Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-07-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Okay, I searched a bit but didnt find much on this topic.

My dilemma: Tore my ACL last summer blaming it on my LF Ultra bindings being too easy to fall out of.

My solution: Bought a pair of 04 Byerly XL bindings mainly because I tried out a friends 04 Parks L bindings last year and felt like my toes were hanging off the end.

Well, tried out my Byerly's Monday and they were too big. Im trying to decide whether to go through the painful experience of taking them apart to tighten them or try to find some larges. Any opinions out there.

Disclaimer: Please do not make this thread a LF vs. HL discussion. I would prefer opinions from those who are riding Byerlys but welcome anyone who has any of the Pro model bindings.

Thanks in advance for all your help! Cant wait till the water temp gets a little warmer here in Iowa!
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
I have size 11 feet and ride an 04 Byerly size L. They fit my feet perfectly. If you can tighten up your XL quite a bit, you could try that. Otherwise I'd suggest trying a size L, because nobody loose bindings.
Old    clubjoeskier            04-07-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
04 Byerly L here too...Sz 11 feeters. Good fit...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
I'd say size L also. I have a 10.5 foot and go for a Medium/Large in Hyperlite (medium overlay, large footbed). The XL's have always been huge on me.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-07-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
You guys are confirming what I feared. Guess Ill start shopping for some larges. Thanks for the feedback.

Doh!
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
I have size 11 feet and Byerly XL's, and would recomend L's, the Byerly's seem to run a little larger than my last set of HL 's which I thought the XL fit great.
Old    clubjoeskier            04-07-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
04 Lg on the ads for 190, FYI
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-07-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
I have a 10.5 foot, 04 Byerlys, size large. XL is too big for an 11 for the most part.
Old    edward            04-07-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
i got 11s and i'm riding large 04 parks and they're snug but not tight and not quite to the end but close. but whatever you like. i like my bindings so that i'm not gonna come out unless its a hard fall such as a faceplant. other than that i think its probably safer overall if i don't come out, maybe a little more smack on the water but at least i'm not gonna only have one pop out. i was riding my dads board for a little while i was between boards and he has HO "standards" but they really didn't tighten up alot and while i was learnin 3's when i would fall only one foot would pop out sometimes. it never hurt luckily but i really wanted to get my new setup so that it wouldn't happen. actually i like the strap on the parks so i can tighten em up and won't pop out or have any heellift on anything.

(Message edited by edward on April 07, 2005)
Old    invertigo1            04-07-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
size 11 foot Lg 04 Byerlys
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
04 temets in large - size 11 foot

Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-08-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
SIze eleven- Had ML and were way too small. Now i Have Large and they fit fine, although I probably cannot tighten the overlays much.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
14's here and on XXl Parks - Sickest bindings ever!
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-10-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
I have size 11 feet also, and find that the hyperlite bindings at LG fit better than any other manufacturer. I have CWB Zues on a Gator board, and 04 Parks on a CWB transcend. The CWB are more adjustible, but the Parks are more comfortable.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-10-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
I can't believe you're blaming your Ultras for your torn ACL. What size Ultras did you have?
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-10-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
05 parks XL, size 10.5 to 11 (depending on shoe). I would never go to a large! The parks are great. I don't come out of them - even when maybe I should!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-11-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
I had size XL Ultras but I had taken them apart and tightened them about all the way. They fit really well and were comfortable but I would fall out of one or both every so often. I shouldnt say I blame the Ultras specifically but maybe the fact that I had to use lube to get into them and then due to the lube, they were easier to fall out of. The plates on my Ultras started to bend up on th heels too. I noticed with the Bylerlys, I could get into them without lube (maybe because they are too big for me :-) and then tighten up the Boa and they didnt feel like they were going anywhere. I guess I am assuming the boa system will help with falling out of the binding. The reason I tore my ACL was because one binding came off and the board snapped against my other knee. So, I aplogize to those LF junkies out there. I just have never been completely happy with LF gear.

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up buying a pair of L Temets since I have read in many places that the Byerlys boa dial breaks off somewhat easily and I have a friend who had byerlys and switched to Temets and swears they are better. All a matter of opinion I suppose.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
You should always use lube to get into your boots even if you don't have to. The soap allows your foot to position itself right where it should be. If you wash it out then it will not stay in there & it will not contribute to falling out. The bindings weren't your problem, unless they were too big. Good luck in your search, please use soap or you will rip your boots to shreds.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-11-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Use a binding lube that rinses away. That's what why I use Newt Juice. I have Ultras and I use binding lube to put them on. As soon as I hit the water it rinses away clean, and then getting them to release and come off takes some technique. I have a size 10 and wear Larges.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-11-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
I'll have to look into that. I was just using a soap/water mix. Obviously takes a while to rinse away and is quite slippery.

So I officially blame soap for my injury ;)
Im just buying new bindings because Im rich and I want to :-) hehe
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-11-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Did i miss something? Don't the 05 Temet's have BOA as well?
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-12-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
Yes they do but the boa dial is in the front and not the back and supposedly that protects it more from breaking (ie smacking it on the platform, wipeouts, etc.) I dont know this for fact, just what I have gathered from the forums.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
I've always been a fan of a light gel shaving cream for lube if and when I ever have needed it. It will rinse away super quick and clean, and it doesn't cost as much as actual binding lube. Plus it usually smells good too.