Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    cowie            08-12-2004, 1:47 AM Reply   
Just looking for some opinions regarding the Response LX for wakeboarding. Realistically cant afford a wakesetter VLX although could probably stretch to a Wakesetter/sunsetter LXI. How is the wake with wedg and ballast and what sort of ballast configurations are you running. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
As was noted elsewhere, the Response is a tournament ski boat that can be used for wakeboarding. The Wakesetter is wakeboard-specific.

I own a Response. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

- handles like a sportscar
- Wedge down and no extra ballast throws a decent beginner wake without taking up room in the boat
- can handle lots of weight and still get up on plane quickly
- throws a pretty decent wake with Wedge, side sacs and weight in the bow (at least 300 lbs)
- for it's size, it has decent storage
- interior is pretty plush

CONS

- it's small
- there's even less room when sacked down
- you will not get a tournament quality wake, no matter what you do
- an '02 is expensive for what you're getting

Old    swass            08-12-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
"- for it's size, it has decent storage"

ITS!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
On my old Response LX ('99), I used to run the Wedge, 2 Skylon FatBoys (one on each side of the motor, both rock hard, completely full), 250lbs of sand bags under the dash/bow cushion, and 300lbs of sand bags in the trunk.

Awesome wake, watch out for the rollers.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on August 12, 2004)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
Look at the Wakesetter/Sunsetter rather than the LXi version. The LXi has the diamond hull which makes it harder to weight down. I don't think their is a Wakesetter version of the LXi. The base Wakesetter DD is based off the old Sunsetter hull, not the LXi. You should be able to find them cheaper too. I think they were selling the Wakesetter DD for around $35,000 in our area, I know it was cheaper than a Response LXi.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-12-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486295309&catego ry=63686

If you have the cash this is a steal!
Old    ss_lxi            08-12-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 SS LXI and with the wedge, MLS and
2 side sacks it throws a awesome wake. The LXI has
enough room for 10 and tons of storage, it drives
like a sports car and is the largest WSA approved
ski boat. I ski some but mostly wakeboard and love
the LXI. You could pick one up with the wedge, MLS
and tower for under 30k.
Old    cowie            08-12-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just for clarification i Live in Australia and as far as i know the DD wakestter and sunsetter were never built here. Options are Response LX, Response LXI or Waksetter VLX. My budget is $50k AUD (approx $35k USD) so i am obviously looking second hand.

With the wakestter LXi what size is the MLS. As far as i know this is the centre under floor sack only. Am i right here.

Leaning toward Waksetter / Sunsetter LXi as per attached pictures, mainly for reason of room and wake, also like the legit }walkthrough. anymore opinions would be appreciated.
Waksetter LXI
Sunsetter LXi
Old    boardjockey            08-13-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
A used VLX would be a good choice for wakeboarding. Lots of room and the ballast stays hidden.

If you ski and wakeboard consider the Response or LXI.

Old    ss_lxi            08-13-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
Sunsetter LXI MLS is 500 lbs., its located in the ski locker and is filled and drained buy a switch on the dash. Make sure you get the wedge along with the MlS and it makes a fairly good wake. I added side sacks, one on each side of the motor and it makes a huge difference. The wedge adds a lip to the wake so you get better pop. I would get the SS LXI tons of storage and a great wake
for most people (unless your a pro). I would also
get the Titan tower over the swoop, rock solid, no
squeaks, folds down in 30 sec. and looks great with a bimini and some tower speakers. Good luck and enjoy.
Old    ss_lxi            08-13-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
Check out malibuboatowners.com, alot of great info about malibu boats.
Old    malibu_stacey            09-22-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
I am from Oz, I have just sold my Response. Is that your lewis in your profile? I loved the wake the Response used to throw with three bags and 100kgs of lead in the bow. I also ride with a mate with DD WLXi, it is 2' longer and about 6" wider, sure it has more storage space but not enough to make me like it. You need to throw serious weight into these to get a similar wake to the Response. If you get a WLXi make sure that it has the fuel injected motor. Dont worry too much about the MLS as it is only about 150kgs, better off rigging up a custom bag yourself.

Just a point of interest for the americans on here, our Setters up until the 05 VLX are all on the Diamond hull.