Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
WEll since I hit the Triad this Sunday.....IE BLew my ACL,MCl and Cardilage in my rt knee off a d-up. Long story short......Stomped it, hit the third roller, nice nuclear grab and smooth landing then continued to cut out and the knee decided it was done WHAMMMO! Never knew yuo could get so wrecked stomping a trick.......

WEll now is a good time To get the boat looking showroom again. Though it aint to far off anyways. It had some custom decals added to it in 02 but now a few years later I want to remove them and go with the classic clean look. (Guess I am getting old) I know the Gel behind the stickers will not be matching the regular gel. So was interested in how to go about blending those in. Like I said they were added in 02 so not too much time there. Figured some 3m Restorer and a high speed buffer should so the trick. What do you all think? Anybody have a recommendation on a high speed buffer/polisher that won't break the bank and is decent or where to get one from? I have been to the Home Depot as well as Menards and no luck.

Think I will be needing to wetsand? If so can you just wetsand a small area or do you have to end up doing a huge area to blend? It's in my white gel towards the bow. Any tips on how to wetsand properly or anything to watch for?
Thanks in advance Gotta keep myself busy with wakestuff even if I can't ride
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-07-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
You are gonna be doing major detail work with a blown knee? Dang! You are more of a man than I. No way could I do that standing on one leg.

Use a heat gun to remove the stickers, then something like Goof Off or 3m Adhesive remover. You should be able to go at it with a low speed sander/polisher for around $150. Get a good pad though. Use somehting like Finesse It III. Keep it moving with light pressure. Unless you stored the boat in direct sunlight, you should have no color differences.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-08-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Boat was kept on a covered lift for most of its time.

As to do the detail with busted knee...WEll I just did it last Sunday. SO I am in the early stages for sure. I am feeling pretty good and have some time on my hands til surgery so I will just pull up the lawn chair and buff away. Surpisingly the knee is only painful for the most part when I wake up in the am. By the end of the day it feels pretty good beside the fact I can't bend it so good. Gotta just roll with it and figure out ways to adapt. Figured now was a good time since any other day b4 the injury if I had time to work on it that meant I had time to ride Detailing like this as you know takes forever. Especially when ytou are as anal as myself Besides its like a secret getaway out there. (shhh don't tell my wife !:-))
Figure do one step at a time and see how it goes. Already got the goof off. Thanks