Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
I know about 33% of the members here have blown out their knees, so I thought I would get an opinion from professionals.

Beginning of August I dislocated my knee on a straight w2w. There was some good pain, but I was off the crutches in a week. The Ortho I saw did tests at two appointments. He did physical tests on my knee, and said I had 2/3 signs of a miniscus tear, and had probably strained my mcl. Acl seemed fine.

After the second appointment he assigned physical therapy. At both appointments, I asked about an MRI. At the first appointment he said my knee was too swollen. At the second appointment he said he wanted 3 weeks of pt. I did pt for three weeks and could not gain full range of motion. In this time I started riding my mtn. bike and riding my 50.

On my third visit, I explained my frustration over lack of progress at pt. After a quick exam the Doc said we're going to scope your knee to take care of the miniscus. I asked about an MRI and he said there was no need.

I had to postpone the first surgery appointment due to a cold. Last Thurday I awoke from surgery to be greeted with the news I had ruptured my ACL as well. What went from 4-6 weeks recovery is now another surgery and 4-6 months recovery. I thought I was finally on the road to recovery only to have to start all over again. It pretty much blows my winter riding in FL and any snowboarding I had planned.

I have a followup to get stitches out on Wednesday. We'll also discuss the next surgery. Im pretty pissed he didnt do the MRI. I feel it gave me false hope and created the need for another surgery. A friend did the same thing on the same weekend, and he's already up and walking w/o a limp.

Im just wondering what those with ruptured ACLs have done. Hes talking of using a piece of another ligament to create a new acl. I know my friend used a cadaver. I know they are doing it via scope also I beleive.

Sorry for the long post, but I respect the opinions of this board. Im also looking for a little good news. As I said, I thought I had 4-6 weeks to 100%. Im also thinking of holding off to January and then bracing it and riding in Fl and doing some snowboarding.