Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
A freind and I were talking the other day about why there doesn't seem to be very many companies offering wake boat engine performance upgrades. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like there would be a market for this. Especially the guys loading their boats with 2k+ lbs of ballast. I'm sure lots of people out there have performance mods on their tow trucks, exhaust, intakes, chips, superchargers, etc. Maybe everyone is happy with the power output of their boat. For me you can never have too much power, whether its your truck, boat, or lawnmower. Does anyone here have any mods done to their wakeboat engine? Would you want more horsepower if you could get it?
Old    shoeish            02-20-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
The second you add a modification to an motor beyond what the factory built it as it decreases the reliability of that motor. That isn't so much of a problem when you are on busy city streets with a vehicle, but having your boat motor go down when you are out alone miles from the ramp or anybody else is a very big deal. Why chance it?

The best thing to do on a tow boat that has to deal with zillions of pounds of ballast is to put on a new prop. Sure you lose some topend, but a modern towboat will still be able to go at least 35-36mph (unweighted), get decent fuel mileage, and not lose any reliability.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2006, 2:55 AM Reply   
Most major mods for those engines require the engine to be pulled. Theres not a whole lot besides exhaust and air intake that you can do to increase perfromance at a reasonable price especially for computer motors. The older carb motors could get a new carb upgrade and you would see a world of difference with different jetting and stuff like that for your climate but most upgrades for a TBI or EFI motors aren't cheap. You could do a cylinder head swap with different valving, bore it, stoke it, or add a supercharger. Superchargers really don't effect the reliability of TBI or EFI motors because the computor automatically adjusts for the extra forced air, also probobly the easiest mod for the rookie since it requires taking very little engine compnets off, assuming your running a centrifical charger. But most mods aren't worth it because the price.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
supercharger on non built motor = BOOM!
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-21-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Mods for EFI engines are simple and inexpensive. Just plug in a chip or programmer. Unfortunately manufacturers like jet, hypertech ect probably don't see enough of a market to do the R&D. Although I don't think it would be too far off the programs allready designed for Chevy street V8's.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-21-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Heads and cam would be the most effective, there isn't much that can be done on the exhaust side with the marine manifolds. Blowers are possible, but marine engines tend to have higher compression ratios and that doesn't usually mix well with blowers. I would go with a different prop before doing any engine work. In a perfect world, I would just drop an LS1 or a diesel and be done with it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
I havent had good luck with aftermarket chip's in my truck, So I would be real hesatant about putting any mod's on my boat motor. A friend ended up putting the wrong spark plugs in his motor, Long story short, that minor plug heat range ended up destroying his motor. My mechanic
is very specific as to NOT do any aftermarket motor changes. I think he can be a little conservative at times but I guess thats good when he is making desisions that keep your boat running. He is always telling me how much harder a marine motor works than your automotive motor and how a small change to a marine motor is like a huge change to a automotive motor. I know these days adding a aftermarket supercharger to a automotive motor is no big deal and some auto makers will not void your warranty with sutch a up grade but I cant see anyone in the marine industry standing by your side if you were to do somthing like this.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-21-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
Grant, I know what you're talking about when you talk about a "conservative mechanic", so I was wondering what does he tell you about all your custom jobs on the boat
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12734&hl=engine
Old    nautique226            02-22-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
For anyone that is thinking about more HP in a 8.1L.
http://www.raylarengine.com/
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
A "chip" as Mattato suggests is a relatively inexpensive mod but don't be surprised if changing the timings, etc doesn't do a whole lot for marine performance. Most of the time automotive mod chips sacrifice emissions for further power. Boats typically don't put a whole lot into emission reduction so there's nothing to cut there. You may be able to trade some HP for some reduction in fuel economy. A chip can't put power in there that's not there already. It can merely adjust where you get your power. I imagine marine engines' chip settings are pretty near optimal for best performance.

Personally, the only thing I've thought about power-wise is putting a Holey 4-barrel carb on my current 2-barrel setup but that's some money I'd rather spend elsewhere on the boat right now.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Nick, i agree w/ you. i also understand what all the other guys have said and what could be said about the subject. Also there was a thread a while back, but why not the diesel market. yes, it is more expensive, but like the inflation of boat prices over the last few years hasn't stopped anyone from purchasing. agreed, a marine engine works much harder than that engine in an automobile, so why not offer an engine that was designed to do just that... also the resale will be that much more too. for example, look at the 7.3 powerstroke offered by international in a ford. the upgrade from gas is 4200.00$ at hte time of the sale -- 3 yrs later look it up for resale, it is almost a 5000.00$ addition -- it actually appreciated the vehicle-- not depreciated... to get back on track, mods are readily available to any engine regardless of size and/or fuel type. and are also inexpensive w/i reason. mods when done correctly will in no wise jeopordize engine longevity.}
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-24-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
I have a friend with a dyno shop. Discussed this topic with him extensively. Considering the option of doing all the dyno tuning and programing to make this possible. Since most boats are G.M. based, just offer like three packages allready planned out and tuned . Basic being something like just a cam and new fuel curve, all the way up to a blow motor. Setting up the motors to make massive torque on the low to mid range. Curious how many people would interested. Speak up.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-25-2006, 1:43 AM Reply   
I like what Chris has to say. My father always told me there are 3 things a man can never have enough of... Money, Sex or Horsepower
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-26-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Chris, thats exactly what I was thinking. If people are willing to fork over $60k+ for a boat, I'm sure a lot of them have the money for more horsepower. I've been in boats with lower power range props that still take time to plane out when they are fuly loaded. On the late model EFI engines it would be pretty easy to put together a blower kit that would increase HP by 120 or more. Blowers are just about standard in offshore type boats. I think it might be worth looking into developing a kit. Or maybe wakeboarders aren't horsepower junkies like I am.
Old    tclagggym            02-26-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
For myself, I don't think any more horse power is going to make my wake any bigger or better. Ripping someones arms off pulling them out is probably not a good idea either.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-26-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
I wakeboard and barefoot, it's a lot to ask for a boat to handle both scenarios. My boat is about 2 mph too slow for me to do solid one footers so I am interested in about 50hp? I would also like a little more oomph for slalom starts. Being able to turn a bigger prop so I don't have to spin 4k rpms at 34mph would also be a benefit.

Props can only do so much, I have gone through 4 different pitches/diameters to get what I have now.

I am interested.
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Arizona speed and marine does custom marine ECM
calibrations.If you have money to spend they have equipment to buy.
azspeed-marine.com
sorry my links not working.
(Message edited by dls on February 27, 2006)

(Message edited by dls on February 27, 2006)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-27-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
There are bolt-on marine blowers. They don't affect top end as much as low end grunt. You may get some extra hp to allow for a higher pitch prop and add 4-5 mph on the top end. Watch the rpms. It is tempting to over-rev with the available hp.