Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-12-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
WHo is going to win its sooo close between the top 5 Reno is going to be NUTS!!
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2009, 3:25 AM Reply   
I know I am probably biased about this, I really hope my son can win in his rookie year. It is going to be really tough for the top 3 riders.
best of luck to all.
Go Harley

Bill
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
I'd like to see Rathy get it.
Old     (akdivision)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
No offense to Bill(cause your boy kills it) but I'm +1 for Rathy to take it this year.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-13-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
+2 for rathy
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
I personally think that the scoring is all messed up. For instance, Soven should be 3rd but gets bumped up to 2nd because of some lame rule that puts guys lower in the rankings bonus points for doing nothing. Where AA has podiumed in all but like 1 event and is now in 4th. Stupid if you ask me. You shouldn't be rewarded for doing nothing. Harley is a sick rider, but he didn't even go to Nationals and is now 3rd, when he should really be 5th....what gives?!

(Message edited by BBR on August 13, 2009)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
Harley chose not to go to Nationals.
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2009, 11:36 PM Reply   
the reason harley didnt go to Nationals is that we booked a return flight early in the season for harley to come home and spend time with his family. This happened to be on the same weekend as nationals. Last year he was home sick, 6 months away from his family. So this year he came home we didnt think he would be doing as well as what he was in the king of wake standings when we booked his ticket.
I dont understand the system and how they change the placings for king of wake either.
Hope this clears this up about harley not being at Nationals

Bill
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Bill- wise decision. Harley is still pretty young and even though KOW is important it is nice to see you have your priorities straight. Harley will win many a crown but it is refreshing to see that it is not more important than family. It is a tough call but you are obviously teaching him the right values. By the way- i never thanked you for helping Austin out those times when he was young and down under. So thanks.

As far as KOW scoring goes- I think there is merit about placing more value on podiums and especially winning. I remember when someone won KOW and never won an event. But tightening the race the last 4 stops does make this more interesting. But can someone explain how it works? How do you jump over someone?

What is really interesting is that Rathey and Harley are tied in PWT pts so this event will determine who wins PWT.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
This has been discussed so many times and I have yet to see an explanation that makes any sense. Ask Andrew Adkinson
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Maybe Obama is making the rules. He seems to like rewarding people for doing nothing.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Go Harley...
Bill could Harley have rode at nationals even though his not from the U.S.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Yes,because it's pro's.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
^^^I've wondered about this a bunch. Riders from outside the US can ride, but they seem to handle it funny. It may not be like this anymore, but several years ago, I made it through a Jr. Mens heat at Nationals even though I was one spot away because the guy who qualified ahead of me was Canadian. I think that some people were bitching because Mark Kenny won Jr. Mens that year and he wasn't from the US.

Which also makes me wonder: are KOW points awarded at other countries' national championships?

(Message edited by anthemwake on August 14, 2009)
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
You can ONLY compete in the Pro's if you are not a US citizen. In the UK you can compete but even if you win, you cannot hold the title unless you are a UK citizen. Go figure?
Old     (wakester)      Join Date: May 2008       08-14-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
I'm so happy to see Harley sitting at the top and having the opportunity to win it all. First year as pro, Wow. Bill, I'm sure you and you're wife miss Harley alot. 16 and so far from home. Harley is an amazing young man. I'm obviously pulling for Harley here. Don't blame you Bill for bringing him home atleast for a little while.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
The scoring system definately leaves something to be desired. Congrats to Harley, but I always pull for the guy who got wronged. Go AA !
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-14-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
@ NAtionals...in Jrs. if someone outside of the USA were to win, whoever got second would win...

Pros dont matter
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-14-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
just want to personally thank Chris Butler and his family for putting up with Harley this year.
Harley has been very lucky this year to have had access to a boat and great family to stay with.
I would also like to thank everyone else who has looked after him whilst he has been in the US.
It has been an amazing journey for Harley and for his family, let me tell you it has been hard to watch from the other side of the world, not to be there with him at the contests.
thank you.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-14-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Bill, Harley is extremely talented, and one my favorite riders. I was just saying that since he wasn't at Nationals, techically he should have lost points simply because he wasn't there to have gained any; however, he is now in 3rd place.

The scoring system sucks when the Chase points are added, because it basically means that you can not even make the podium through the first half of the season and still be in the running to win KOW at the end. AA has made podium in all but two events if I'm not mistaken (feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong), including a Master's win, and is now getting the shaft. Just my opinion.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
"@ NAtionals...in Jrs. if someone outside of the USA were to win, whoever got second would win..."

And again, NO. If you are not a US citizen you cannot compete in the WWA Nationals in ANY other division EXCEPT the Pro's.

What you are referring to is the nationals sanctioned by USA Waterski.
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-14-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
I was in taiwan with AA just recently and was talking to him about the king of wake point system,you know he didnt even critise the system. AA is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, he talked to me about Harley and what an awsome rider he was. I said to him that harley had looked up to him for many years. The first time Harley was invited to masters in jnr mens, harley had just ridden in the semi's and made finals. I saw AA and asked if Harley could get a photo with him, Harley was a big fan. AA's response was no I want a photo with him, this is the type of person AA is, I wish him all the best for the Pro tour in reno and the Worlds. I would really like harley to be as humble and deserving as Andrew Adkinson is. I know this is of topic but just wanted to share with you guys out there
Bill
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-15-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Chase points- AFter 5th stop they bunch the top 10 together by separating each position by 10 points. So if you were 100 pts ahead in 1st after the 5th stop they would jump number 2 to be back just 10, 3rd back 20 and so on. So yes- AA got the worst of it cause he podiumed the first 4 or 5 but didn't make top 10 once after that so it really compounded the result. I think most people and riders would like not for this to happen.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-15-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
sounds like nascar, isnt here a better way?
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2009, 3:31 AM Reply   
That's great to hear Bill. Adkison has been one of my favorite rider's ever since the first Scrubs of the South trailer came out years ago. That is still my fav wake teaser vid to this day. It's good to hear things like that considering how little there is to go around in the wakeboard industry and that most of these guys still maintain that kind of attitude toward one another.