Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    larkin            10-17-2003, 4:51 AM Reply   
Just curious if anyone out there is doing this with consistency. I've seen videos online and on the instructionals but want some feedback on the difficulty.

I am able to land hs backrolls with some success and want to branch out with another invert.

Maybe another question would be, is a tantrum the best next progression?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2003, 5:34 AM Reply   
The toeside back is a hard move to keep consistant on. I had is solid last season and could grab it. This season I have had the tendancy to throw it early. I think it is a very easy move cause you can spot your landing very easily as you come around. I still land the move 90% of the time but sometimes I throw it so early I don't clear the other wake but still land it. The key is to wait before you let go with your back hand till you pop.
Old    swass            10-17-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
Blabel does a jaw-dropping toeside front roll. It's sick.

Sorry - irrelevant.
Old    andzei            10-17-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
i can do it...but cant grab it
Old    larkin            10-17-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
Stan,
How good is your ts progressive edge? Mine is getting better but not as good as my hs.

On all the instructional videos and other stuff, it seems that the riders are getting a ton of pop and that is something I don't have right now.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
ts back roll is my first and only invert right now. I just got it a few weeks ago and have landed only about 4 or 5.

Most of the summer I was doing as Stan was/is and trying to flip before I hit the top of the wake.

I havent even tried a bs backroll yet. The ts backroll just seemed more natural for me to try.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
swass, he does ts backrolls too

PS why aren't you here with the rest of the guys?
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
Oh, and half the time I still case the wake on the opp side. I have to work on better height and distance.

I have a vid of me doing a ts backroll on my site but its kinda long (6min) with my other friends n family in it too (Im last person).
http://www.cannonballv.net/our_wakeboarding_fun.htm - in the vid section (a little bit down the page)
Old    swass            10-17-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
I don't remember him doing that one. When did he add that to his bag of tricks? That's one big funkin bag.

My homies left me behind, Mel. Todd was kind enough to leave me a taunting message last night, though.

We didn't want to be an anchor around everyone's neck by draggin' a three-month-old baby along.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-17-2003, 7:36 AM Reply   
Swass, I learned that easy ass trick 20 years ago, sheesh.

Actually I think I learned it about 3 years ago. I can land them consistently and grab them most of the time but I have trouble getting the height all the time.

It's important to hold your edge all the way up the wake and to push your upper chest up. That's what gets you the height. Unfortunately my body rarely does what my pea brain says and I throw it too early.

It's one of those tricks where if you land it clean with a grab, you feel like a man!

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-17-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
Cliff: Assuming you don't mind some advice, I have some for you.

On your HS and TS 3, you are looking down at the water. On spins, especially when learning them, your body will follow where your head is looking. I know its awkward but look at the horizon. It looks like you are very close on those tricks and that may do it.

On your ts backroll you are bending at the waist too much and not pushing your chest up off the wake. Try to stand tall at the wake and push up with your chest. Read this article and watch this video. I wish I could do mine like this:
http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip007.asp

On the wakeskate when you try w2w you are letting the handle get away from you. It's very important that you keep the handle in close on this trick. If it gets away from you your upper body will follow and you won't be over the board. Also, once the board reaches the peak of the jump, you need to push it down with your feet so that it will stay with you. Try little one wake jumps like that to get the feel, then take them bigger and bigger.

I also saw a backside 180 attempt in there. Can you do them in the flats yet?

Sorry for the long post I just saw some things that may help you. Nice smooth riding by the way.
Old    swass            10-17-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
And you'll be coming out for my lesson...when?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-17-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
I landed one, then was close on every attempt but just washed out on the landings. Then I under rotated one and took the hardest crash of my life. They've never been the same since.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-17-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Fly us out there Swass!
Old    larkin            10-17-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
Cliff,
I have never mastered the famous "handle toss" move, but I do have a buddy that has stomped the hs "ht" move many times. However, you finish it way better than he does.

Funny video.

Good riding, I noticed you were grabbing the ts backroll, does that help to go for the grab in the move when you are learning it?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
I hate ts backrolls. I can only land them off of the double up and that is about 10% of time. Really annoying. I think I am doing the classic thing--throwing it too early. So everyone says wait longer, don't throw it early. Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-17-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
What Blabel is saying (push your upper chest up) will help you with what you need to do at the top and that's to extend. It starts with your legs.
Punch up off the top, then rotate.
Similair process for a TS 3.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Blabel...I very much appriciate any help in making my further attempts at wakeboarding better.

I understand about the leaning back more, its how I back flip normal, its just trying to get it going at 20mph, hitting the wake, waiting till nearly last minute, etc.

The wake skate vid is just us goofing off. I dont think any of us are really serious about getting better at it...its just so much fun using it as a moving spring board :-)

On my "Come out and Play" vid, which is last couple of weeks riding, I did land the ts backroll (3 times but only twice on tape) & hs 360 as well as bs 180 in the flats.
All three of which were goals of mine this summer.

However getting the w2w bs 180 and even off one wake is still beyond my abilities. I am currently practicing the bs 180 on my switch side...done it like twice. I want it consistant like I am on my regular stance.

Adam...my friend has so many "signature moves" and I have only the one. The handle toss! Not only can I get a good handle toss, I can get a good spin on it too :-)
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-17-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Cliff, nice riding. We'll have to get together again. I've been wanting to try a ts backroll but just can't seem to think of it while I'm out there. I've finally landed a few 3's too so at least I'm doing something new.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Sounds good to me Mike. Glad you got a few 3s going on too. I havent even tried them since Ive joined the invert club.

Hows that perfect pass doing? :-)