Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-11-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Hey guys just got a mac book pro. Man I love this computer, can't wait to start doing some editing. Any of you guys using one of these?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-12-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
i am..been using it since the week it came out...its great..super fast and no problems
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-13-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
Find yourself an old version of Final Cut Pro on ebay or somewhere and you can get the cross platform full version of Final Cut Studio for $200. Check the Apple online upgrade programs. With that you can do anything you'll ever need and it just runs smokin fast on the intel machines. My set up is a MBP 2.0 connected to an Apple 24" cinema display with my external storage connected via FW.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Rich, Are you using the FW400 slot or using FW800 via an express-card. I'm wondering because it's finally time to edit my skimboarding video and the last time around I had a problems with dropped frames via a firewire drive.

Edit-and I'm working in (Sony)HD this time around as well

(Message edited by CAskimmer on November 13, 2006)
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-13-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
My friend has final cut pro and I've been trying to use it a little, i don't want to spend the money until i can really use it,I've been looking into getting a tutorial because I'm completely new to it. Any of you have a good recomendation for a tutorial, that takes you from the basics up?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-14-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
Sean I'm using a Graid 500gig connected via Nitro Express FW800 card. I'm getting rock solid playback using the DVCPro HD codec, not sure about the HDV codecs though I hear they require more bandwidth then the Panasonic. I can play back single stream HD off the builtin HDD as well (5400 rpm) but it does get bumpy at times.

There are many good tutorials on FCP all over the web. I'd start here:

http://www.lafcpug.org
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
[start hijack]

rich, don't laugh...my girlfriend and i are considering getting a macbook. she wants a new laptop and i, well, i'm curious about macbooks. i'm gonna run vista on my current laptop, xp on my editing station, and mac os (whatever it is) AND xp on the mac. she would be using it for school (documents and spreadsheets), browsing and such, and i would use it for browsing and running a mortgage software. what would the absolute minimum i would need and how much would it run me? do they come pre-loaded w/ microsoft office? do any of 'em come with fcp?

thanks.

[/end hijack]
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
thanks Rich
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-14-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
It seems to me (unless you can just get a PC laptop way cheaper) that the new Intel Mac notebooks offer the best of both worlds, a fully funtional windows PC as well as a chance to try the OS X experience, just hold down the option key when you start up and tell it which OS to use. Other then maxing out the memory they come with all the ports etc that you need including ethernet and wireless/bluetooth. I haven't seen any bundles with FCP or Office at this point but they may be out there. I just bought 4 full version units of Mac office 2004 for work for $145 so SW wise it won't be too bad, everything else you need is normally bundled. Here's where I would check:

http://www.pcprices.net/

Check out the refurbs and put as much RAM as you can afford as OS X loves memory. Putting memory into the notebooks is usually pretty easy so I wouldn't buy the RAM from Apple.

Joe I always thought you'd be a big Mac fan if you ever had a chance to really give one a try.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
thanks rich.

and for the record, i'm not a non-fan. i actually think they're pretty cool. i just couldn't justify buying one. i never "needed" a mac.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I hate Macs! :-P Just kidding, but not really. I'm just a PC boy here. Just could never overcome the one button mouse in the early mac days! ha. :-)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-14-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm curious, what does a similar notebook like a sony cost compared to a Macbook or Macbook Pro?
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-16-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
You can get one cheaper at Dell Factory outlet on the dell site, that's where we buy ours for work. We get pretty good deals.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-16-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
what speed hard drive did you get in the mac book? I have the 120g and all i edit with is HD at the moment and i noticed its a little slow, but im curious how the 100g one works out.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-17-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Apple stopped offering the 7200 rpm drives as options with the new MBP models. It could be the 5400 rpm drives are fast enough given the faster overall nature of the new processor. I've got a 2.33 model coming, I'll give HD playback a try when I get it.

As far as comparable PC notebooks go I read the regular Macbooks are flying off the shelves because they are considered very competativly priced overall given their features.