Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Everything was going great. The water looked like this.

My five year old boys wanted to learn to wakeboard, so I put on this.

Then, I noticed this.

And this.

Ever try to find an aluminum welder on Memorial day weekend? Not fun.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-28-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
You don't need that boom or the tower to teach your kid to wakeboard. Get him behind the boat 20 or 30 feet away and tell him what to do when coming up. Then, just quickly pull the rope into the boat with your hands. He will get the feel of it and after a few times of doing this will probably get up on the first try using the boat. Here is my little grom back in the day at 5 years old.
Attached Images

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanolinsky View Post
You don't need that boom or the tower to teach your kid to wakeboard. Get him behind the boat 20 or 30 feet away and tell him what to do when coming up. Then, just quickly pull the rope into the boat with your hands. He will get the feel of it and after a few times of doing this will probably get up on the first try using the boat. Here is my little grom back in the day at 5 years old.
That's what I'm going to do next time. Its just that I've had the boom in my basement for 2 years (it was a gift) and finally had an excuse to try it out . . . .
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-28-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
That sucks about the tower. I like how you told the story with pictures! The good thing is it can be fixed fairly easily by the right guy with the right tools.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-28-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
Yeah, I guess the post is about the tower breaking which would suck. I didn't mean to take away from that fact. I just hope you got out there and enjoyed the weekend the best that you could!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-28-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
It was going to happen... I'm glad no one received any injuries.. The towers are designed for fore/aft loads.. Not side loads like that barefoot pole would impose on lt..

If it gave way while you were pulling, it would have taken out the driver..... Lucky Bro..
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
Are you docked with no fenders against a wooden dock in that second pic?
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Are you docked with no fenders against a wooden dock in that second pic?
Ha! You guys don't miss anything! It's not as bad as it looks though. This is probably the least used rideable public waterway in New Jersey. Even on Memorial Day weekend, only 5 or 10 boats will go by this marina all day. It's really kinda incredible, considering that its only 20 minutes away from my place in center city Philly. The water is brown,the scenery is ugly, the banks smell of rotten vegetation (or, at least I tell myself that it's rotten vegetation . . . ), the tides are extreme, and you have to know where the sandbars are at low tide, but it's an incredible riding spot - smooth, decent wind protection, and 15 to 20 feet deep in the channel.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Ha! You guys don't miss anything! It's not as bad as it looks though. This is probably the least used rideable public waterway in New Jersey. Even on Memorial Day weekend, only 5 or 10 boats will go by this marina all day. It's really kinda incredible, considering that its only 20 minutes away from my place in center city Philly. The water is brown,the scenery is ugly, the banks smell of rotten vegetation (or, at least I tell myself that it's rotten vegetation . . . ), the tides are extreme, and you have to know where the sandbars are at low tide, but it's an incredible riding spot - smooth, decent wind protection, and 15 to 20 feet deep in the channel.

I know this place well! Spent many days riding with JB there. I don't miss the tide BS though.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
I know this place well! Spent many days riding with JB there. I don't miss the tide BS though.
JB and I ride together 2 or 3 days a week. You should come out with us sometime.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
JB and I ride together 2 or 3 days a week. You should come out with us sometime.

I moved to South Carolina, no more NJ for me.

Tell him Justin and Michele say hi though!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-28-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
So did you get to teach him and pull him from the back of the boat without the tower, or was the whole weekend eaten up trying to find a way to fix the tower?
If it were me, I would just not use the tower at all over the weekend, pulling from the rear ski hook deal and worry about getting it welded when businesses were open again.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-28-2014, 12:54 PM Reply   
LOL, I understand that logic completely.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-28-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
I bought a tower a few months ago and it came with this broken weld..... sucked cause nobody would touch it cause of liability reasons, so sent it back after a month of fighting with them on whos fault it was.
Attached Images

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
By the time I stopped swearing and disassembled everything and made some calls to potential welders the tide had really started to roll so we abandoned our plans to learn to wakeboard and whipped out the trusty ski trainer and had some fun. Here's a pic from the day before, when I still had a usable tower ...