Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    crdavis            08-31-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Hey - check out the new addition to
Shapiro's tower on http://www.airsling.com/darin-shapiro.htm. I just rode it - it ROCKS!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-31-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-31-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Not quite sure about that one. One thing I did notice though that I never have before. Did you see how fast they were puling him? Maybe it was just the camera angle, but it looked like they were hauling a$$.

What speed is he riding at?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
He goes that big without that stupid device.

The switch Vuclan and switch S-bend were sssick!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
isn't that the same thing sky skiers are using?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-31-2005, 11:36 PM Reply   
wow, 3000 dollars. that is a lot of money for something that isn't exactly necessary for one to go big.
Old    penny4urthots            09-01-2005, 12:11 AM Reply   
It's a kookville add-on for Kapt. Powerturn and his blinged out "rack" on the siiiicked out X-30 he just picked up.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
that's a big waste of money, i'm not sure if i would call that innovative or not.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-01-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
That was a sweet video of Shapiro going huge though...

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
"I think the AirSling will make a lot of the more technical Raley-style tricks more possible - like double-S bends, S-bends to blind..."

Double-S to blind being done on the cable already. S-bend to blind and Double-S is common. All off the water with no wake.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-01-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Wakeboard un-friendly Canyon Lake hydrofoilers looking to cash in on wakeboarding...
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thats kind of what the cable is....no wake
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
That's really lame. I like Darin's response at the end of the video.....

(gayguy) "What do you think?"
(Darin) "Uhhhh, you saw didn't you."
(gayguy) "Did it make it easier?"
(Darin) "Uhhhh, uhhhh, yeah, uhhhh landing in the flats and blind was easier."

Ha, ha. He goes just as big without that stupidass contraption.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Wonder how much they paid him for that little segment????
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
"It's a kookville add-on for Kapt. Powerturn and his blinged out "rack" on the siiiicked out X-30 he just picked up."

exactly
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
oh and no one has mentioned this pathetic advertisement attempt. One post and she tells us this thing "rocks". If you want to advertise then pay for it like everyone else.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
"Thats kind of what the cable is....no wake"
As opposed to off a ramp (not wake, opps)

I wonder if it would work with this...

Old    ridethespot            09-02-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
Hey guys im not a big poster but i figured i would share my experiences using the AIRSLING!!! It is a great COACHING TOOL for me to use, to teach people who want to learn raley based moves the easy way. If you just ask riders like Cathy Williams and other students of mine who learned Raleys in one or two sets without hard falls, they will tell you it works!
Using the airsling at my camp is helping riders learn certain tricks that they would usually be afraid of. The airsling slows things down a bit for them. Is that so bad?
Also, a few of the pros think it feels a bit like riding on the cable
but you have a wake!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
I wanna ride it.... learn a raley.... camp is too expensive.... so sad.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-02-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
interesting, an actual post from Darin Shapiro
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
Darin, appreciate your input. I'm sure you can appreciate this, the guy who made and is selling this contraption is not a friend to wakeboarders on the lake where he frequents. When he picks up his downed foiler, he power turns. He constantly ignores rules of etiquite for the area. He has run over many of our ropes, almost run over a few of our friends that were swimming near their boats. He does not respect us.

Maybe if we start seeing a change in attitude on the backwater, I would give it a shot, but until that happens, I don't think so...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 02, 2005)
Old    ridethespot            09-02-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Porkchops, mike murphy introduced me to the airsling, as far as i know hes a great guy. Sorry to hear about bad attitudes on the water.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
Mike = good guy. John Clemmons - not so much...
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-02-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Porkchops ~ sent you a PM
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-02-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Cant we all just get along?
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-02-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Porkchops- I want one of those contraptions. If it helps with Raleys, it worth considering, no matter who sells it. Especially if it helps with the bigger raley tricks.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-02-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
But what makes the cost in excess of $3k? Cant cost that much to make it!! I could see $300-400 maybe.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
Exactly, Paul. Tom - yeah, I can see that argument, but I'm not convinced that it is worth it, worth giving 3k to someone who has caused so many headaches on our local waters.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Bug - you got mail!
Old    tige_kid            09-02-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
In the video did anyone else notice he was riding a liquid force?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-02-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
he does ride for LF
Old    tige_kid            09-02-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
Crap my bad the whole time i was watching the movie I was think of murray.My bad, my bad!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
An example of what I mean:

Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion board user: John_dale

-----------------------------------------------------------

WHY DON'T YOU SAY ALL THESE LIES TO MY FACE.i'll talk to you face to face any time j.c

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to view this user's profile, use the following link:

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=john_dale-users

You want me to help you out on WakeWorld? Gimme somthing to work with...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 02, 2005)
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-02-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
Wow! If that really is John Clemmons who sent that then I'll never buy one of his products. That's so uncalled for.

John, why not just say pm something like,"Hey man, sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way, I can tell you're mad. Let me buy you a beer sometime and we'll talk."

That would be the type of person I'd want to buy something from.
Old    john_dale            09-02-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
Look guys, I'm not big on message boards or private messages...I never come off right.

Porkchop, what I meant by my PRIVATE message to you is that I do not appreciate you making accusations about me regarding the backwater when you have never said anything to my face while back there and I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't me doing those things but I'm not the type to point fingers and name names, even though I could.

I have spent countless hours, even having meetings at my house, to try to mend the rifts between the clubs on the lake so I'm just going to chalk this up to a mis-communication.

I invite you, and anyone, out to at least come try the Airsling some time if you feel like it and then formulate your opinions based on fact, not on assumptions or bad feelings in the backwater...which has nothing to do with the Airsling.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
John, you damn near ran over my wife & daughter while they were swimming next to my boat in the no fly zone. We said something to you then & you blew it off. You know better than to powerturn out there, but you still do it.

Let me ask you this, why are you not a member of the CLWC? Why have we not seen this device at any of our tournaments? I could go on, but I'll get to the point, you really don't seem too interested in wakeboarding, especially on the backwater. It only looks like you are trying to cash in on wakeboarding. I would love to be proven wrong, hope you can use this information to improve your relations with others in the backwater area.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-02-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
John, I'll redirect my question to you since the airsling is yours-what make it cost $3k????? If it was more on the line of the prices of wakeboards, I might consider purchasing one. For $3k I could really beef up my sound system, new ropes, boards,or even a high class hooker(for my 3rd of course)....
Old    socalgrl79            09-02-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
Yeah.. I think I'll pass on the airsling. That attitude rubbed me the wrong way, completely.
Old    penny4urthots            09-03-2005, 12:32 AM Reply   
LMFAO... PoRkChOp- I didn't know just how well I hit the nail on the head when I made my previous comment about "Kapt. Kookville and his power turning".

Apparently my devotion to "The Freeride Movement" has shown itself here. I had NO IDEA that this kind of drama was so poised for it's cue. I just call em like I see em I guess...

*Most importantly I think that there IS something special about this thread that we haven't identified quite yet. What we have not ID'd is the importance of a good feather ruffling session from time to time. Why you may ask? Simple, it keeps us ALL in check and helps to naturally maintain the purity of a sport that we love. I am glad to have read EVERY single post on this thread and while I respect all of their views, I am TRULY happy to see that karma still remains as a true constant in our lives.

*Darin- Nothing personal here bro, I would just suggest some SERIOUS research before you back something again. I think we can see that there ARE ramifications for mistakes here. As a noted figure I would hope you would want to shed only positive light on yourself and your image in the wakeboarding community. Good luck out in FL my friend.
Old    waterdog2            09-03-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
Wouldent a stretchy rope do the same thing?
Old     (coopair)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-04-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I'm w/ Porkchops. We have also been a victim of this mans obvious disrespect on the water numerous times last year. Nice not to see him out as much this year.
Old    atom_ant            09-10-2005, 12:58 AM Reply   
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of our $100 non-stretch ropes?
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-10-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
How does it actually work? Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any clear explanations. How can it make landings softer?
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-11-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
the videos and pictures are horrible. Not one of them shows this thing in action. It does show an amazing rider doing amazing tricks... I want to see this thing loading and unloading in the video. The vid was of a rider, not the "AIRSLINGer throw u in the air bigger-er"