Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    kidrik            05-18-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Been awhile since I've posted...but looking for some good thoughts for a young man who's life is in the balance. My son's best friend here in Folsom, CA. had a tragic accident on the lake this past weekend. He and his family were enjoying a day on the water, and although the exact information is still unsure, he apparently he was on a jetski, and was struck by a larger seadoo. He is in the ICU at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, and has major injuries including having his teeth busted out, broken ribs, punctured lungs, siezures, and bleeding in the brain. He clinically died this morning, and was brought back to life within a half hour after.... This 13 year old boy is the most kind and caring young man I can think of, and his family needs our thoughts right now. It's difficult to try and explain the magnitude of what's happening to my own children, and my oldest just wants to go see him and make him all better. Please send good thoughts Conner's way. Thank you

Take care

Rik
Old     (FreeRider209)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
You got my prayers brotha.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-18-2010, 10:09 PM Reply   
Oh man, that is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with Conner and his family.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-18-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
He's in our prayers!
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-18-2010, 11:49 PM Reply   
he is in my prayers, i hope he pulls through, there are many blessings for people out there and im sure he will receive one
Old     (dkpitman)      Join Date: May 2010       05-19-2010, 12:25 AM Reply   
His earlier revival only proves the resilience of this amazing young man. He and his family have my prayers and thoughts.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-19-2010, 12:51 AM Reply   
Thoughts and prayers going out. Really sorry to hear this!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-19-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
My prayers are with you. So sorry. What a terrible situation
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-19-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
My prayers go out to you and his family.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-19-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
I will keep you in my prayers, so sorry to hear this.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-19-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
All of you are in our thoughts, Conner and his family, but also you and yours. Take Care!
Old    kidrik            05-19-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Thanks so much for all of your kind words! My boys are taking cards to their schools today to rally support from all of Conner's friends, teachers,etc. I'm not sure when I will hear the next update, but will be thinking positive thoughts, and will share all of this support with Conner WHEN he comes home!

Thanks again
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Sending positive vibes your way!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Good luck Conner. Hang in there buddy.

Man, this is the kind of stuff that scares the hell out of me as a parent.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-19-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Prayers sent.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-19-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Keeping him in my prayers too.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-19-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Very sorry to hear.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
We're pulling for you Conner. Keep fighting man, never give up!

Rik, I am so sorry to hear this. Thanks for bringing to the wake community. Sometime these horrible things happen in our own backyard and we never hear about it. Our thoughts and prayers are for everyone involved.

-Uj
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about this. His family and yours will be in our thoughts.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-19-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
This is very sad news. Conner and his family will be in my prayers, along with you and your family.
Old     (bstphen24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Very sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
You got my # Rik call if you need anything you know that !
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-19-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thoughts and Prayers for Conner and his family and friends.
Well said UJ, so sad didn't hear about it stay strong.

G
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Hang in there Conner, you got it buddy

+vibes
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-20-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Prayers for he and his family.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-20-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Prayers and good vibes from NC. Hang tough and keep the faith.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-20-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
RIK.....

Keep us posted on him, we all would like updates when you have them.

God Bless
Old     (deltarida)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-20-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
The entire Fifty 1 Fifty Family & Crew send every single positive vibe Connor's way! Our prayers and thoughts are with Connor, his family and yours! God bless and we all hope Connor makes a full and speedy recovery!
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-20-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers go out to Conner and his family.

-P
Old    kidrik            05-20-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thanks so much to everyone!! I can't tell you how much strength it gives you to have all these positive thoughts, and so may people behind you! I will relay this thread to Conner's parents, and let them know that A LOT of people are pulling for their son!

I'm headed to pick up my son from school and try to visit Conner and his family at the Med Center. We probably won't be able to see him, but will be able to help comfort his family, even if just a little. I will also try and confirm second hand news that he will need lung transplants, as well as some possible good news.....that he came out of a coma and actually recognized some faces! I so hope that's true.

I'm also thinking of picking up a new board, and having all the kids at school sign it, so that WHEN he gets better, he will be able to start shredding again!

Thanks again, and I will try and update you with some GOOD news later tonight.

Take care (Jeff, I totally know that brother! See you soon) Thanks UJ.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-20-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thoughts and prayers to Connors Family!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
This stuff hits me a lot harder since having kids, will definately keep him in our thoughts and prayers.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
Thoughts and prayers to Conner and his family! Kids are amazingly resiliant, I have confidence he'll pull through!
Old    kidrik            05-20-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
UPDATE! Wow....this kid is amazing! My son and I lucked out, and were able to actually visit Connor! We walked over behind the curtain, and his eyes lit up when he saw my son Cooper! So I guess they tried taking him off the ventilator, but his lungs weren't ready, so he's still on a machine with a tube down his throat. But as far as his brain function, he has turned the corner in amazing fashion! The first thing he did was look at Coop, and give him the "thumb across the throat" jesture like they do at school to say, "I'm coming to get you" and pointed at him! It was unreal. He was able to nod, and had a notepad which he could barely make out words to communicate. He was too tired to write when we were there, however, we wrote a nice note for him to check out anytime he was feeling it! At one point he put both hands up and did the double gun point with a slight shake (like the cheezy dude at the bar) When we left, he bumped both of our fists and you could see a very slight wrinkle at the mouth, which was a definite smile! I'm trying to attach a pic that my son got off caringbridge.org. Haven't quite figured out this new system yet.

Thank you ALL once again for the support, and ALL of your comments came to life! He's got a LONG way to go, but from what I saw today, he definitely has the will to pull this off! They're not sure of the long term effects, from the blood clot, and a stroke he suffered after the accident, but I'm positive he will come back strong!
Attached Images

Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2010, 4:44 AM Reply   
TEAM CBK is thinking and praying for a speedy recovery. Hang in there.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
THAT is EXCELLENT news! Thanks for sharing!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-21-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
AWESOME and just amazing. Kids are absolutely amazing! Great job young man!
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Glad to hear he is doing better!
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Excellent news to hear! Wishin all the best in a speedy recovery.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-21-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Great News!!! Sounds as though the worst may be over. I will continue to keep him in my prayers. Thanks for the update.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-21-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Just read this post... prayers are headed his way and im glad to read the awesome update!
Old    kidrik            05-21-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! You're not going to BELIEVE this one...... I leave the kid alone for a few hours, and this is what happens........ (see pic)

He's out of ICU, and they took him off of the ventilator..........and I think they must have capped his teeth??? If you go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/connorchavez/photos you will be blown away by the updated pics without the ventilator and other tubes!! He looks AMAZING! My son and many others have been emailing him constantly on the free caring bridge site!

I am close to having a wakeboard ready for signing, which I will mount in his room for when he gets home! Thanks for letting me share this moment with you! As a parent, this has been the most intense experience I've ever gone through, and still can't imagine how Connor's parents feel inside. I know that everyone is stoked, and looking forward to his return home!

Take it EZ!
Attached Images

Old    kidrik            05-21-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
P.S. That's Ms. California and Ms. Sacramento hanging with my boy!!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-21-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
Damn Rik I just saw this thread. So sad, but good to see he is doing much better! If there is anything I can do let me know!

KEEP IT UP CONNOR!!!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-21-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
in my prayers
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-22-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
My brother one of the Conner's and Cooper's friends (all three of them are in the same grade at the same school) was telling me about this... (keep in mind i haven't had time to read the entire thread) HE says that Conner and a boy a year older then him collided while jet skiing and he broke 7 ribs one puncturing his lung he was immediately taken to the hospital where in the middle of the night he stopped breathing and while putting him on a respirator the doctors punctured his other lung.
The whole story is really really sad and unfortunate i know it effects everyone differently but it really hits home for me (and RIk) knowing that this is one of my brothers friends and one of my wrestling students (for lack of a better word) and knowing that i probably have met and talked to Conner through school and everything.
Glad to hear he is doing well and just keep him in good thoughts.
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-22-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Now i feel like a dick because i spelled his name wrong the entire time its Connor not Conner.
Please look past that in my previous posts
Old    kaligirl            05-24-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Rik,

How traumatic this must have been for everyone. What a strong and amazing young man Connor must be. This is an eye opener for us parents, for sure. No matter how much water safety we teach our kids...our sport (and all other water activities) can be dangerous. I will continue to send positive thoughts Connor's way. Take care.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Amazing!! So happy he is doing better!!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-25-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
I dont pray, but sure hope this kid pulls through. Good luck
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-25-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
AMAZING!!! This hit's me also as a parent...

Keep going Connor!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-26-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
amazing recovery after nearly being gone.

prayer said for connor and his family and friends. stay strong.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-26-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Praying for the boy and the family! Hang in there man.....
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
Man, kids are resilient! especially Connor! That hit home wih me having a 7yr old son of my own... glad to see that he's doing well and gonna make it..everyone's thoughts and prayers must be working...see you out on the river soon!.......
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-26-2010, 11:07 PM Reply   
Praying for him...
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
wow thats intense, my thoughts and prayers go out to him and hope for the fastest recovery possible.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-28-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Glad to hear he is coming around!
Old    kidrik            05-28-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! Headed down with the family tomorrow to visit again, and will give him his get well board! I heard his recent lung surgery went well, and I will try and post current pics sometime this weekend. See you out there Jayson...

Take care, and be safe this weekend!
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-28-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
That is fantastic, great board he will cherish for life.

prayer chains are a real and powerful tool for recovery.
Walk humbly with your God.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-28-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
What an amazing recovery.
Old    kidrik            05-29-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Well, this kid is unreal...! He's in his own room, and he LOVED his new board! Connor looks great, but still has a ways to go. They actually did not do the surgery on his left lung, but fought off an infection in that lung with antibiotics. And yesterday, they tried removing the tube from his right lung, and that lung collapsed. So they put the tube back in, and will monitor closely. His six broken ribs will take awhile to heal. The nurses say he's the toughest kid they've seen! They say he only takes half of the medicine that others do when taking tubes in and out of his body, and other painful procedures.

Anyway, had a great visit, and he was cracking jokes and even flirting with the young nurses.. He is able to walk, and walked by without assistance for the first time when we were there. He has to push all his vitals with him, but it was a trip to watch. I took video, but have no clue how to download it... Thanks again to everyone, and check out these pics from today!!!

From flatline to THIS!
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
The stoke is ON!

Great news, thanks for the updates.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-29-2010, 11:38 PM Reply   
So how did he like the card ? Glad he's doing so well and hope the issue's with the lungs clear up quickly ! You can fill me in on all the details tom.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
What a great idea with the board.Glad to see he is doing so well. Props to him.
Old     (trinab)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Super Awesome!!! Gosh, that kid has a great smile! Rik, you and your boys are the coolest. Connor is lucky to have such good friends. We are keeping the prayers and good thoughts going for his recovery. If you need anything, let us know!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Wow Rik!! Way to boost his spirits...I'm definitely pulling for the kid!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers are with him.

That is one resilient kid!
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Saw Connor's story on the news couple nights ago! glad to see he has recovered well and is looking good! Mom doesnt want him on a jetski anymore, someone shud tell her that its much safer on a wakeboard!!
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       06-20-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
Great story. Glad to see things moving in a positive direction. God is good. Good luck Connor and enjoy your summer.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2010, 4:37 AM Reply   
Awesome
Old    kidrik            06-21-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone!! Well, here's the final update... Connor is home for good. His mom hosted a big pool party where he lives, and Channel 10 came out to do a follow up story on Connor. It was a trip, as this was his first time in the WATER since everything almost ended there. He was having a blast, and was glad to be back with all his friends and family!

One of the best parts was having the honor of giving Connor a bad azz gift that was set up by my buddy who I ride with, and fellow WakeWorld member, Jason Reidenbach. Jason had recently gone back to The Wakeboard Camp, and was able to hang and out and learn from some of the world's best! So he asked Ben Greenwood, (One of my all time favorites ) if he might be able to put together a little something for Connor... Well, a few days later, a shirt from the Camp signed by Ben, and all the other STUDS there, arrived just in time for his Welcome Home party! He was so stoked! Thank you Jason, Ben and everyone else involved! Connor is a special kid, and he appreciates all the support!!

Oh, and the firefighter who saved his life had Connor come to the station, and take a huge tour, plus, hooked him up with some gear, etc. Very cool. Not sure if the story is still on News10.net ?

Thanks again for all the WakeWorld love!!

Take it EZ
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            06-21-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
very cool !
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-21-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
SO glad to hear he is OKAY!!!!!!
Old    Chaserwaser            06-21-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
Dude thats fricken awesome! He is a good looking kid he is going to have a pretty rad story for the ladies lol But im glad he is up and kicking ! Talk about some good friends too, you guys are all awesome you def. made this terrible experience somewhat great for him with all the effort you guys put in! Awesome job guys... He will ALWAYS remember this and its awesome he has people like you guys around him and for him!

ps the reporters shirt is epic lol
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
Thats awesome!!!
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
That kid is the sht!