Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Ran the boat out of gas last week. We were wakeboarding and in the middle of a set the boat lost power, tried to throttle up and it just wouldnt happen. Apparently I forgot to check the gas gauge which let me know that we were indeed out of gas. I again started the boat and attempted to try to idle to the dock. Got halfway and the boat died, completely out of gas.
Here's my problem... I filled the tank up yesterday and tried to start the boat at the ramp. I got nothing, not only did the boat not start but I ran my battery down quite a bit in the process. Tried the boat this morning and again she just wont start. Its a 2003 Mastercraft X-2 with the MCX does anyone know why my boat wont start??? is there some procedure I need to follow after running the boat out of gas??? thanx for any help...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
You might try letting the guages "cycle" a few times before starting. Meaning turn the key to the on position for a minute or so and back off a couple of times. This may help with fuel delivery. If that doesn't work try calling your dealer and maybe post on www.mymastercraft.com as well. Good luck.
Old    deltahoosier            06-25-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
You may have clogged the fuel filter too.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
I've got an 03 X-2 with an MCX in it also. Are you sure you ran out of gas? I had a very similar situation happen to me. There seems to be a problem associated with the fuel pump. My problem was that the paddles on the in-tank fuel pump dried out over last winter because there wasn't much fuel in the tank to keep them wet. These paddles failed and my dealer had to put a new fuel pump in. When this happened I swore I ran out of gas, but I looked at the tank by the area where you screw in the plug and the tank had gas in it. The reason I bring this up is that my dealer told me that my boat was the 7th '03 that he had done this too. So now if I'm going to let my boat sit an extended period of time, I want to have enough fuel in the tank to cover the pump.

Anyways, hope this info helps.

(Message edited by rschrock on June 25, 2004)
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-25-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
Lanyard get bumped?
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Tank's dry, just called dealer also suggested I burned up the pump. Never occured to my to cycle the key on and off to prime the lines. Must have burned it up trying to start it. Lanyards also on. Guess im gonna have to take it in... thanks guys for the help.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
Not so sure where to look on the MCX but with FI motors if you get air into the high pressure fuel rails it will cause problems. Usually on the fuel rails (things that supply the injectors) you will find a fitting that the dealer uses to measure fuel pressure. This is also a air bleed valve. It works about the same as a tire nozzle. Try and bleed the air out before you crank it again, seeing how if your tank is really dry all you will be doing is introducing more air into the system and not fuel.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
I had my engined pulled for my 330 HP 2000 X-star and had a smilar situation once the motor was back in the boat. If you look at the engine from the back seat, there is a bleed valve on the right side of the motor on top where the fuel line goes into the top of the engine. Unscrew the cap and push the pin in with a key or a screw driver. Have someone turn the boat over while you push in the pin, wait to see if any gas begins to leak out, if it does not, then probably is your pump. if you are getting fuel, then may be a connector under the back seat on top of your fuel tank or something else. You can contact me by email if you have any other questions.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-28-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
WARNING Fuel injection does not need to be bleed out and opening the schrader valve on the fuel rail will leak fuel and can cause a leak in the future. There is a return line that unused gas passes back into the fuel tank in a constant cycle with the boat running.

As for the problem it sure sounds like it could be a bad in tank pump. Just like with a vehicle it is bad to run the fuel tanks down much past a 1/4 tank as the fuel cools and lubes the fuel pumps. Promlems like this are why we have warranties!
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
Thanks Peter, That is What Portland Ski boat center (mastercraft Dealer) told me to do when I had a Fuel issue. If what you are saying is true, I would like to call them and ask why they told me to do this. Just trying to help. I think in my case, they were trying to assess wether or not the motor was being starved of fuel. And then pin point the problem.
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-28-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
You probably need a new fuel pump, I did the exact same thing when I first got my '02 X-Star. Once they replace the Fuel Pump, no more problem. I make it a point not to let the tank get below 1/2 - 2/3 empty.