Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
I was wondering at what speed you guys consider taking your boards off the rack and folding the bimini (If at all?).....most of the time the lake is only a 6-7 minute shot....However I plan on towing to spots 1-3 hours away @ 100-120km/hr or 60 -75 mph......This is my first wake specific boat so more "newbie" questions to follow.....Thanks in advance for your input.....
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-19-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
I never tow with boards on the racks or the bimini up, period.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
May I ask why Razzman.....seems easier to me on short runs at low speeds(In town).....Are you just going with the safer than sorry theory?....
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
I run with the bimini up for short runs, but I don't think I've ever run with boards up, just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
May I ask why Razzman.....seems easier to me on short runs at low speeds(In town).....Are you just going with the safer than sorry theory?....
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
Boards in the rack, no, I would hate for one to fly out. I usually tow with my bimini up. By up I dont mean open though. Unless its over an hour trip then I would take it down. I dont know about towing above 60 either. I wouldnt advise that, I dont know what your local laws are. I cruise with my boat...55-60 mph.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-19-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
The reason I don't leave the boards in the rack is why risk it? It only takes seconds and why risk the potential of losing an $800 set up and possibly causing an accident. I rarely use my bimini so I can't answer that. But I would reason why risk messing your top up, they aren't cheap either.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
We usually tow twice a year, put the boat in and out.... the boat landing is about .2 miles away, and a 25 mph.... boards in the rack

but anything over that I would pull them down.... it takes all of 10 seconds and could save a lot of disaster
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-19-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Everybody's already answered it. Why risk it? I was driving home from work one day and here's this boat with boards on the racks and bimini up and there's not a lake or waterway within 45 minutes. The boards are dancing and shaking and the bimini was open and looked like it was going to rip off any minute. Loose a board and hit a car wouldn't be good. Biminis aren't cheap, at the least you'll bend the frame. Is it worth the ten minutes to setup at the lake? I tow with the bimini closed, booted and strapped and the boards in the boat secured.

(Message edited by razzman on May 19, 2009)
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-19-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I tow 1 mile each direction... boards in the racks and bimini up. Speed limit is 20mph. ;)

Here's what I don't get.... All of you won't think twice about blasting through choppy water @ 40mph with boards in the rack, but you won't drive down a paved road @ 25. Odd, right?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-19-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Robert, how many times have you seen boats nose to stern in traffic gridlock on the lake? If a board comes off on the lake (been there) or you frag your bimini your likely not going to hit another boat like you would a car on the highway ... doesn't seem so odd to me.

Nobody said they didn't do that, in fact some did. I have driven down the road fully outfitted at 25-30 for about a mile to the ramp on vacation at a lake, but that's the only time. Every time i launch it's usually a 45min - 1 hour tow. Chad was asking about a 1-3 hour tow at 60-75.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
To Chad,
No way. Way too much to loose.

That said, I live about a mile from the gas station. We tow there all the time with the bimini up, up to 35 mph, no big deal.
And we're about 3 blocks from the boat ramp, and will go there with $8k in SkySkis on the racks. Their Comptech racks & are very secure...... Not some cheezy bungie. Plus we don't go more than about 20 mph thru a neighborhood.

I imagine some of the more secure board racks wouldn't be an issue at low speeds, ie 25 - 35 mph. I have a pair of the Skylon Batracks on my boat & I barely trust them on the water, much less on the road.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-19-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
I tow 1500ft, 15mph

boards in racks
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-19-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
Chad, going 100 kph puts 4X the load on everything that going 50 kph on the water does. Every time a semi passes going the other direction you might double that wind load again, and no one is in the boat to see what's flapping and breaking. If you don't mind getting to the lake with a couple thousand in missing equipment and damage then go for it.
The wind force goes up at the square of the speed so what you see on the lake is nothing like what you would see on the highway. It is a mistake to leave up the gear, or the bimini.
If you're doing what robert suggests it's no big deal, except that the water is softer than the curb if you forgot to tie a board down.

(Message edited by rallyart on May 19, 2009)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-19-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
^^^^ me too ^^^^ abe. guess were spoiled!!
i take it a step further and dont use my transom tie downs, dohhh!!
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-19-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
^^^oh yeah? well I'll take it one more. I unhook ALL my straps before I back down the ramp

(Message edited by reconabe on May 19, 2009)
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
your boat gets alot rougher ride on the trailer than in the water. trailer suspensions are stiff at best.a loaded up tower gets a pretty good workout driving around town.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
another thing that was not mentioned... If you tow with boards in the racks, it makes you that much WIDER and they might hit tree limbs that are close to the road or another vehicle passing... Or in my case, a brick column at the gate of a gated comunity.... As for the bimini... I do not haul with it open either, it only takes a couple of minutes to put it up and not worth the risk.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-20-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
I will leave the boards in for a 8-10 mile drive home at 45-50 mph, but I have only left the bimini open once. I have more faith in the security of my racks than the rigidity of my bimini frame and fabric.

my $0.02
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys......Kinda the response I expected.....My thought was you go 30-40 mph while cruising so what's the difference while towing....salty87 brings up a good point about trailer being stiffer than a trip across the pond
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-20-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Ok, that answers for the Bimini and boards in racks, but I thought id jump in on another question, Not trying to hijack, just wanted to see if it was the same concensus

What about traveling with your tower speakers?

Ive got a set of Pro80s and they are mounted to the sides of the tower since the bimini gets in the way when its zipped up on the tower...The cool thing is, they are able to be taken off as you know, but in my situation, I would have to re-image them once I get to the water...which is almost impossible to know if they are firing too high or too low...
Do you think its ok to travel with them loaded on the tower about an hour away, max speed 50ish, or will the wind just end up turning them outwards on the tower?...its just one trip as we usually stay local..
Usually just travel 5 miles with em on and no damage or movement, max speed around 50 again...
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-20-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Take the boards down. I use to leave them up all the time, heck the lakes only 5 minutes away and i hit a damn tree branch. Bent the rack and damged the board. It was an expensive mistake! Its amazing how much better shape the boards stay in now too!

As for speakers, I've never taken mine off and I've driven 600 miles at 80mph with no problems, well other then bugs, need to get a cover! lol
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
I have four 8" Dbot5s on my tower & travel freeway speeds all the time with them up..... and covered!

I'm sure mileage suffers with that much drag though. There was a thread a while back about towing with the tower up or down & how it effected mileage. I don't recall the results but I'm sure it makes a difference. Probably worth the hassle if your towing some distance.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-20-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
What do you mean "re-image"? Are they the newer 80's or the older ones with the trick connect clamps? Either way, they'll go on exactly where they came off. The newer 80's have the gear looking thing on top, so it's really easy to reinstall them in teh same position they were.

I have a Z5 cargo rack, and it's too big to take off and put somewhere else. It's also way to complicated to take the fabric part off, so I just leave it on. I have a WS 3-Some on the tower also, but those come down when teh boat is loaded. I even have covers, but I'd rather not have those speakers out in the elements and to get bugs all over them. My boards do come off and go into the ski lockers though.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-20-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
I wanted the Z5 but i have to drop the tower to put the boat away and there was no way i was going to putup & remove that thing every time.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-20-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
For most of us the boat is actually too wide for the lanes with the wakeboards in the rack so for that reason alone I just don't ever tow with a wakeboard in my rack. No reason to risk destruction of a thousand dollars worth of equipment to save about 5 minutes.

I have towed with my bimini up. My rule of thumb is that I never tow faster then my boat goes across the water since that is all as it is designed for. In my situation this means 40MPH, not 41, 42, or anything higher. I also pay attention to wind, if I am in a head wind I tend to limit the speed to 35.

I have a tower bimini it seems fine at these speeds but doesn't seem like it would be fine any faster. I also have my bimini "tuned" so it does not parachute in the wind.

Speakers are often off when towing but this is about 50/50. It's just a convenience and security issue.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-20-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Jonyb, They are the newer 80's but they mount to the side of my tower rather than at the conventional top. They are the trick connect brackets so the bracket stays but we have to adjust up and down since the bracket is on the side. and its hard to tell where its firing.. we are talking about getting an upholstery shop to customize the top of the Bimini so we can relocate the speakers..
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
^^^You have to be joking. When is the last time you saw a boat go 78-82 on the lake with boards in the racks?
Old     (wakeandmx)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-20-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
2 things. 1st, Pull the mali with the bimini up between storage, gas and ramp which is maybe total of 8 miles. 2 miles from storage to ramp with the occasional out of the way trip to pumps. Never had a problem with the bimini, it is still as solid as the first time it was put up. 2nd, bought a new surfboard last year, on the way from ramp to storage last summer, hit a tree limb, board came off, hit the pavement. Lesson learned! Bimini up, Racks in. Any thing over 35 everything in!