Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-17-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
I've got a 2003 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab. It's got a six-inch lift in front and a four-inch lift in the rear (blocks). I do not like how the rear sits lower than the front and I want to level it. At the same time, I'm told that I should get air bags to keep the rear from sagging when I tow.

I don't know much about this lift stuff, so I have a few questions. Do airbags actually lift a truck or are they something separate that would be added to a lift for leveling purposes? Any recommendations for getting my truck level and curing the sagging issue when I'm towing? It actually just might look like it's sagging when I'm towing because of the unlevel lift. I would think that since it's a 1-ton, there shouldn't be much sagging when I hook up just a boat.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-17-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
Dave, I'm no expert and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in but...there are air ride suspension systems and there are helper air bags. I think you are looking for the helper bags.

These mount between the axle and frame and will take care of the rear end sag. I believe it is similar to adding a leaf to the rear springs, but with the ability to dump the air. I know Schwab sells and installs them, but they are pretty easy to do yourself. Some systems have compressors and tank, some you can get where you just add air where ever you can get it (home, gas station).

Hope this helps.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-19-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
I had the same problem on mine, it's an f150, but it's the same concept. I needed only another inch in the back to make it level. You can either get a bigger lift block or get a spacer. Although airbags will lift it level, you don't want to level you truck with air bags, it makes for a harsh ride.
I believe they also offer helper spring which slightly lift the back also.

I installed an inch spacer to make mine level and then put airbags to keep it level when I tow.

hope this help a little
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Dave, I have the airbags that you're talking about. I installed them to prevent sagging when I tow. I have the full Firestone system with bags,and the digital controller in the glove box.

They do act as a very mild lift, but you're only going to get about an inch out of it. In the event that your truck is squatting from a heavy load, they will lift it back up to stock height, but otherwise, you're not going to get much out of them as far as increased ride height.

Also, if you do use the bags as a lift for the rear, you're going to end up with a very stiff ride.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-19-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
Shouldn't the fact that my truck is a one-ton prevent it from sagging? Seems strange that a tongue weight as light as a boat would cause that. I'm wondering if it just looks like it's sagging because of the unlevel lift. Maybe I'll add two inches of blocks to the back and go from there. Is six inches of blocks ok for a lift? Seems kind of rinky!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Go all out and get the Kelderman
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-20-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Dave, I would say yes. The only 1 ton I owned was the one that you sold me. It was lifted as you know, and it never sagged with a boat. The one time it squatted was with 3000 pounds of hardwood floor in the back. A boat shouldn't touch that thing.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
My brother has a F250 with a 6" lift as well. The back end on his sagged as well. I believe it's also because most lift kits lift the front more then the rear. He had it in the shop this year and had the leafs replaced along with an air bag kit for when he is towing. Apparently it does still sag a bit without air.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-20-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Kelerman? Are you going to make me use Google?
Old    alanp            12-20-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
i have a helper bag system too. works great. i have a low rider and would never be able to tow without these things. they are rock solid and ive never had a problem. i think i paid about 500 for the system and installation.

www.airlift.com