Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XlYmT_nuqPI&feature=related

They call it a crow 7 but i think it's an ole 1080 for sure
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
nah, its a crow 7. Look at his first rotation and its exactly how a method crow should look like.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
look at the second one he does
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-26-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Yup, its all about that handle pass brotha'
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
he is not inverted over the board and he is clearly is ole'ing...check it
Upload
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
and this one which was right before that...his handle position is the accepted "ole" and in the first picture is in the exact position he would be in if he were passing the handle on a toe off 5Upload
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-26-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
All crows are like that. Regular scarecrows and crow mobes. Its all over the head "oleish" until you get to the point where you have to pass the handle. Most land crow mobes sort of wrapped. Once you take it past 3, you have to pass the handle. Watch crow 5's. Soven clearly does the crow mobe 5, then does the extra 180 landing wrapped. Its a crow 7.

If it was an "ole 1080" there would be no handle pass involved at at all. Leave the trick inventions and what they call them up to the pros.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
his head is always above the board..i give Phillip trick of the year with this Hammer right here. Ole 10 FTW!!!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
A double ole to blind landing is a big johnson
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Not that I know what it's like to do a crow 7, but take a look at the way people (who grab it) do crow 5's. They don't go as inverted as they would for a regular crow. Hell, there's still a lot of people who do crow mobes "out the back" as they say, which is not *as* inverted as doing one straight up and down.

Under the "he's not inverted enough" logic, I guess Tino Santori has never done a crow 5, and has been doing "ole 9's" for years b/c he goes less inverted than Soven on his crow 7.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
phillip called this one (or one of the two attempts in the video) an ole' 10. so i guess its an ole 10. unless you wanna argue with phillip. and i dont feel like it right now.

ole 10.
over.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-26-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
From wakeboarder.com's Wakeboarding Glossary:

Ole': When the rider does a spin and instead of passing the handle just lifts the handle over their head.

He passed the handle. It's not an ole'
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
ah man, we need another thread to beat this dead horse?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
people these days see a guy spin fast and call it a 10 lol
if you watch it and click the pause real quick itll only jump half spins and you can see its only a 7
dont let the fast spin fool ya
Thread over...............
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
again, are we watching the same video here? i dont even know why i care...the front roll aspect of the crow 7 is done out the back and has been likened to an offaxis rotation with an ole'...and if you add that to the 720 rotation he spins afterwards, you have an ole' 10. and again, for clarity and people who don't read/comprehend so well...SOVEN (ya know, the guy in the video) has called atleast one of these an ole 10.
don't let the big words fool ya
Thread over...........
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-26-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
What j-rod said.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
its an ole'. and then he passes the handle. try to wrap your head around that, no pun intended. many ole' spins involve a handle pass towards the end of the trick, how can ppl. be so confused? aren't we all watching the same video?? if both sovens and everyone in the boat that day say it is an ole 10, then thats what it is. all "we" have to do is sit back and be amazed. apparently he did two new tricks that day..and ole 10 and a crow 7.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
I don't know if I'm allowed to post now with the thread being over and all, but here goes.

is this what you're referring to derek?

"....One of them turned out looking alot like an ole 10 but the first and second ones were legit crow 7s. I will check this post again after the video is posted hope you all enjoy it.......more to come crow 7 is just 1 down on the list."

-quoted directly from Phil Soven's post in another thread.

Speaking of reading comprehension - He likened one of the crow 7's he did to "looking alot like an ole 10". That doesn't mean he's calling it an ole 10. If someone says a corvette driving by looks a lot like a Ferarri, I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it a Ferarri.

Now if there is another thread, or something on the front page I've missed where he "has called atleast one of these an ole 10." please let me know about it.

Like I said previously - based on your assumption, all the publications/contest announcers have been wrong the last 5 years calling Tino's crow 5 a crow 5 instead of an "Ole 9" - Damn, what morons we must have in the industry!
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
focker,
ya, there is a vid , maybe on you tube or something, and i think it was shot at a contest a cpl. days after he threw down, and he does refer to one as an ole' 10...i agree with you 100% about Tinos' style of riding..his are more like an ole' 9 than a crow 5..just his style of doing that trick...
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's not really a big deal.. It used to annoy me though how you'd see some, even pro riders, do (what I considered) a mute crow mobe and call it an ole 7. I guess my line of thinking has kind of been - if you're going to call something ole it needs to be pretty legitimate in that your board should not be up to the same height as your head, etc.

Probably the only reason I posted to this was b/c most folks for years who've been grabbing melan on their crow 5's don't go super inverted and when Soven does the same for the 7 it suddenly becomes ole.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
soven should just say... "ALRIGHT ITS AN OLE 10!!! BUT I'M NICKNAMING IT A CROW 7!!!" (they are to some extent pretty much the same thing)

i wonder if that would make people happy? :-)
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
crow 7

if he wants to do an ole 10, that board should stay on axis
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Ryan, from on O.G. like yourself, thats a pretty misleading quote...i don't remember the last time i saw an ole' spin done on axis...i like flat spins as much as the next guy, but i would have to disagree with your comment...go check Harfs first 1080, he is as off axis as Soven is midway through his crow7/ole 10...just something to ponder
Old     (poodle)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
on my opinion there is no such thing as an ole, and the reason is an "ole" is just an out the back crow or roll2rev if you were to do it completly on axis like murry then its an ole but other than that i dont think it cant legitly be called an ole still a sick trick tho!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-26-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
im pretty sure that we all learned how to count in pre-school there is only 2 spins there... 2 x 360 = 720... that is not near 10... 2 cents... POSTED!!!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
You can call it what you like. Reminds me of the Frantrum people would claim as an s-bend. Yes it's close but not the same thing.

Coming from someone that unfortunately was around when tricks had definitions and point values, it's a crow 7.

Off axis has really blurred the line between spins and flips. When does a scarecrow become an ole 5. I've seen Watson do legit ole 5's and 7's.

Unless there's another video I haven't seen, the trick I saw Soven do, with out hesitation was a crow 7.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2008, 1:14 AM Reply   
I've got to second what was said about the presence in recent years of off-axis spins and how it can skew the line between what's off-axis and what's ole. Since it can get a little gray, I've always taken on the view that if it's going to be called ole, it better not be very off axis at all so that it can easily be distinguished as being ole, and not confused with a 'less inverted' invert.

I've just seen a lot of guys calling melan crows "melan ole 5's". I guess it sounds a little cooler since there are probably many more ppl doing melan crows rather than legitimate melan ole 5's.

(Message edited by focker on June 27, 2008)
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2008, 1:15 AM Reply   
woops!

(Message edited by focker on June 27, 2008)
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2008, 2:57 AM Reply   
that is y this thread started..and y you think its an "ole 1080".. ur 13.. sorry man.. now i feel bad for being so blunt in my post... maybe next time ill check the profile first..my apologies
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-27-2008, 3:39 AM Reply   
this already has been argued to death here: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/584629.html
Old     (ron1xone)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
I say a sloppy, un-stylish crow 7.
Oh and Ryan P, learn to count. One thousand eighty degrees of rotation. Any way you want to put it..
A) crow 7. first 360 coming from the front roll next 720 coming from him spinning.
B) ole 1080. all from him spinning

Don't you feel dumb after calling a 13 year old out and yyou can't count.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
there is only 2 complete spins there.. this is the dumbest thread ever.. people arguing over an ole 1080 or a crow 7.. it may not b crow.. it may b crow.. .. but it for sure is only a 7.. philip got on and said him self "it may LOOK like an ole 10.. but its a crow 7"
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
I know this trick has been picked apart a lot, but isn't it actually a skeezer 7? looks switch to me.

Soven does a lot of switch riding but I assume he does the whirly dick regular heelside [left side of the wake]. [http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXAvfrIbBpE]
Old     (ron1xone)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Ryan, you need to learn to count. pause the video every 180. Any invert is a 360 degree rotation. no arguing it. and since he never really got inverted on his front roll, its making it look like his frontroll is a 3. which would explain people arguing why its a 10.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
its a crow 7 for sure! he did it switch and its still a crow 7. did you guys see the handlepass? its a crow 7