when they do, they are evil

Everyone complains about Iran but no one wants them to be bombed

Everyone hates the evil US until a natural disaster and then everyone is p***ed because the US isnt on their door step giving out aid within 10 minutes..

I stopped trying to figure out the world because I just doesnt make sense...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
I was j/k. It's obvious from most of your posts that you do actually think for yourself. Too bad the same cannot be said of the majority of Americans.

On that note, I find modern Iran very interesting. I know a couple expats, and have read a couple books on it. What the government says and does has little to do with what the citizens think or want. (I'm sure the US looks that way to a lot of other cultures, too.) Much of the political maneuvers are based on the desire for attention, respect, and a "place on the world scene".

I suggest everyone read "The Ayatollah Begs to Differ" by Hooman Majd. Very interesting read.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
The company I work at for about a decade now, is owned by two brothers who were born in Iran. The older brother went to school out of the country and never moved back after the Shah was deposed. They don't like the govt there at all as Iran had a modern western culture integrated with a traditional culture before the religious freaks took over.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
There are two Irans - the wealthier, more educated, modern-leaning class, and the poorer, undereducated, medieval-thinking class. Unfortunately there are far more of the latter, and they took over the government in 1979.

However, the Shah was no angel himself, either.