Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
I just picked up my new brace and I am curious who is running an extension stop, the amount of stop (10 degrees, etc.), or not using the stops and why? My brace fitter was against their use becuase "they limit the natural ROM". No other good explanation than that from her.

Looking for other's opinions and why?

Thanks
Old     (sancho)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-08-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
if you use them there is a good posiblity of breaking a femur if you extend to fast and hit the stops at a high speed, but i use them, to stop hyperextention
Old     (kaben)      Join Date: Apr 2001 Location: Sacramento, CA       05-08-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
I used them when I started riding because it actually hurt to straighten my knee all the way. I was going to switch them out, but I never have. If it doesn’t hurt with your knee fully extended I would just leave it alone. I only have experience with CTI2.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-08-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
i use the biggest stops on mine (can't remember how many degrees - i put it in a while ago). the main reason is because i re-tore my graft when i first started back riding after surgery - not badly, but enough to give me a scare. i was wearing my cti2 - with no extension stops.
since putting the stops in they've saved me a number of times when i would have landed straight legged (without meaning to of course!)
it sux when i ride cable because it makes me walk like a cripple!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-09-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
matt- why do you have the brace? if it is an mcl or acl problem you probably would not benefit from the extension stops.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
limiting your natural ROM would be a problem if you were running around or something, but perhaps your brace fitter didn't understand wakeboarding that well?
for us, keeping knees bent is a good thing, and because your feet are fixed, having the extension stops in shouldn't be a problem because they will only really alter your gait if you're walking or running (as i said above - it basically forces you to limp). if you're just using it on the water then i really think it's a good thing to have the stops in.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-09-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
I only limit mine in extension and its at the minimum -5 degrees
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
I use -5 degrees on the cti2 brace, and 0 degrees on the DonJoy. It keeps from going past full extension on the knee. In theory, it is supposed to help with hyperextension. Like jay said, it wont help with the lateral stability much if at all.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
can someone define "ROM"?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-10-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Range Of Motion