Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    supernatural1            06-25-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
I am in the market for a slightly used wakeboard boat. I have narrowed it down to the X-star, super air nautique, and the tige v-drives. I would appreciate any input on pros and cons of each. I would also like to know which would throw the best "vert" wake without adding a lot of additional wait to the factory ballast or taps. Thanks for the help.
Old    supernatural1            06-25-2003, 7:43 AM Reply   
I meant weight sorry about the typo.
Old    stormrider            06-25-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
Three excellent choices. I'd go with the SAN.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-25-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
best vert wake huh a sanger v-210 wit a 1000lbs in it get my vote. and they are cheap. and yes i have ridin teh x and teh san so don't flame me
Old    barryb            06-25-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
From your list the best vert wake is the SAN closely followed by the X-star. On the SAN, more weight in back = more vert. More in front = a bigger ramp to land on.
I owned a 1999 Tige 21V and sold it due to maintenance issues. The wake was very good but not in the same league as the Xstar or SAN.

You want 1600lb in the Tige. No more, no less.

1000 lb in the Xstar or SAN and you're rocking pretty good. 1500 in either and it's like hitting a double-up with less weight.
Old    stormrider            06-25-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
Barry: that is one of the most concise and useable comparisons I've seen so I just printed it out for later use. Thanks. Confirms that I'm looking in the right direction looking at the SAN.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
You forgot the VLX, number one in my book unless onboard space is not an issue then get the SAN.
Old    swass            06-25-2003, 3:59 PM Reply   
OK, young Charles. Can I give you crap for your atrocious, unintelligible grammar instead? What language are you trying to converse in?
Old    helixthecat            06-25-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
LMAO
Old    supernatural1            06-26-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks, Barry I have been leaning towards the SAN but the I like the tower on the x star, very difficult decision. What kind of maintenance problems did you have with your Tige. See they are made in my home town so you can get some good deals from the factory there.
Old    damnation            06-26-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Alan, I think they neglected to mention the VLX b/c he is looking for a vert wake, otherwise, I would agree with you completely. However, with the wedge 25, the wake will become more vert shape, but not like the SAN. SAN has, by far, the most vert wake available.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
i have a 2002 x star and love it, but you can't go wrong with either the san or x star, is all about personal opinion, the boats look a lot diffrent, so it's which ever one you want
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
you want vert you need a narrow boat. most vert wake i have ever ridden behind was a Hydrodyne twin rig show ski boat. not very useable for wkaeboarding though. of your list I'd say the SAN fits the bill. X-star is a lot less vert, very comparable to wedged VLX IMO
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
V-210
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
all i know is the tige has wood in it & water and wood dont mix together too well
Old    xtigeman            06-26-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
X-Star in much more vert than a VLX ramp.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2003, 11:26 PM Reply   
william you might want to check out the warranty on the tige before you go spouting like your a boat designer/engineer, i think its like you get a lifetime warranty so if anything happens they fix it for free PLUS give you $10k, dont quote me on it-just check their website
Most very high dollar boats are still full of wood as a matter of fact, its how you use it on a boat that matters.
Old    supernatural1            06-27-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
Where exactly in the tige is the wood. On there website it did not say anything about it.
Old    supernatural1            06-27-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
Where exactly in the tige is the wood. On there website it did not say anything about it.
Old    barryb            06-27-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
There's plenty of tige bashing here and I wanted to stay out of it. But since you asked I'll give you a rundown of the problems I've had. These problems were mostly specific to the 1999 Tige 21V and might be fixed in newer boats or not exist in other models.

#1 : Steering cable. The design of the boat is such that the steering cable gets bathed in water all the time. It will need to be replaced every 9-12 months. You have to remove the fuel tank to replace it.

#2 : Motor pulleys. The design of the boat is such that when another boat's wake hits the back while you're sitting, water splashes in the back and runs over the pulley end of the engine. So the bearings rust and need replacing.

#3 : PerfectPass. The perfectpass motor mounts to the hoses on the pulley side of the engine. The same water that killed bearings also killed the perfectpass motor once a month or so. I eventually fabricated a custom mounting system for the PP motor elsewhere.

#4 : V-drive unit. For six months I had problems with the v-drive unit losing pressure and the warning light coming on. It broke every other time I took it out and went to the shop every other Saturday. This was partly a dealer/shop issue.

All three of these things combined to keep the boat in the shop all the time and that's not what I wanted. There were numerous other quality issues like cracking around the tower mounts, seats that would fly out while towing, vinyl ripping at the stitching, etc -- but they didn't keep me off the water and I would've lived with them.

To answer the wood question : Tige uses wood stringers. They call it something like "marine high pressure laminate stringers" which translates to wood. I think wood for stringers is superior functionally to the fiberglass/foam used in most boats, but... If the boat gets SOT (sunk on trailer) a couple of times, the stringers could start to rot around the motor mounts. Otherwise it's good for 30 years.

Good luck with your decision!
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
Well, Bob your wrong about the fact the "Most very high dollar boats are still full of wood as a matter of fact" is wrong there is only two from what I have heard from and Tige is one of them.
As far as the placement of the wood it is the BEAMS or the frame fo the boat under the floor.
Old    supernatural1            06-27-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
Jared, what is the other boat company that uses wood?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2003, 12:33 AM Reply   
Guess what Jared-your wrong, im not talking about wakeboard boats. I said "VERY HIGH DOLLAR" and wakeboard boats are not in that category unless they are triple digits and im pretty sure the new xstar is the highest and that aint even close.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2003, 12:36 AM Reply   
heres a quick example http://www.doralboat.com/en/360se.asp?imp=1
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2003, 12:41 AM Reply   
and one more http://www.carveryachts.com/handler2.cfm?file=why_warranty
Old    pjmicklos            06-30-2003, 2:26 AM Reply   
The wood stringers are XL greenwood. Fountain uses the same wood for their stringers. Like Fountain they are encapselated in fiberglass. By the way the wood is a laminate for strength. Tige has not had one case of rot in their history. I would not let the wood stringers affect your decision. I had steering cable problems on my CC and MC boats. My '93 CC had a hull that blistered. I would still buy one of those boats because they are high quality as is the Tige. Don't let one or two peoples experiences sway you much. These boats are all great. They just fill different needs.
Old    mconly            06-30-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
Lets just solve this quickly.

Tige' (French for pressboard) we all hate the french any way.

Now down to the other two.

Correct Craft, very good boat, however, drives terrible when loaded and is way to sensitive to weight side to side. (wake washes out easy)

MasterCraft Best ballast system, best wake, best driving, CLEAR WINNER!!!!
Old    supernatural1            07-02-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
Actually mconly actually pressboard in french is carton comprimer', but thanks for the input on the other two.