Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-29-2012, 2:36 AM Reply   
Who has 'em? What do you have?

Just asking because things are starting to hit the fan more and more lately and I really don't think there is a better time to get familiar with a home and self defense weapon. Don't worry this isn't about holding a glock sideways and "bustin' a cap."

I just put down my deposit on a new Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W. I will be getting my CCW, no doubt about it. I may be lining up a new job and if so I will be in some sketchy parts of sketchy towns. On top of that, I have more than just myself to think about now (soon to be married) and I want to be able to protect her whether it be at or away from home.

All that was a great excuse to get her to let me get the gun and buy ammo to shoot it plenty! Really excited to pick up this firearm, hopefully not my last Sig.

(Not my gun, but identical)
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-29-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
These are always interesting threads. Some think we are crazy for having a gun, some understand it.

My $.02...I carry a PT 145 PRO, and sometimes a 9mm if it is cool enough for a jacket to help conceal. If you are getting the Sig for home and personal carry I would also add a good 20 gauge pump for the house. Also get a good safe. The last thing you want is for someone to break in and get your guns if they don't happen to be on your person. Lastly, train. Just having your CCW isn't enough. You need to train regularly to use your carry weapon without even thinking about it. Check you local range for handgun classes, I feel they are a necessity and also a lot of fun.

Congtats on the CCW, shoot safe.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
I just took my CCW class and should have my permit any week now. I just bought a Ruger LC9 and love it.
Attached Images

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-29-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
S&M Model 59 9 mm
Springfield XD40 subcompact
.22 Revolver (forgot who made it)
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Colorado CCW
Glock 23 .40
S&W M&P 9mm
Have many more, but these are some of my favorites.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-29-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Springfield XDM 9mm for daily carry (without the SureFire light and laser). I also carry the XDM .45 ACP, but it's considerably heavier on the hip. Absolutely love these guns!

As far as home defense goes I second a good shotgun or incase the 'Bath Salt' epidemic spreads, something like these..
AR15 and the Armalite Super SASS .308 suppressed
Attached Images

Old    sperbet            06-29-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
Another gun thread. Nice! We haven't had one for a while. I've got a Glock 23 - .40
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-29-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Springfield XDM 9mm for daily carry (without the SureFire light and laser). I also carry the XDM .45 ACP, but it's considerably heavier on the hip. Absolutely love these guns!

As far as home defense goes I second a good shotgun or incase the 'Bath Salt' epidemic spreads, something like these..
AR15 and the Armalite Super SASS .308 suppressed
No suppressors in ca. Bums me out! I keep a Remington 870 12 Gauge but my house is tiny I don't think I'd need to shoot somebody I could just fire the weapon in a safe direction and it would be so loud in here nobody in their right mind would stay inside.

My moms husband sees that differently, but he had a good point. His exact words were, "a smart burglar, somebody who only wants your stuff will only enter if you aren't home. They don't want to fight you, they want to rummage through your stuff and find your good stuff. Somebody comes in when you are home, F***ING KILL THEM. They have the balls to do that then they are willing to do bad **** once inside."

I agree with him for the most part. Of course I would hope I never have to worry about this. But times are getting worse and I think you're naive if you think otherwise, you are only putting the life of your loved ones and yourself at risk not to be prepared for home invasion, or a mugging or car jack.

To quote Tony Stark, "the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once."
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-29-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
I carry a XD45 but it's kinda heavy and hard to conceal so sometimes if I really need to hide it then I take the Kel-tec P3AT.

For home defense I have a mossberg 500 under the bed and an AR-15 in the closet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have a Walther P5 Compact 9mm. In general, handguns are kind of boring to me. I much prefer to shoot my AR or my SKS. Shooting clays out in the woods with the boys and a cooler of beer is as good as it gets for me.

Last edited by jarrod; 06-29-2012 at 9:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
I got my CCW a couple months ago in WA, I still need to decide on a weapon...
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Get something small if you plan on carrying it on your person. You will quickly find out that its a PIA to conceal a larger handgun. I think the Glock 27 subcompact .40 is a good mix. Small, but powerful and holds 9 in a standard mag (you can go bigger if legal in your state). The average shooting occurs within 15 feet and it's my opinion there is no need to carry a full size around.

If you want a full size for home or to keep in the vehicle, I would go with a 1911 .45 of your choice. I like Springfield Operator.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-29-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
My latest hole punch. Anyone know what it is?
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            06-29-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
Fn p9?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-29-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
Close!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
Fn 5.7
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-29-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Bingo! Love shooting this thing. You have much exp with the 5.7mm round?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Not too much. Why ask ye?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-30-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
I also find hand guns rather boring.

A bit off topic...

I want to hook myself up with a tricked out AR. Any recommendations?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Custom billet AR-15's.

https://houldingprecisionfirearms.com/
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-30-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
I think handguns serve more of a purpose than an AR. I want the thing for home and self defense. If I want to have fun I will go to the lake
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
one must have an assortment of firearms
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-01-2012, 5:56 AM Reply   
Barry, I ask because I've been saving brass in hopes of reloading in the future, but I read it isn't as straight fwd as other rounds due to a coating on the brass. Wasn't sure if this was BS or not so wanted the opinion of a real reloader.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-01-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
GD, what will you be doing with the AR? I would get a good piston driven model.

I'm also not a big handgun collector, but that FN FiveseveN is kind of its own beast. It's called the pocket rifle as it shoots a rifle round and holds 20rds in a standard mag and 30rds in the slightly extended mag. On top of that it has little to no recoil. Been many anti gun campaigns to have this gun/round banned for these reasons as well as its armor piercing capability.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-01-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
A very week rifle round, on par with .22 magnum, at least as commercially loaded. The military load is hotter and will penetrate a Kevlar helmet and level two body armor. It's a very difficult round to reload due to the pressures involved and lack of general published reloading data. I know of at least a dozen reloading related kabooms with that gun. this is the gun of choice in the Mexican gangs, down on the border, and in southern Arizona. For some reason, when you hold the gun on its side and don't aim, having 20 rounds is desirable.

Penetrating body armor is pretty easy now, a .357 magnum or .44 magnum with delrin bullets will go threw damn near anything and unload 100% of its energy into to a soft body on contact. Devastating load!
Old    deltahoosier            07-01-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
The 5.7 round is the same round that is used in the P90 sub machine gun
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-01-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Yup, that's what it was designed for... The bullet is intended to "tumble" when it hits a soft body, versus expanding like a typical bullet design.

If you go down to interstate 8 in Arizona and look in the major ditches you will find 5.7x28 casings in almost every one of them! This is also the gun used in the Fort Hood shooting, it's interesting read

There are far more websites in Spanish for this gun than probably any other...

http://www.mexicoarmado.com/content/fn-five-seven-763/
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-01-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Well rifle as in pointed projectile traveling 2200fps as opposed to blunt nose traveling 800fps. The load for mil isn't too much different than civilian ss195. The difference is the civi projectiles are HP or ballistic tip, where the military is steel penetrators, thus the body armor thing.

Cartels like them because of high capacity and anyone with lilttle or no experience shooting can be proficient with it. Also makes it enjoyable for the wife/GF who doesn't shoot often to go to the range and hit what she points at.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-01-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
I want the AR for OVERT home protection in the case of a big natural/un-natrual disaster where lawlessness may prevail for a few days/weeks.

I want my gun safe to have...

1) stylish 20g over-under upland game shotgun (have this).
2) bad arse 12g alley sweeper shotgun.
3) tricked out AR for home protection and fun at the range.
4) nice reliable handgun with night sights.

Last edited by diamonddad; 07-01-2012 at 9:26 AM.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Barry, I ask because I've been saving brass in hopes of reloading in the future, but I read it isn't as straight fwd as other rounds due to a coating on the brass.
Jason, I have heard similar things along with neck/shoulder thickness being an issue, but I don't have any experience loading it. Sorry. I have also heard of several catastrophic failures with re-loaders, but no hard data to support what caused it.

Quote:
A very week rifle round, on par with .22 magnum, at least as commercially loaded.
Mmmmm, That's a bit misleading. The 5.7x28 was designed to be shot from pistol length barrels and employs a very fast burning powder to achieve a capable pressure. A .22 Mag was designed to be shot from rifle length barrels and employs a very slow burning, magnum powder. While the results are similar, they're achieved by completely different means.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
The bullet is intended to "tumble" when it hits a soft body,
That is simply a function of a low BC/SD projectile(short and fat) bullet meeting resistance- the force of the heavy end overtaking the light end. I've heard it said that the 5.7 was 'designed' to tumble... It makes it sound magic! Nah, simple physics... you'll find the same attributes on any projectile with its mass distributed unevenly enough over its length to overcome the projectiles imparted spin axis. 5.56 does the same thing.

Last edited by barry; 07-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-01-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yes and 5.56 was also designed to tumble, another NATO round. My dad has twelve in his back, they didn't kill him, only took him and the plugging holes out of the fight.

You have to love Hickok45...

Personally, I like the LCR in .357. It is accurate, easy to carry, and I can fire it from my coat pocket or backpack and it won't jam.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Tucker, it was never designed to tumble, it is simply the result of a low BC/SD projectile meeting resistance and overcoming the imparted rotational axis. It's not a function of design.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-01-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Yeah, the 5.7 sporting round has the same Hornady projectile as the 5.56/223. If you haven't shot one you really should. The other fun gimmic of the 5.7 pistol is shooting targets/plates at 100yds. Little to no bullet drop so relatively easy do. Not that you would ever have a use to do so, but neat nonetheless.

GD, the AR world is so vast. I think you just pick a dollar amount, whether you want a gas piston or direct impingement and start building. The better ARs are Daniel Defense and Rock River. The Ferraris are the FN Scar 16 and the Bushmaster ACR (I don't think they are technically AR15 but same style). And if you are looking for something fun and unique, get a bullpup like a Steyr AUG, FN PS90, or FN FS2000. I took my nephews to the range this morning and they LOVED my PS90.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-01-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
It's not like most other handguns are lobbing bullets @ 100 yards. I shoot IHMSA And NRA Long rang Pistol and it's probably the most fun I've had with a handgun other than maybe the dueling trees.

After you drop your first ram @ 200 meters your hooked! I shoot my S&W 627 V-Comp in production, and a Freedom Arms in 44 Magnum in the open class. I can hit a 55 gallon drum @ 400 yards about 80% of the time with the 44 offhand. It does get any more accurate than a Freedom Arms though unless you go totally custom, they are linebored.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Ruger LCp for carry
Smith 990l in .40 for truck gun

Since the discussion turned to ar's, look at .300blk for home defense. I built 2 in that. Took them out today to feed them some 220 gr subsonic rounds.

I like the kel Tec pf9 too. Went with LCp due to connection to get a fitted laser
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-02-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
.300blk will be my next build for sure. Still saving up for the 7.62 can, though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
GD,

I think I saw your SUV parked over at the hwy 4 / Bixler Safeway on Sat night. I tried to approach your Vizsla's but they let me know that I wasn't welcome. haha. Was that your Honda?

I bought a used AR off of call guns. I don't have the patience, skills, or time to build one. So Far so good.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yes. That was us. We were getting Sushi. Yes, our rescue boy Bond will bark scary if you got too close. Was the girl barking too?

I definitely don't want to build one. I just want to buy one that is sweet out of the box. I also don't mind paying a fair price for it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Nice rig
Attached Images

Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-02-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=I definitely don't want to build one. I just want to buy one that is sweet out of the box. I also don't mind paying a fair price for it.[/QUOTE]

Daniel Defense is high quality right out of the box
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
Yup. They both went ape **** when I approached.

That pistol setup on the bike is awesome.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Step 1. Pistol my way to the safe

Step 2. Clear the house with 12 gauge

Step 3. AR for whoever is left.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Nice combo!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Jarrod, I like your AR. Keeping it simple. Adjustable stock. Optic sight. It looks clean. Is there anything you would do different?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-03-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
Here are my two 5.7mm
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-05-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
I like the look of the handle sights, but I think the Red Dot is better for me. The red dot is not magnified. While we were camping in the desert, I was taking some 300 yard shots and wishing I had a real magnified scope, but that's probably best suited for another gun like a 308, .30-06 or or something. Overall I'm happy with it. It's all I need.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-05-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
that thing ^^^^ is wild looking. What is that????
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
FNH PS90
FNH FiveseveN

Both shoot the 5.7mm round. PS90 holds 50rds horizontally in a mag that sits on top. Tack driver accurate with no recoil. In use by various euro military forces as well as US secret service. Really fun to shoot.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-05-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Jason,
Have you tried one the of 5.7x28 AR uppers? We have a guy at our club that has one, but it always has feed issues.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've seen them but I don't have one. Most of the feed issues have to do with the craps mags that come with it. Most have to replace them with factory FN mags. Usually fixes all feed issues.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       07-12-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Jason, I also have a PS90 and 5.7 in OD Green. I have an EOTech on the PS90 and a really cool sling. Two pretty cool guns. I also have a FN Tactical 45 with an RMR sight on it.

I am a big fan of FN weapons. I am going to get an FNS9 whenever you can get one without a manual safety. I can't stand striker-fired handguns with a manual safety.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
As of an hour ago, my wife became the proud owner of a Sig 22 Mosquito. She doesn't know it yet though.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
She will love it! Fun pistol, and an outstanding host for a .22 supressor if you ever do NFA stuff in the future.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
she doesn't love guns at all right now. But that's the idea. My 9 freaked her out.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
Rob, Lets go shoot! I bought the PS90 for the wife to shoot, and I fell in love with it so much I went and got the FiveseveN. She loves it! They are fun shooters.

J-Rod, she will be when she gets her hands on that .22. My wife was real anti until I got a .22 1911 for her to shoot. She also did not like the bigger calibers. She likes the 5.7mm guns because they have big kid power/sound, but feel like the .22 she loves. ...and everyone at the range oohs and ahhs over it when she is shooting.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-22-2012, 10:19 PM Reply   
Brought my Sig home today, shot a bunch of rounds through it and it ate them all up no problem. Great gun I'm very pleased with it.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-13-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
I'm trying to track down one of these at the moment, although I can't buy another hand gun until next year, or so I'm told. Anyway, Sig P226 Equinox .40S&W. Wouldn't really intend on shooting it, just a safe queen. Maybe get a nice locking display case for it. I love this gun, I saw it in person and let me tell you that pictures do not do it any justice.

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
I've got a sic Tac-Ops 1911 that's a really nice .45. Sig builds great guns. I'd like to add a 226 at some point.

My Newest

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
GD... We can talk AR's if you want. I made all the mistakes starting out, so I know where to go with them. Building is a snap, but you can find some really nice complete guns, too.

Go to Canyon Sports and pick up a Daniel Defense. Put a 1-4 Leupold VXR on it and be done with it. It'll be a perfect 0-250 yard defensive weapon. That's basically the set-up on my top left gun. I used a FNH chrome lined barrel, M16 bolt and carrier, Leupold and a bunch of other goodies. The scope has a instant on illumination when it's moved so it's perfect to leave loaded for quick pick up. I'd used that gun to 400 yards with great success.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
4) nice reliable handgun with night sights.
Maybe consider a pistol with rails. The laser or light really helps my 40's recoil.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
Ruger LCP .380. No excuse not to carry it.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-26-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
Guido looks like he could start an army.Remind me never to piss him off!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-04-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
My new one. Finally bit the bullet so to speak and bought my dream revolver. 357 686 Plus
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-07-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
I'm fully convinced that I NEED one of those. Hahahaha. Can't wait to shoot it.

Building another AR this week... Couldn't help myself. This one's getting a krylon job. Gonna be my camping trip "beater" to go along with the AK. Pics to follow.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
GD... We can talk AR's if you want. I made all the mistakes starting out, so I know where to go with them. Building is a snap, but you can find some really nice complete guns, too.

Go to Canyon Sports and pick up a Daniel Defense. Put a 1-4 Leupold VXR on it and be done with it. It'll be a perfect 0-250 yard defensive weapon. That's basically the set-up on my top left gun. I used a FNH chrome lined barrel, M16 bolt and carrier, Leupold and a bunch of other goodies. The scope has a instant on illumination when it's moved so it's perfect to leave loaded for quick pick up. I'd used that gun to 400 yards with great success.
Funny, I just ordered a little .22lr for our daughter to learn with. I'm now shopping for a .22lr my self and a .223 or 300 The Daniel Defense options are right at the top of my list. I'm really just looking for a 50m target rifle... but I know I'll *want* something more fun than the .22lr to set up with goodies.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-16-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
You will want both. Get a 22lr for yourself as they are so fun to targetshoot and take out small stuff. Really fun and cheap to get a suppressor for them as well. I would recommend getting a 10/22 and putting the Archangel furniture on it. Or just go with the M&P. I would skip the 5.56 AR and build a 300BLK.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-16-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Too lazy to go and take a picture, s&w 9MM
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2012, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
You will want both. Get a 22lr for yourself as they are so fun to targetshoot and take out small stuff. Really fun and cheap to get a suppressor for them as well. I would recommend getting a 10/22 and putting the Archangel furniture on it. Or just go with the M&P. I would skip the 5.56 AR and build a 300BLK.
For a .22lr I'm staring to hunt around for a Izhmash Biathlon Basic 7-2. I want something accurate and that I could try out BIathlon this winter with. A buddy of mine is pushing me towards the new Colt LE901-16S... I'm still thinking Daniel Defense in 300 and be done with it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
300 BLK is cool if you're planning on going supressed. Here in CA where we don't have that option the 300 BLK isn't very viable. Balistics are very similar to a 7.62X39 which you can get in a AR chassis, also. 7.62X39 ammo is cheap and readily available. Personally if you do not have a .223/5.56 AR I would highly recomend that as your first AR. Ammo is cheap and runs all over the board from steel case plinking ammo to heavy match ammo. Get a 1:7 barrel and you can shoot almost everything except the light weight varmint stuff.

If you're looking to stretch your legs a bit, but don't want to get into a AR10 chassis, then consider 6.5 grendel or 6.8. The grendel is a very flat shooting round, but pricey. At that point I'd probably just get a .308, however if you're really looking to get out there the .308 doesn't fly very flat. Maybe do something in a .260 which you can run through a 10 chassis. Or just get a bolt gun.

Let's be real, a 5.56 gun will get you out to 600 yards with ease and not too many people shoot out that far regularly. As for close up... The 5.56 will stop almost anything you'll run into. I've seen some devastating results in balistics gel will plain ol 55grn FMJ's. A lot depends on how the round hits and destabilizes.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-21-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
300 BLK is cool if you're planning on going supressed. Here in CA where we don't have that option the 300 BLK isn't very viable. Balistics are very similar to a 7.62X39 which you can get in a AR chassis, also. 7.62X39 ammo is cheap and readily available. Personally if you do not have a .223/5.56 AR I would highly recomend that as your first AR. Ammo is cheap and runs all over the board from steel case plinking ammo to heavy match ammo. Get a 1:7 barrel and you can shoot almost everything except the light weight varmint stuff.

If you're looking to stretch your legs a bit, but don't want to get into a AR10 chassis, then consider 6.5 grendel or 6.8. The grendel is a very flat shooting round, but pricey. At that point I'd probably just get a .308, however if you're really looking to get out there the .308 doesn't fly very flat. Maybe do something in a .260 which you can run through a 10 chassis. Or just get a bolt gun.

Let's be real, a 5.56 gun will get you out to 600 yards with ease and not too many people shoot out that far regularly. As for close up... The 5.56 will stop almost anything you'll run into. I've seen some devastating results in balistics gel will plain ol 55grn FMJ's. A lot depends on how the round hits and destabilizes.
So just a hour ago I picked an AR15 LMT upper and Rock River lower. Friend of a friend does builds on the side and his wife works at a local shop. So no sales tax, no transfer fee and used gun pricing on something that has 60 rounds thru it.

After thinking about it and talking to some folks that shoot more than me, getting a 5.56 to start with made the most sense. Will look for a bolt action .308 next, oh and a .22lr too ;-)
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-21-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Quote:

Good post!

Only thing I disagree with is the 1:7.. you're not going to shoot 55's well out past 100, they'll overstabilize.
Great call on the .260/6.5 for long range precision.

Plug: houldingprecisionfirearms.com
We machine custom Billet AR-15 match uppers and lowers from 7075 T6. We are gearing up to do AR-10's and bolt guns very soon. I'd love to build you a truly custom rifle.

Last edited by barry; 09-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Barry.... You know I wont argue with you. You're a guru. My experience with the (2)1:7 uppers that I have, 55 grain stabilize fine. I've shot them to 400+yards without any trouble. I would prefer a heavier round at that range anyway, but the best groups my FN chrome lined 1:7 will shoot is with Hornaday match 55 grn rounds. IMO 1:8 is the most versatile, but it isn't popular in anything other than stainless barrels (both stainless barrels I have are 1:8 and will shoot just about anything from 50grn to 80grn). A 1:9 will shoot 55grn the best, but is a compromise if you want to shoot something heavier. Some will stabilize 75 grn and some will not. Depends on the load and the barrel.

I'm headed to the web site right now... I think I may eventually need a custom bolt gun.

Sean, you wont be upset with that set-up. LMT makes very nice equipment.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:

Sean, you wont be upset with that set-up. LMT makes very nice equipment.
Ya, just playing with a few different uppers the LMT seemed tighter and more refined. My local range has closed down for a few days due to dry conditions (fire danger). Might go to an indoor range tomorrow night to zero in the AR. Really want park myself at the outdoor range for a morning and get familiar and put a few hundred rounds thru it. Will then start looking at more accessories and optics for it.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-24-2012, 2:34 PM Reply   
Jarrod, How did the wife like the .22?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Sean, lube that thing up and run it wet. Some people will tell you differently, but Mobil 1 motor oil has worked flawlessly for me.

Jason.. His gun is still in lock down. He got the .357 and has to wait 30 more days to get another handgun. Thank you CA. His .357 is bada$$, though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Yup. Rookie move. Apparently CA doesn't allow more than 1 gun in 30 days. Makes perfect sense, right?

Wait 30 more days, pay another 25$ for new BG check, then wait 10 more days. I loooooove my new 686 plus revolver though.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2012, 12:39 AM Reply   
I don't know about guru, but thanks for the confidence.

Do you know the velocity of those 55's you were shooting out to 400? Also, what did the groups look like, or were you striking dingers/plates?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-26-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Yup. Rookie move. Apparently CA doesn't allow more than 1 gun in 30 days. Makes perfect sense, right?

Wait 30 more days, pay another 25$ for new BG check, then wait 10 more days. I loooooove my new 686 plus revolver though.
That 357 is sweet!

Weird, yall dont just walk in, pick a gun or 2, flash your CHL, swipe your CC, and walk out?

Cheaper than Dirt (gun store down the street from me) is in the Target parking lot. The last gun I bought, I went into the gunstore and the wife walked into Target to grab some detergent. I beat her back to the car, lol.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yea, those Cali laws are a damn joke. Texas+CHL= 5 minute deal. I have bought 2 or 3 new guns from dealers at gun shows multiple times. You see a great deal on a gun and can't buy it because you already bought a gun that month??? What liberal b.s. I can remember getting a huge commission check and buying 2 handguns, 1 AR-15 and 4,000 rounds of ammo once :-)