Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-21-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new wakeboard which will most likely be my last (at least until something completely out of this world break through in wakeboarding gets developed...). I don't want to talk about what board I currently have because I am not a fan, but let's just say it's a 2006 138 Hyperlite with continuous rocker. It's not terrible but overall is too heavy and allows for way to narrow a stance (at its widest).

- I have heard great things about the 2011 Ronix One - super light, poppy, and provides for a comfortable landing.
- I have also heard some great things about liquid force watson and watson hybrid(if i wanted to try something different).
- Sling shot boards have come out of no where with some great stuff too I hear...any ideas?

Does any one have any thoughts on those boards (or any other boards??) and what would be the best long term investment?

I am an intermediate-advanced rider but slowly moving away from the sport due to a lack of time. I can consistently do tantrums, back rolls, scarecrows, toe and heel 3's, raley's, bat wings, and working on whirly birds.

Unfortunately I also don't have the ability to demo anything because board shops around me are completely stupid. Really hoping for some good advice...right now I am leaning towards the Ronix one.

Cheers
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
If you're looking at the ronix one take a look at the viva, rode one last weekend, way more poppy than the one. My buddy just traded in his one for the viva a couple days ago due to it
Old     (Brian)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-21-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
And you may want to check out this thread on reasons not to by a 'one'

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788980
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-21-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thanks, I will definitely check out the Viva.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-21-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
I saw that thread about the One before making this one and understand it keeps you pretty stable to the water, but there were a few replies in that thread that said you get used to it. I appreciate the input non the less
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hyperlite Franchise, B-Side or Murray
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder86 View Post
Hyperlite Franchise, B-Side or Murray
Heard great things about the b-side form many people
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
Never tried any of Ronix stuff, but i hear good things about them all the time. great independent brand built by riders for riders
personally i prefer Slingshot. I love the flex. so fun to play with and slide and press the water. the landings feel softer to me too which is a huge plus. There is a reason that every board brand has adopted this "flex board" tech in one way or another into at least one board in their line-ups. BUT with this said, it is just a style preference, something similar to the choice of continuous or threestage. some prefer it, some don't. Also Slingshot boards are 100% USA made... also a preference thing in the end though.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-21-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Never tried any of Ronix stuff, but i hear good things about them all the time. great independent brand built by riders for riders
personally i prefer Slingshot. I love the flex. so fun to play with and slide and press the water. the landings feel softer to me too which is a huge plus. There is a reason that every board brand has adopted this "flex board" tech in one way or another into at least one board in their line-ups. BUT with this said, it is just a style preference, something similar to the choice of continuous or threestage. some prefer it, some don't. Also Slingshot boards are 100% USA made... also a preference thing in the end though.
Ha the USA factor doesn't mean much to me considering I live in Canada. Thanks for your input on flex boards. I agree that there is a reason most companies have at least 1 flexboard in their line up. What I am getting from this is that I really need to find a place to demo some of these boards...
Old    jdgreen1            07-21-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
I have ridden the Watson Hybrid. It had the softest landings of any board I have ridden. It is also the only "flex" board I have ridden.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-21-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgreen1 View Post
I have ridden the Watson Hybrid. It had the softest landings of any board I have ridden. It is also the only "flex" board I have ridden.
Just to make sure...this was behind a boat right not cable?? Anyone tried the Harley?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-22-2011, 1:20 AM Reply   
Ive ridden all the board you mentioned at some point, I would say go for the Watson Hybrid for a few reasons.

1. Its super tough and will last you forever
2. Soft landings and good pop
3. Its way more fun that a stiff board, but its stiffer than a slingshot (and better for it in my opinion)
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2011, 4:21 AM Reply   
shane
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Just to make sure...this was behind a boat right not cable?? Anyone tried the Harley?
I ride the Harley and I love it. The pop is absolutely sick and it feels pretty damn fast for a three-stage board. My favorite thing about it is that it's nice and loose: so fun for surface tricks and won't smoke you on sketchy landings!

That said, the Harley is super super stiff, so it's not much fun to press out and it wouldn't make a good cable board IMO. It's also probably not for you if you like a really tracky board. It has plenty of grip to hold the hardest railey edge you can throw at it, but it's not so grippy that it will set the edge for you and force you into a certain line.

Finally, I find the landings on it to be harsh. When I blast way out into the flats on a grabbed 180, which is easy to do on the Harley, the landing is like a grenade going off under my feet. It's not really that painful because I have good knees, but it's jarring and a bit hard to ride away from. I attribute it to the rocker line and the stiff Carbon-X construction. If you're knees are weak, you might wanna go for something a little less aggressive or maybe a nice flex board/hybrid.

Hope that helps.
Old     (ztFLA4life)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-22-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
I went from a 2009 One to a 2011 Watson Hybrid and it was a night and day difference. The One is a great board but i have so much more fun on the Watson with the flex and the landings are really soft. Its a really durable board too so i'm sure you'll be able to get your moneys worth. I really dont have any negative complaints about the Watson but i'm looking to get rid of mine and get on a slingshot.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-22-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztFLA4life View Post
I went from a 2009 One to a 2011 Watson Hybrid and it was a night and day difference. The One is a great board but i have so much more fun on the Watson with the flex and the landings are really soft. Its a really durable board too so i'm sure you'll be able to get your moneys worth. I really dont have any negative complaints about the Watson but i'm looking to get rid of mine and get on a slingshot.
Let me know when u decide to part with it if its the right size looking at the hybrid now
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-22-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
I would like to toss the O'brein Decade into the Mix. I have been on the Decade for 2 season and I think its the beez kneez. Just incrediable. Fast, predictable, soft landings, with a huge pop.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
What about the Paradigm? I've heard great things about it and I'd really like to try it when I'm ready for my next board.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-26-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input everyone. Through this and some additional research I have really narrowed down my selection. I think I will be staying away from the Ronix One as I heard lots about the 'stickyness' to the water and I definitely need something that offers up a little free riding.

After some research, I'm liking the following:
Hyperlite - B-side - Heard nothing but good things and the BioLite tech sounds attractive
Ronix Viva - Heard that this board rides like the One minus that 'stickyness' factor
Ronix Ibex - I have, again, heard very good things - would love to hear more from people that have actually ridden this board.
LiquidForce Watson - Still don't know much about this board..is it any good? better than the rest? if so why?

I understand that any board is really going to depend on personal riding style so the only thing I can offer up is that I ride similarly to Shaun Murray. Not in skill level but in that he likes to mix it up, land on the wake or out in the flats, he likes to switch up his trick repertoire, and mostly, he want's a board that can hold a cut but likes being able to come out of that and through a sexy looking butter (but I do not want a Murray board, already had 2 and am over them - even though the 2011 got rid of the continuous rocker, still don't want it...). That's how I ride and based on that - what board is going to allow me to do that?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-26-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
I've heard the Viva is damn sticky, but like the One, it really depends on which fins you use.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-26-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
realllllyyy? I heard the opposite. Damn - that's the problem with getting opinions and not just demo'ing the board. Everyone's riding style is so different so one person might feel like a board rides one way and another might not think the same. CRAZY.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
Ive ridden all the board you mentioned at some point, I would say go for the Watson Hybrid for a few reasons.

1. Its super tough and will last you forever
2. Soft landings and good pop
3. Its way more fun that a stiff board, but its stiffer than a slingshot (and better for it in my opinion)
I just picked one up to demo, looking forward to trying it. How's it ride? is it loose on the water and how does it lock on edge?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I just picked one up to demo, looking forward to trying it. How's it ride? is it loose on the water and how does it lock on edge?
Let us know how that watson hybrid works out. Im a toss up right now between that, Harley Grind and the B-side (but dont want the system bindings)
Old     (FrankJohnson)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-27-2011, 1:10 AM Reply   
go the viva
such a sick board
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
I too ride the Viva, love it.... but I've always ridden the Chad Sharpe Models.... quick acceleration
Old    jdgreen1            07-27-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Yeah, it was behind a boat.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
Viva or B-Side? Heard they are both sick? Which is lighter?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Just road the b-side last night. Rides very similar to the viva. Holds it's speed really well, and pops a ton. The viva is lighter though
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just road the b-side last night. Rides very similar to the viva. Holds it's speed really well, and pops a ton. The viva is lighter though
And the Viva's Poppyness? Which of the 2 boards did you prefer and would recommend?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
I'm not too sure yet, need a couple more sets on each. the viva popped more, but I also had more ballast in and better water when I rode it. The b-side felt really close to the viva. The B-side is looser on the water when you take out the middle fins. The viva is more locked in from what I could tell, but it's very easy to lock on edge.
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not too sure yet, need a couple more sets on each. the viva popped more, but I also had more ballast in and better water when I rode it. The b-side felt really close to the viva. The B-side is looser on the water when you take out the middle fins. The viva is more locked in from what I could tell, but it's very easy to lock on edge.
I have heard that - I guess the quad Fins on the Viva give it that more locked in feeling vs. the bi fin on the B-side gives it a looser ride as you say. I guess I can't go wrong with either board really, it just depends on what graphic I like better and if I want quad or bi fin.

Thanks man! Let me know if you do any more sets and what your preference is.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
I plan on getting some bside sets in this weekend, also trying the LF watson hybrid. I'm really digging the continuious rocker
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
I already have a contiuous rocker board - 2006 hyperlite murray 138. It's not bad but starting to feel clunky hence why I am picking something new up.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
I cam e form a 10' lyman, but a SS recoil before that.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfoot View Post
I already have a contiuous rocker board - 2006 hyperlite murray 138. It's not bad but starting to feel clunky hence why I am picking something new up.
If you like your older Murray you should just go demo or even just buy a 2010 or 2011 Murray. You will love the board! I have tried a bunch of different boards (Viva, Phoenix, SS Response, Marius Lyman etc) and nothing comes close.

I love this thing! It's fast but still had a ton of pop. It's loose when it needs to be but gives you great drive when you lay it on edge. I can't say enough about this board. Give it a go!
Old     (hyperfoot)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
I am probably going to pick up the Viva seeing as no shops around me are currently carrying the B-side. I'll ride it for the week and if it is too sticky, I will bring it back and trade it in and order the b Side.
YUP
Old     (neverwinter)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-31-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
humanoid oracle all the way. I know 2 people that bought watsons and after riding my oracle went straight back to the shop and bought the humanoid.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
I think due to my size neither the orcale nor the watson hybrid had the pop the stiffer boards did. Out of the two I definately liked the oracle much better. It maintained it's speed much better than the watson did.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-01-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
i ride a 2011 S4. Love it.
Old     (c_fizz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-06-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
i ride the s4 with the soven bindings. i love it as well. the board is super fast and the bindings are amazing
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-06-2011, 11:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_fizz View Post
i ride the s4 with the soven bindings. i love it as well. the board is super fast and the bindings are amazing
+1.

My exact setup as well.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-08-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
I ended up wiht e Viva, and put the .8 sliders on. WIht those fins the board is super loose on the water. Love the board so far, very fast and poppy, and without its one draw back of being sticky on the water