Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
22 Tomcat Black with Purple, Blue/White 22 Tomcat, Red/White/Silver 24 Tomcat
Attached Images

Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
21 B52 White/Yellow/Gunmetal Metallic, 21 Tomcat Black/Orange Metallic
22 Tomcat Blue/Black/Gunmetal Metallic
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Very nice, got any pics of the prices?
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
23 B52 White/Black/Silver Metallic
Attached Images

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Something about that tower/windsheild combo does not do it for me.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       01-20-2014, 10:07 AM Reply   
Agreed
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-20-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Beautiful boats, I know our Tomcat is a better built boat than our last one...... I think everyone will be using gravity fill ballast before long.. Halleluiah no more pumps!!!!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-20-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
It doesn't flow well, does it. I'm just not used to the chopped off windshields. Don't like them on these, Axis, or Mastercraft.

I do love the colors though. You must have a big booth to have that many boats in there!
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-20-2014, 11:06 AM Reply   
Is it me or does that look like a Malibu. Nice looking boats but they should have kept the old cor schemes
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-20-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Nice looking boats. I like the new subtle grafics. Maybe the new windshield will grow on me.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-20-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Have to say having an old school MC that has an elongated windshield being able to talk to the rider grab a dock would be REALLY nice. I agree not use to it yet but would be one of those function over form in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
It doesn't flow well, does it. I'm just not used to the chopped off windshields. Don't like them on these, Axis, or Mastercraft.

I do love the colors though. You must have a big booth to have that many boats in there!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
I like the red with the white best but those are all beautiful boats.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-20-2014, 12:28 PM Reply   
All great looking boats! LOVE the function of the windshield but the look is not my cup of tea. Thought I would be used to the tower by now but it's just not working for me either. My 2012 F21 has the 4 point tower and although its the "older" look but seems to fit the lines of the boat better. MB's are here to stay that's for sure...
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
We had no negative comments about the windshield during the show, everyone loved it. The Correct Craft rep took a photo of it since that was the first one he had seen in person.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       01-20-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
Sure like the black and purple, very sharp.
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 3:39 PM Reply   
I wasn't a fan of the windshield until I saw it in person. I guess everyone can judge for themselves when they see it and sit in a boat.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-20-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 B52wb. I wasn't sure at first about window either. I love it now. I comes farther down the side the my buddy;s axis. I love you can communicate with a downed rider easier and it is great for grabbing the dock while parking,.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-20-2014, 5:27 PM Reply   
I like the black and purple. I do feel like they are copying malibus scheme and overall gelcoat look though and axis windows. I would want more originality if i were buying that brand. If I was Malibu I would probably file a lawsuit over the copy. Also I wouldn't brag about nautique taking a pic of it. That's like saying nautique accepted u and that they are the king of boats. Don't get me wrong I like nautique and have owned one but don't put them on a pedestal like u r wanting their acceptance. Come on m.b. nice product from what I see and friendly price but don't shortchange yourself copying other designs and seeking the big dogs acceptance. Ok b right back, gotta go get my flame suit. Lol
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-20-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
Don ~ Huge fan of being able to talk with the rider while turning around. Fan since the day I drove a 2002 SANTE and just look over and talk to the rider. It's boat show season!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-20-2014, 5:58 PM Reply   
Gonna stir the pot here. So your saying Nautique took 0 styling cues from malibu on this gel scheme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
Mike in NC we have been a marine dealer since 1966. We sold Mastercraft in the 80's, sold Correct Craft in 93 and 94, Tige for 11 years. We don't need Correct Crafts acceptance, the rep commented that he liked the windshield and took a photo. I didn't hear anyone comment how the windshield looks like an Axis or the boats look like a BU, just compliments on how great the boats look. I can always find something I like on another brand of boat that I like and compliment them on it, that is how mature people act in our industry.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-20-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
I'm plenty mature, In fact I started by saying I liked the black and purple one to start. So I too gave a compliment. So I am not mature because I call the mb a copy of malibus gelcoat scheme and axis window? No I call that my opinion. If I wanted to be immature I'd say look at that piece of junk that wants to be a Malibu when it grows up. Don't be so sensitive, grow up and realize this is a discussion board to which I'm entitled to my opinion and to voice it. I don't care how old u, your dealership, or your boats are. Nice looking boat even though it is a fraud. There, that maybe was a little immature. That was just for u though.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-20-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
And chase ,,,agreed. I am a nautique fan and yes I think they copied malibus graphics also but not as closely as m b in my opinion
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
I think the boats look nice.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
Even the Nautique!!
Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-20-2014, 10:13 PM Reply   
Mature people? lol Mature people obviously cant have opinions because he didnt love your boat, so lets talk facts. The fact is these boats are not NMMA certified. They do that to save money and they do pass that on to the customers. However, without this certification, MB is not required to put foam in the boats. And since they are not required to put foam in, MB does not put foam in the boats. Sooooo lets say something bad happened out thereon the water, and god forbid it did, MB is goin down quickest.... Out of everybody. Also the boats are louder than most manufacturers (engine noise, rough water, platform rattle, that type of thing) because there's no sound absorption associated with foam. And if you don't believe me find the sticker in a MB from the NMMA saying max persons, or max weight and take a picture of it. Im gonna go get the water hose haha
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-21-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
lol, didnt know that but I find that interesting and useful information to prospective buyers. I'm still trying to figure out how this woman thought it would be ok to take a backhanded jab at me and imply that I am not mature due to the fact that I stated my opinion about what was posted and did so in a professional and polite way until she thought it necessary to insult me. oh well to each its own. like I said I can tell what its trying to be when it grows up. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and mb is definitely imitating Malibu/axis. sorry lady but you are the poor example of a immature person in our industry that insults another person's opinion of OUR industry. If you have sold so many good brands that are built well and properly then why would you resort to selling a substandard brand that is gonna sink the quickest at signs of trouble or distress? why set your customers up to fail? now maybe that was me being a little immature again, but hey, u asked for it! and for the record once again I owned and like nautique and currently own a mxz Malibu that obviously the mb is attempting to copy the gel scheme of and tower, and axis window.... etc etc etc......... I feel both of those are quality brands and I like my new boat so far. whats the next copy MB is gonna try? surfgate?

Last edited by MIKEnNC; 01-21-2014 at 6:42 AM. Reason: forgot
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-21-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Curious where is this foam in my 2002 xstar? I have had that thing apart and have yet to find foam anywhere. Just curious on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth28 View Post
Mature people? lol Mature people obviously cant have opinions because he didnt love your boat, so lets talk facts. The fact is these boats are not NMMA certified. They do that to save money and they do pass that on to the customers. However, without this certification, MB is not required to put foam in the boats. And since they are not required to put foam in, MB does not put foam in the boats. Sooooo lets say something bad happened out thereon the water, and god forbid it did, MB is goin down quickest.... Out of everybody. Also the boats are louder than most manufacturers (engine noise, rough water, platform rattle, that type of thing) because there's no sound absorption associated with foam. And if you don't believe me find the sticker in a MB from the NMMA saying max persons, or max weight and take a picture of it. Im gonna go get the water hose haha
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Curious where is this foam in my 2002 xstar? I have had that thing apart and have yet to find foam anywhere. Just curious on that.
It is typically filled into the stringers. Have you taken your boat apart enough to see the stringers?
Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
Tampa: The wake/ski boats I have seen with the NMMA cert, the foam is between the stringer and the gunnel of the boat. This is usually fiberglassed in as well. That is the way your boat is. You cant see it but its there. On a MB this is where the ballast tanks are that fill so fast. Also as a side note since we're still talking about MB boats, unless they changed it for 2014, none of the water inlets on the boats have shut off valves. So if a hose busts grab some duct tape, cut a can open, tape it on and hope for the best! hahaha
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Here's a question, if the ballast tanks are empty, does it need foam to float or is there enough buoyancy provided by the air in the tanks to keep it afloat? If there are 3 tanks, and 1 is ruptured, is there still enough? I don't know the answer or the reason why MB doesn't use foam (other than cutting costs).
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
i always love a good MB thread.....really gets people going for some reason. The reason i bought an MB is i like the way the look, Good wake, Good surf wave, and was what i could afford.

So overall i am satisfied.

Do i think that MB is the boat company. NO. im almost sure there are others out there.

And the whole foam thing and blah blah blah cerified. I really dont care.

What i do know is that i have a hell of a good time on the water in my MB
Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
Timmy! First off I like the name haha. Foam is used instead of air for buoyancy because in the event the compartment the air is ruptures, you no longer have floatation. With foam if the compartment has an air leak, the foams flotation is still the same. That's why foam is used in boats. The MBs have two ballast tanks, one port and starboard. They run from the rear of the boat to about where the driver sits on each side, with one vent per tank at the most forward position possible on the tank. I do believe your right that if one did bust the other could serve as flotation. However here is your problem. They use an RV dump valve at the back of the boat that opens and closes to let the water in and out. If you had both tanks full and something happened how are your going to empty them? They dont use pumps so if an accident happened, you better hope you can get going fast enough to be able to open the valves and let the water out and shut them to get your flotation. This is all scenario based kind of stuff, and I hope no one is ever put into the position where they would have to try to figure a situation like this out. The reason they don't use foam is because they save money by not undergoing NMMA certification, so why put foam in if your not going to do that. Also where are you going to put it? Their ballast tanks are where most ski/wake brands put their foam flotation. All this is based on 2013 MB boats, but from the ballast specs, it doesnt look like there has been any changes.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-21-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
OK Mr. Dirty, you join today and post on this thread, nothing in your profile, so please tell us a little about yourself, boat, location, wake affiliation etc.
Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
Tell me where I misspoke? Or if there is anything untrue that I said I would be more than happy to retract previous statements and replace them with the truth. Who are you the ringleader for MB? LOL Surfer Brah!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-21-2014, 11:13 AM Reply   
you just seem to have an axe to grind with MB, there is not enough foam to float a hat in any wake boat, we've seen pics of sunken MC's, Centurions, etc. and they are NMMA, so if you want to bash, tell us something that carries some weight, and if you want some credibility, don't hide behind a screen name and bash the first day you join
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-21-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
sounds as though dirty is highly knowledgeable on mb and knows a lot about the product. also would make sense that a rep or salesperson and or dealer for the brand would want to quickly quiet and discredit him. if u joined today or yesterday im glad u posted and shared this info as a prospective buyer like myself may not have known to ask those questions or even be aware of this issue with mb. and my OPINION is that it is an issue and a shortcut that shouldn't be taken, saving money or not that is one shortcut I wouldn't want taken on my boat. I bet Karen regrets trying to take a jab at me now as now another member has called out her brand on a problem they have and a design shortcoming and cost saving measure that should not have been taken
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
I think we have all seen pics of multiple brands at the bottom of a lake that have the foam. I don't think that is going to be the deciding factor in whether or not the boat sinks to the bottom of the lake. How many on here follow those NMMA guidelines? You know the one, it says 15 persons OR 5,000 lbs? Not 15 persons PLUS 5,000 lbs of ballast. It is good information to know though. Also, if it was a requirement to have that certification, it would have that.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
I can't believe I just stuck up for MB!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-21-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Beautiful boats nelems!!

You guys preaching about safety and crying about foam crack me up. I'm sure 90% of everyone on this site rides with a comp vest and loads there boat down with ballast way over the weight rating(myself included).

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-21-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
Damn Timmy you beat me to it

Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
No grinding of an axe here man. I dont really care. Its just the truth. And some people, they can't handle the truth. I could go on and on with all different boat manufacturers and things they should all do better. But who are you anyway? How long have you been in the marine industry? Have you ever worked on a boat? Do you work on a lot of brands or just one? Have you worked on anything but ski/wake boats? Or are you a sales person who is just fed knowledge by a manufacturer who is trying to get you the salesman to buy their boats to sell? Looking at your profile you obviously sell them so I could see how you would have interest in what im saying. Again im not bashing just telling the truth. My biggest question to MB would be, why did they change from PCM to Indmar? Why don't they use shut off valves? And you are right surfer. I am new to posting on wakeworld but the most knowledgeable people on many many things in the ski/wake industry don't post on wake world. And Mike is right too, Karen prob regrets running her mouth. Lol In hindsight, it prob wasnt worth it. It aggravated me someone obviously selling a boat called another person immature for just speaking their opinion about a boat they are selling. That is what prompted me to sharpen my "AXE" if u wanna call it that and speak my opinion. I by no means know everything, and Im not claiming to. I just was letting everyone what I had seen in the MB line.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Since you are "in the know", you would know why mfr's are switching from PCM to Indmar and it has to do with the phasing out of GM's small block and a possible lack of future planning (from what I have read). Indmar is moving to the Ford platform to get back the low end torque that the LS based GM engines lack compared to the traditional small block. I might be wrong, and probably am, so let me know the real reason if I am.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-21-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
Funny we can have a "who copied who" thread and not include Nautique's blatant rip off of the ASR hull for its G-series line of boats.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-21-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
Doesn't matter if they copied the windshield idea from Malibu/Axis. Truth is, the Axis is well done, the MB version looks a little goofy, as if it's an after-thought.

Either way, both companies came up with a great cost-saving idea there. I don't miss the side of the windshield one bit.
Old     (dirtysouth28)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Nope I was just asking a question! MB moved to Indmar a year or more before the announcement, but maybe they saw that coming or something. And id much rather work on a ford any day so Im good either way.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-21-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
No wonder I need more ballast. Stupid foam is floating the damn boat...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-21-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
WW cracks me up. Company A copied company B. Like the pick fork idea, towers, ballasts types of pumps size of pumps size of plumbing. There are no longer any new ideas. Something is always being copied. Hell why not if it works great for one company why not improve on it and work it in. Everyone is so caught up into what they have. Own a big three or your a loser or your boat is crap. Boat brand makes me feel good about myself and superior. My big three boat just dumped a seal on a transmission with a little over 200 hours on it and babied. Oh and its original ballast system was crap too. The list can go on and on. As far as the rating well I break that every time I boat and most ratings are ways for someone to make money that does nothing. If thats important to you then dont buy MB my guess most could care less.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-21-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
I love that on a forum where members will regularly recommend that you stash lead in your boat to weight it down or to put all the weight and people on one side to get it to list, we have someone complaining about a lack of foam. I guess I might care about that if I was taking my boat out on the ocean, but I also wouldn't ad thousands of pounds of weight if I was going out on big water. For what it's worth, I would agree that the lack of a valve on the thru-hull seems to be a questionable choice. That being said, parts do fail, and by leaving it out, that's just one less part to fail.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
I've ridden in several MB's that were loaded to the maximum plus plenty more 12 passengers. One was a 21 ft boat. It still floated fine and i couldn't hear any engine noise because the Stereo was Kickin. MB is a lot of boat for the money.So was Axis.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
.....Jetranger

That made me lol.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
The foam only works when sinking...sorry it is a safety feature not normally used. If you are okay with your boat sinking like a rock if it gets a hole in it, then fine, buy an MB. If you want a safety feature that will alot you some time to get valuables off the boat, get a certified boat. Not a big deal either way you choose...unless a life is lost during the incident.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-21-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
I would not buy a boat with foam in the hull.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-21-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
#1 a standard arch tower would compliment the lines of the windshield frame much better.

#2 if you are in a boat and you can't swim or are a child then you should have a life vest on at all times.

#3 Have you been witness to different boat sinkings? Both NMMA and non NMMA certified? If not we can only make assumptions as to how fast one sinks vs. the other. By that standard one could make the assumption that the non foam boat may sink quicker although not quickly enough to justify the added cost of NMMA certification when boating on a small inland body of water.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       01-22-2014, 4:48 AM Reply   
nice boats and had the dealer in Boise been a little more willing to deal on my trade, I'd have a '12. I do have to say tho I'm not digging the new tower. I preferred the 4point from '12-earlier.
felt from a value standpoint, they offered a lot of boat for the money and the water test felt like a solid well built machine.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
I'm plenty mature, In fact I started by saying I liked the black and purple one to start. So I too gave a compliment. So I am not mature because I call the mb a copy of malibus gelcoat scheme and axis window? No I call that my opinion. If I wanted to be immature I'd say look at that piece of junk that wants to be a Malibu when it grows up. Don't be so sensitive, grow up and realize this is a discussion board to which I'm entitled to my opinion and to voice it. I don't care how old u, your dealership, or your boats are. Nice looking boat even though it is a fraud. There, that maybe was a little immature. That was just for u though.
What an idiot

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-22-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
easy for a punk mb fanboy to resort to personal attacks in an open opinionated discussion board. all I can say is for those reading read my quote u inserted, then read your response. I believe u would be considered the idiot my friend. easy for you to take jabs behind a keyboard, funny thing is if u were in front of my face you would not walk away but run as fast as you can. you fanboys crack me up
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
Mike your such a tough guy I know. I'm am entitled to my opinion of you just like you are yours. You sound so stupid with your rant about how mb is copying Malibu. Isn't Malibu and every other boat manufacturer using metal flake in their schemes now? Who came up with that first?

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
You can catch alot of fish with such a sparkley boat! Ranger did!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-22-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Axis doesn't use foam, and most Malibus don't have foam either if I remember right
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-22-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
easy for a punk mb fanboy to resort to personal attacks in an open opinionated discussion board. all I can say is for those reading read my quote u inserted, then read your response. I believe u would be considered the idiot my friend. easy for you to take jabs behind a keyboard, funny thing is if u were in front of my face you would not walk away but run as fast as you can. you fanboys crack me up
Get a hold of yourself. You're 35 years old. I would expect this type of internet tough guy act from a younger person. I'd say that to your face.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-22-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
LOL!

"say it to my face," says The Most Mature Guy Ever.

irony can be so ironic.
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-22-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Actually the bass are digging the purple metallic on the 22 Tomcat
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-22-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
Wow, this is gotten into the ridiculous. MB is not NMMA certified, who friggin cares? To anyone who says they wouldn't consider an MB because of this, hey... that is fine, but I personally find it laughable. That is my opinion. Foam, another thing I could care less about. How often do boats sink? I mean it has to be so incredibly rare and I'd almost guarantee there is zero correlation between inboard fiberglass boats sinking whether or not foam is in the boat.

Anyway, Karen those are some great color combos. hope you guys killed it at the boat show.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-22-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
i wont be baited into a pissing contest on a forum, i stated my opinion, others stated theirs, it is what it is. anyone can hide behind a keyboard and talk smack but like i said it is what it is. and mb is what it is
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
THIS GUY.....HAHAHAHAHA what a tool
Attached Images

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-22-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Those bass do look like they prefer black and they scoff at any silly ratings or foam.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-22-2014, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
You can catch alot of fish with such a sparkley boat! Ranger did!

Yeah, I trawl for slender flounder....so what, a man needs to eat, if ya know what I mean. Let me put it this way, I know what the fox says cause I have so much vixen in my den it's like Fox News with slender snail leaving trails to and fro all over this southern brother.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-22-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Im a nautique guy these days but my 2006 B52 was one of the most solid boats I've owned. Foam is irrelevant and I could be completely wrong here but the reason for using the foam was not to keep the boat floating forever, it is to help keep the boat afloat for x amount of time in the event an accident occured. There isn't a boat in this industry and that could take a gapping hole in the side and "NOT SINK", others will float longer before sinking due to the foam (this is where NMMA certification comes in) to give passangers a better chance at getting off the boat. There's more than just MB that doesn't use foam either so if people are going to finger point and act incredibly knowledgable I'm shocked that MB is the only brand under scrutiny (I am pretty sure Malibu/Axis do not use foam either, but my opionion is who really cares, I'm a good swimmer, and boats are pretty damn fun)
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-22-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Im a nautique guy these days but my 2006 B52 was one of the most solid boats I've owned. Foam is irrelevant and I could be completely wrong here but the reason for using the foam was not to keep the boat floating forever, it is to help keep the boat afloat for x amount of time in the event an accident occured. There isn't a boat in this industry and that could take a gapping hole in the side and "NOT SINK", others will float longer before sinking due to the foam (this is where NMMA certification comes in) to give passangers a better chance at getting off the boat. There's more than just MB that doesn't use foam either so if people are going to finger point and act incredibly knowledgable I'm shocked that MB is the only brand under scrutiny (I am pretty sure Malibu/Axis do not use foam either, but my opionion is who really cares, I'm a good swimmer, and boats are pretty damn fun)
I don't know much about if foam is used in certain brands. I do know that I owned a 92 Searay 180 and the stringers rotted out and the foam absorbed water, making the boat more heavy than normal. Typically the foam was replaced when the stringers get replaced.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-22-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Tim you are correct, a lot of brands are now using "closed cell foam" which will not absorb water like the old foam used to. I do not have a list of what manufacturers use and how much, but I know MC and Nautique definitely use closed cell foam. DISCLAIMER, that statement is not saying one boat is better than another, simply a fact of what the manufacturer uses.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-22-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
Sure doesn't seen like a lot foam hidden anywhere in my SAN. I guess they could be in the stringers but that sure doesn't seen like it would float much.

Answer me this if MB doesn't use foam in their stringers what are they using? Seems the reason manufactures use foam is because they no longer use wood which is what was used in the old days.

Lastly is anyone even sure what are the requirements to be mmna certified actually is? Do they specify a certain amount of foam?

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-22-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Lastly is anyone even sure what are the requirements to be mmna certified actually is?
A check payable to MMNA
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-22-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
Any boat I own has a great big V8 and a butt load of lead in it so foam is pretty irrelevant to me.....
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-22-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Lastly is anyone even sure what are the requirements to be mmna certified actually is?
A check payable to MMNA
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-22-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
I could see where foam is used as sound dampening too. I am not sure how much it matters anymore though. I am interested in why MB doesnt use valves between the thru-hull and the pump though. That seems like an easy install for cheap at the manufacture that could save a boat....although I have never heard of anyone using one to prevent a situation on their boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-22-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I could see where foam is used as sound dampening too. I am not sure how much it matters anymore though. I am interested in why MB doesnt use valves between the thru-hull and the pump though. That seems like an easy install for cheap at the manufacture that could save a boat....although I have never heard of anyone using one to prevent a situation on their boat.
MB uses a valve, but there is no pump.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-22-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
MB uses a valve, but there is no pump.

They sent a leprechaun into Tige's lair to steal that valve. The leprechauns name was "Desire."

And MB boats are "A Streetcar Named Retard."

Last edited by JetRanger; 01-22-2014 at 7:39 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-22-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
The boats look great Karen. I hope the show went well for you.

I really like the gel scheme on the 24 tomcats. I wonder if mike would do that new scheme on the 21 tomcat, 21 TWB and 23 TWB without the really thin stripe up towards the bow. I can't decide it I like that stripe or not. That said I think you did did a great job with your boats. They do look great. I think the black and silver flake 23 is my favorite.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
lol, didnt know that but I find that interesting and useful information to prospective buyers. I'm still trying to figure out how this woman thought it would be ok to take a backhanded jab at me and imply that I am not mature due to the fact that I stated my opinion about what was posted and did so in a professional and polite way until she thought it necessary to insult me. oh well to each its own. like I said I can tell what its trying to be when it grows up. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and mb is definitely imitating Malibu/axis. sorry lady but you are the poor example of a immature person in our industry that insults another person's opinion of OUR industry. If you have sold so many good brands that are built well and properly then why would you resort to selling a substandard brand that is gonna sink the quickest at signs of trouble or distress? why set your customers up to fail? now maybe that was me being a little immature again, but hey, u asked for it! and for the record once again I owned and like nautique and currently own a mxz Malibu that obviously the mb is attempting to copy the gel scheme of and tower, and axis window.... etc etc etc......... I feel both of those are quality brands and I like my new boat so far. whats the next copy MB is gonna try? surfgate?
I doubt MB will do a surf gate, soft mushy waves isn't their MO...I think Mikey needs a lesson in emulation vs imitation/copy.....observational learning is making these features and styles more affordable in different brands of boats....shouldn't make you upset. Didn't MB have a lime-ish green metal flake before Malibu??