Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
In lew of recent posts I have read, I am gonna try to answer a familiar question.

Why does wakeboarding equipment(boards and bindings) cost so much?

Mostly because of warranty issues. Most companies will replace the broken product within a year of purchase. So in essence, they have to count on you actually getting 2 boards or pairs of bindings for the price of 1 because their warranties are so good, most of the time. Many people will never break their bindings or board, but alot of people will. WB companies compensate for their "losses" and bump prices a little.

Another thing, is that the equipment costs more to produce than you actually think. Factor in machining costs, advertising, labor, and shipping, and you would are already at a pretty penny. Factor in that vendor/board shop also want to make an additional 20-30% and you are starting to see where some of these prices could be justified.

Another factor is that people who manage to do alot of boating, USUALLY are not destitute and are willing to pay the high prices.

I'm not justifying prices, just legitimizing them or trying to.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-09-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Sounds like a good explanation to me.
Old    vern            09-09-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
You forgot one main thing. Research and Development. But a solid explanation.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-09-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
Supply and demand. Plain and simple.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
It really isn't any other worse than the snowboarding industry. If you think about it the price of a snowboard, bindings and boots runs about the same if not more than a wakeboard setup. The only difference with wakeboarding is you either have to have a boat or know someone that has a boat.
Old    r_dub            09-09-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
I agree Scott. Plus with snowboarding, you got to factor in, pants, jacket, gloves, googles, hat, underwear/socks, and ridiculously priced lift tickets. Hell, if I quit snowboarding, I might be able to afford a new boat.
Skating seems to be the only affordable board sport. And it's the only one that dont have to getup early to do. Well, affordable until you start factoring in hospital bills from smacking the concrete.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Very true. One other reason for higher costs on boards is mistakes in the manufacturing of the boards. The end result is a ton of 2nd and 3rd quality boards. And then boards that are not even 3rd quality. But then that helps us get our wakeboard bench seats for pretty cheap.

Jerrod
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-09-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I doubt the wakeboarding industry does anything above and beyond any other industry. Almost all companies carry warranties and have to factor in resale and machining costs. However the wakeboarding industry knows they can crap in a bag and stamp "Hyperlite"(just an example) on it and sell it to most wakeboarders.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
LOL
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-09-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yea, but how much money do companies make by selling the same board for 3-5 years in a row. For example the trip, motive, and many others. They are using the same molds and same technology.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-09-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
Does anyone understand the cost of doing business, the crap the state and gov. make you do is insane........and I'm sure they all ( wake company's ) insane product liability insurance. Design , R & D, Production.......actually the stuff seems cheap to me. Wakeboarding is a tiny fish in a big pond.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
alot. less overhead. they dont have to make new molds and deal with a break-in period.

if they continue the line, that usually means that it was successful. why not put new graphics on a successful mold year after year? Look at the Era/Premier/Gonzales.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Eric, my dog has produced a bunch of wakeboards in the back yard. You are welcome to them for free. You will have to supply your own Hyperlite (just an example) stamp.

Leo, I hope they keep selling the Motive for 5 more years.
Old    edward            09-09-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
skateboarding isn't all that cheap if you think about it though, cheaper than wakeboarding and snowboarding when boats and lift tickets are added in but still skate equiptment wears out alot faster. 50 bucks every month or month and a half for a deck. i started skatign blanks for $20 (around $30 wiht grip and shipping) goin through about 9 a year is $450 for pro models or $270 for blanks and with that you could buy a new wakeboard every year and thats not even adding $30 for wheels every 4 months or so, bearings for $15-45 every 6 to a year, trucks for $50 every year or so. so its still expensive just the costs are smaller and spread out more because how often do you buy a new wakeboard?(of course if you hit sliders then boards probably don't last to long).

also john you forgot the cost of picking up, shipping and handling.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-09-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
No thanks John. I have a couple "hyperlite" machines of my own. But if you get tired of yours you can always borrow mine.

JT, All companies are in that boat, not just wakeboard co's. They're not unique by any means.
Old     (drewsmug)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
why don't the stores screw the warranty. The poor example upstate said they have to factor in giving two boards or bindings away to each consumer. I doubt the cost is doubled, but either way if the price is that much cheaper, if your board/bindings do break you could still afford to buy another. also if the boards cost less more people can afford them increasing sells, increasing profits.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Its not a poor example and its the truth. I'm not saying that warrenties double the price, I'm saying it is figured in though.

(Good) Warranties keep owners happy! I destroyed a pair of Zues's the 2nd time I rode a pair. 5 business days later, I had a new pair at my door. That's why they cost $350ish.

Believe me if they cost less and didnt have a warrenty, I probably NOT have gotten another pair of Zeus. I was pretty pissed when they broke. They ARE great bindings though.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-09-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
what sucks is when they dont back the warranty and you have no replacement. Then the $100 handle is worth nothing.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-09-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
ohh yea, i think you guys forgot to mention sponsorships. The bigger named guys are gonna cost the company more in sponsorship therefore higher priced boards. Hyperlite has one of the most videographed and photographed team out there. Everyone knows Parks, Harf, Webb, and Byerly even if they dont follow the sport all that much. People barely hear of the guys riding for double up, joyride, and blindside. That is why hyperlite boards cost more then the average board when hyperlite produces the same quality/performance equipment.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-10-2004, 10:14 PM Reply   
There is clearly good money in overpriced fashion that the consumer replaces every year. Surfwear, shoes, sunglasses etc. Not too many boardshort companies getting sued over product liability or sunglass makers that will give warranty on the $100 pair that you stepped on. The wakeboard business is so small that it is really not even an "industry" and the people working in it are at some level usually doing it for the love of the sport. If they wanted to get rich there are plenty of better ways to do that. There have been plenty of faces and brands come and go in the short history of the wakeboard business.