Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
over on Sportsshooter:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=801

I like the Ronix Boardroom shot and the Lensbaby one.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-07-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Very Niiiiice

I really dig the one wit sharpe and the soft boxes.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
I was checking those out too Rich. The Lens baby shot is great ! I'm guessing that it would be tough to nail a action shot with that lens.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I agree Walt, I wonder how many shots it took to get that one?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
I'll see if I can find out.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
I've heard they're tough to use. I own a tilt-shift lens and it's tough to get it right with all the time in the world off a pod.
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Sick shots as usual. You know Garrett is HARD AT WORK in Tahiti right now. What a tough job.

My Lensbaby is hard to nail the focus on if you shoot up close with the 2.0 aperture disc in it. If you stick the f5.6 or f8 disc in it's not so bad. That said, I haven't had a chance to use it for boarding yet.
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
Hey guys, glad you like the shot. Shooting action with a Lensbaby is really hit or miss. The "sweet spot" of a Lensbaby (area in focus) changes quite a bit as you change your f-stops. At f2.8 it is really small, but it gets bigger as your F number increases. For this shot I think I was using f8, which I do for a lot of action stuff I try with a Lensbaby.

Basically to shoot this shot of Chad I just had to put him in the part of the frame I wanted, bend the lens to get him in focus in that part of the frame, then pan with him as he cut into the wake and went airborne (and hope I could keep the lens bent at that exact spot the whole time). It definitely requires a little luck. I think I shot 20 or so frames from the chase boat with the Lensbaby and only two came out sharp. Fortunately this one with some good action and lighting was one of them.

Thanks again for the compliments on the shots, I really appreciate them.
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
have you guys seen the new lens baby where you can lock it into position? What if you locked it so the part of the frame you want sharp is sharp then all you have to do is put the rider in that part of the frame?

btw sweeeeeet pics garret!!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   

quote:

You know Garrett is HARD AT WORK in Tahiti right now

bah! I'll bet the only thing he's hard at work doing is trying to take pictures that do Tahiti proper justice!

ha!