Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       12-28-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if it's ok to tow with the cover on. I have an o4 X2 with the cover that has the strape running underneath the rub rail! would it be ok to tow with it on or would it rub the boat to bad! I have always towed with it off, but would like to keep the inside cleaner
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-28-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I have never done it and the people that did said it put fine scratches in the gelcoat. If it is a dark color, I would imagine it would look bad.
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-29-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
never ever ever tow with that thing on or you will be waxing for days.. i made this mistake
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
That and it will put some serious wear on the cover where ever it touches sharper edges even if they are reinforced.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-29-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
I tow with my cover on all the time... 6 hours out to the desert, 6 hours back, and I don't drive slowly! I've never had a single issue. I can't imagine driving through the dusty desert without a cover on the boat. That would be crazy.

I will say this though, my cover was custom made for the boat and for towing.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
If you have to tow with the cover on, take some of that blue painters tape and apply it below the rub rail where the cover will touch.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-30-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
There are covers built well enough to tow at high speeds (Rankin, for one). Towing with a cover that flaps, and doesn't have reinforced wear areas with soft backing, is bad for the cover and bad for the boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-30-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
I dont have an MC, but just wanted to share my experience with covers and towing.

My prev I/O factory cover frayed on the first trip I towed. Couldn't see the back of the cover and didn't know it. 2.5 hours later, I discovered my shredded cover.

When we chose the Tige, I made sure the cover was intended to be towed with. It's stated on the cover's tag, and verified with Tige. we have towed on 2 long trips of 6hrs round trip, and have had NO adverse effects with the boat or cover.

So, my point, if the manufacturer says the cover is designed to tow, then give it a shot and then give the boat and cover a good once over. If the cover is not intended for this, dont risk it for the safe of cover and boat.

May be worth the investment to have a custom cover made if you intend to take trips and want to keep it covered while en route
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-30-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Shawn, you don't need painter's tape on the rub rail. You just need a cover that's made for towing.

TigeMike, I shredded one the same way on my Malibu. Custom covers are the way to go.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Tim- The cover I have for my boat is a towable cover. The problem with it is my boat is all black so it leaves rub marks everywhere.Took me 6hrs. last time to buff em out. So thats why I use the tape.I only use the cover if needed for long trips.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-30-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
If you own a Mastercraft, look at Commercial Sewing for a towable boat cover. They are expensive but worth it.
Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-31-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
I agree with Ryan,
My $.02
I have an 06' MC with a Commercial Sewing towable cover and always use it. I've never had any problems towing with it. Their covers use a ratchet style tie down system and have vents so when you are towing, the cover sucks down to the boat. However, as you can read above, there are many who do not recommend towing with a cover.
These forums are a great way to get opinions from people who actually care about there equipment. If you decide to tow with a cover on, just watch the areas that the cover come into contact with the gel coat. If it starts to scratch or wear, don't two with it.
P.S. I had a different issue with the Commercial Sewing Towable cover and they where very professional and prompt in remedying the issue. Top Notch Company.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       01-02-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I have a custom cover that is supposedly towable. It's well re-inforced and can be tightened down nice and tight. When towing, the cover does not flap in any way, but I've found that it "poofs" out pretty badly in the open area behind the top of the windshield. I've never really thought of it before, but maybe a vent as y49sides described would alleviate this problem and make the cover suck down instead of poof out. I've avoided towing with the cover because I'm worried the poofing effect is putting enough strain on the cover to eventually tear it. Other than the poofing, the cover would tow perfectly.

Anyone else have any experience with vents? Where are they typically located? How many? I'll have to take a look around for examples from that Commercial Sewing company.

Danny

(Message edited by wakerider42 on January 02, 2008)

(Message edited by wakerider42 on January 02, 2008)
Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
My dealer sells the Commercial Sewing Boat Cover with their boats. They are all made to fit the model of boat. (X-2, X-15, X-30, etc.) with or without tower. I've only seen them in black and they say Mastercraft on top at the windshield. (2) vents.(1 on either side)
www.commercialsewing.com (for the cover)
www.commercialsewing.com/vacuhold.html (info on the vents)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-02-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
I don't see that much of an advantage of towing with a cover, but then again I'm not rolling through windy grimy deserts. Besides it's nice to be able to get into your boat on gas stops, picking up people, etc.