Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
Aright guys i have my system half way installed, im just waiting for some components and amps to get here and its finished, but for now i have a few pics of what i have been doing, i have 1 12'' rockford under the passenger seat with a RF P3002 Amp, under the steering i have 2 10'' pioneers, one got messed up so i painted it black ( they are being replaced by 2 10'' JL's)....... aright guys take a look and tell me what you think so far, the amp rack and battery possition is a little slopy but i plan on cleaning it up a little, please throw out any ideas or tips,,, if you see anything wrong let me know, thanks...

Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
give me a minute i gota resize my pics
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
aright here we go

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
nice
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-08-2006, 12:55 AM Reply   
wheres the tower?
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
i have a fli high for right now, until i get the money for a tower probly next season.

bummer
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Those Ski Challenger's throw up a sweet wake. My buddy has a V-Drive and the wake is comparable to my Wakesetter's wake.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
yeh they really do, specialy when i throw 2500 lb's of water in it, i bought the boat for 6000 with a craked engine block and another 3000 worth of repair and i had a boat, real good deal for a good boat.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Just a thought, I don't know how hard that 10 hits in the passenger compartment , but are you at all worried about it firing right into that amp?
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
that is a 12 under the passenger seat, and no im not really all that worried about it being so close to the sub, i think it can handle it and if it doesnt thats just a good excuse for me to go with the 12W6v2 and a JL 500/1 amp!!!!!
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
it seems as if the car audio buffs dont like my boat system, its not good enough for them?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164309
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
im waiting for your approval grant?
Old    thug_hunter            06-09-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
So, you're using a 2 channel amp to power three subs? Do you have an amp powering the mids and highs or are they powered by the hu? I agree w/the posts on car domain, but will add my own opinion. It's a ghetto system.

Atleast you have a goal to replace it with JL.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
i dont see how its ghetto, all the wiring is hidden, it all looks pretty clean, and everything works 100%
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Grant, im waiting for ya buddy, your boat inspired me to do this and i wana see what you have to say?

is it ghetto?

just tell me what to fix and ill jump on it, we cant have a ghetto system out there.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
If you are happy with system who cares what others think. The system you did doesn't even compare to Sound Illusions or a Neptunes install. There is nothing "Custom" about your setup. I did look at your profile and if you are really 16, then money could be an issue and that is understandable, believe me I know. I rocked an 72' glassply with 50hp outboard for 4 years during highschool, then upgraded to an 84' bayliner (16footer), then I got edumacated and bought my 04' X2. The whole system you installed may have been $500 max. Others installs on this post are easily over $2500. Now here is some advice to clean it up. Take the time and custom build your sub boxes. Also get rid of the 2 -10" subs and do a single 12" in its place. Try to hide the battery better, check out my post on my install. If you want more pics, just PM me. My install was cheap because I did all the work my self. Just take your time. and do it right the first time.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/330737.html?1149178738
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
i was going to build a wall in the passenger seat and put 3 12'' JL's in it but i cant find away to get a piece of MDF that big in that small hole, i would have to cut all the fiberglass away from the side and slide it in there and then put a new fiberglass coat over it, and i am only 16 and have no experience with the kind of work Sound Illusions did at all, but i do plan on doing this stuff my whole life as a hobbie or career, so by the time im like 27 ill send you all a post of a killer sound system install.
Old    thug_hunter            06-09-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
You spray painted your sub black, how is that not GHETTO.

(Message edited by thug_hunter on June 09, 2006)
Old    robertt            06-09-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
I think the system install is awesome. If you are 16 and did all that, mad props to you.

There are, as we all know, some incredible fabricators on here with MANY years of experience and a virtual unlimited budget. I think its hard to over estimate how much of a difference it would make if cost was not a huge issue.

Trying to ask those people and the people that are their clients how your system looks is like a NASA engineer to critique your backyard rocket.

Dont let anyone get you down, I think its a great job.

If you were close, I would hire you to clean up my install anytime. A few years and a few thousand dollars of disposable income will do you right.
Old    thug_hunter            06-09-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I recommend a single 12 where the driver's seat is as well. Replace the two Pioneer 10's w/a JL 12w3. Walmart sells Pioneer, that outta tell you something about Pioneer. The JL will sound much better as long as you have a good amp powering it i.e. JL 250/1. If money is no object, which doesn't appear to be your case, then do the 12W6 powered by the 500/1 mentioned above.

Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
thanks man, i appreciate the positive response. I wish there were more people like you on this forum.
Old    thug_hunter            06-09-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
Audio/Video installing is not rocket science. I started just like this kid, but with cars/trucks. I did my own install on every vehicle I've ever owned and even competed back in the day. I'm 32 now and will not settle for factory sound. Here is my truck install, which I did myself.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=6660

I've had no classes or training on anything even related to stereo install. I'll go out on a limb and say that my first install at age 16 was as clean as the install in my current vehicle.

I recently added a JL 250/1 to power the sub. Money was no object, but space was. JL is ALL I use and consider.
Old    bocephus            06-09-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hey Justin,
I give you props for actually doing the install. I got all the stuff in my garage but it just sits there. I haven't had the time or energy to do the install. Good job man! Happy boating!
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-10-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
does this look any better

Upload
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yes, it looks better.

I'm running into the same problem. I neatly installed sub box.....or storage space. I hate giving up the storage space.

I ended up hanging my sub from the bottom of the passenger dash.. It gave me back about 7 inches of storage under it.
Old     (mbw4462)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-10-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Most kids wouldnt know how to connect wires to a speaker i think installing a whole system and having it work and look as good as justin had it is pretty damn good
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
Yea seriously. I was 17 when I installed my first system. Who cares if it looks ghetto as long as it sounds good. He bought rockford fosgate speakers, most kids would buy cheap walmart stuff. Some of you are a little critical on sound systems. But my oppinion doesnt matter because I hate my malibu.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-10-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Just out of curiousity, what is the recommended airspace for the Rockford Fosgate sub in the pics above? That box in there looks huge - you could probably build a box for $20 in MDF, and make it half the size and it would probably hit almost as hard. Just a suggestion - I don't know anything about RF subs...
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
the recommended enclosure design for this sub was 1.405 cubic feet, and i did not buy it i went and bought 3/4 MDF and built it my self to fit the specs.

anyone want to see some pics of my boat at night?

last night i just finished some of the lighting i wanted done, im not even close to being done but i could show you a little bit tonight when it gets dark again.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   

Grant, im waiting for ya buddy, your boat inspired me to do this and i wana see what you have to say?

is it ghetto?

just tell me what to fix and ill jump on it, we cant have a ghetto system out there.

Dont you think thats a little overboard?

What if he says "it sucks" are you going to start cutting yourself or something? Did you make the install to impress someone, or to have music enjoyment while your out on the water?
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
well most of everysystem that has been built has most the time been for somewhat to impress people, now me i dont car much of what people think of it, it sounds way better then any boat on my lake so that good enough for me right there, and the other reason im asking for grant is because i know how big he is into audio and illumination and its fun for 2 people with the same hobbies to talk about it and show them what there working on.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
By justin roemer (overwaters) on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 7:32 am:

im waiting for your approval grant?

if you dont care what people think of it, then why are you asking for approval?

I guess im just not seeing anything original or custom on the setup.. where you have grant, who molds his own carbon fiber, builds a 1 off enzo tower box etc... your talking about a guy who makes everything 1 off and custom everything...
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
"if you dont care what people think of it, then why are you asking for approval? "

Hey Isaac...If you could read, you would see that he explained in his previous post why he was asking for Grant's input. So he didn't word himself that well previously.

Lay off the guy...You're 30 and an Engineer..Don't you have something better to do than give this 16 year old guy crap? What were you doing at age 16? None of us, unless you were a rich mommy's boy, had a decent amount of money to waste on a boat stereo at age 16. So what if it's short of a $30k Sound Illusions install. Justin did something that he took pride in and he did a good job with the stuff he had. Especially when you consider the mounting of the two subs under the steering wheel. The two subs may not be 12w7's and lack an acrylic bandpass, but they're as clean as a Sound Illusions Install.

If you're so insistent on ripping this guy why don't you bring pictures of your system to the table... Oh yeah, I guess you can't fit a 12" sub box in a weenie 16 foot bayliner with knock off Mastercraft graphics..

What happened to the culture at wakeworld? It's not good enough for wakeworld unless it's a $65k boat that's less than 8 months old with $35k of upgrades? Anytime someone does a DIY job that has any slight problem or short coming, people here are so quick to rip it apart. These same people are the ones who never post pictures of their projects, why? because they don't have the talent?

Just today, I was talking to a guy at the dock who had a 1977 boat with Chrysler Outboard, nothing special, a 16' four seater boat that had a height of probably 2 feet.. This kid had a machine shop extend his pylon to 9 feet. He went on and on telling me about the new seats he had put in it, how he had the pylon extended, how he was planning on redoing the dash. It was truly awesome to see someone so passionate about something. Sure it wasn't a SANTE, but this guy was probably 17 and he and his friends were out on the water and he was loving life. Isn't there something to be said for that? Something that's other than "I'm just not seeing anything original or custom."

(Message edited by yosquire on June 11, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
btw: Justin, I'd like to see your lighting pictures. I need some ideas for when I get ready to do my lights.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
aright only like 1 more hour and it will be dark enough to get some pictures, now like i said its not tottaly done so idk how many ideas your gona get off this but i think it looks pretty good so far.

thanks craig.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
You may know this, but: If you can adjust the exposure time (shutter time) on your camera, try proping your camera on something - a box, tripod or like, and set the exposure for like 10-15 seconds. pull the trigger and be extremely still. You'll get some really cool pictures if you do that.

The exposure time is usually read in fractions of a second, (ie: 1/60, or 1/90..something like that) set it so it's in the seconds range.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-11-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
RoberB--
Brutal!!!!!!! Give the kid a break.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-11-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
I will chime in here. About 3 months ago I got an instant message from Justin, I had NO idea who he was but he saw my screen name in my profile here on WW. I had answered a question in a previous post of his about stereo stuff and thats why he contacted me via AOL IM. I can tell you for a fact that 3 months ago Justin had NO idea how what a ground wire was, RCA cable, remote turn on, gain, ohms, etc, etc, etc...

We talked many times through IM about what is good stereo stuff to buy, how to install a stereo, and lots of other things. I spent a lot of time finding wiring diagrams, web sites with wiring info, and explaining to him how it all goes together. I know that it has taken him a long time to get his stereo equipment because he has had to pay for it all by himself (which isn't easy when going to school full time and being only 16) I personally think that he did a great job considering he didn't know a thing about stereos only a few months ago! I am sure that as he gets more money he will replace those 10's (not my idea to get those and I definitly didn't tell him to paint them )

Justin, it looks just great for it being your first install! If it sounds good to you, who cares what others think! Half the people (okay not half) on this site think that if you don't have wet sounds or NVS speakers, a few JL 12w7's and 4 amps in your boat that your stereo is crappy...thats just not true! }
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
aright if anyones still awake here is some pictures of a few lights i put in my boat so far, many more to come but ill show ya what i have right now.

the first one is kinda tricky, its the air scoop in front of the windshield, i dont know how many boats have them but mine does so i cemented a light up to it so it glows around the vent, the rest are pretty easy to tell what it is, i also put a light in the heater vent if you look by the steering wheel close to where the seat should go.

ill post more pics in a few weeks when i get it all finished.

Upload

Upload
Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-11-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Looks great!
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
i also replaced the instrument panel with red lights instead of white, i thought about makeing the instrument panel lights green or blue but i think all red looks good in my boat , correct me if im wrong.
Old    mendo247            06-11-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Justin nice job! i can appreciate all your hard work and jumping into an install like this.. as far as it being ghetto or people hating on it dont worry about it.. the only thing i would change is swap out the 2 subs under the drivers feet to match, im sure this is on your list already once you get the funds.... the passanger sub looks much beter now.. the lights look killer!

pat- so because i have wetsounds on my tower and four amps does this mean i think everyone elses stereo is crappy??? just because i have a big system dont go groupin me with the haters!!!
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
I think its also ok to tell this guy if something is sub par it builds character and will help him on his next venture , considering he asked,nothing is out of line here and I would hope he would continue to ask his peers for advice . I would encourage him to continue on and that less is better there is nothing worse than buiding a part just to hang it somewhere keep it clean and simple . I beleive this guy justin really wants to know how his stuff stacks up , just because he is 16 is no reason not to tell him how it is , if his peers provide him with staight honest answers when hes 20 plus we will be askin him what side is up .
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
here you go craig 12" sub in the little 17' mastercraft graphics knock off boat.

Ill appologise if it seemed like I was trying to knock his system..(which I never did) I guess what my message was, was that it shouldnt matter what other people think or "approve" of what you have, as long as it puts a smile on your face.

Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-11-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Richard, I guess I was kind of throwing a lot of people into one group with my statement, sorry. I have just read on here so many times where someone new posts a question about wanting tower speakers and he only has $500 to spend and people tell him to either forget about it or to pony up some "real money" and get NVS...things like that bother me. I know there is a select few who do that, but they seem to over power the voices of the many...thats JMO
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Don't fret about the haters, brush them off ya shoulders hehe. Anyway, great job. I also did my system, and its nice to have pride in your own work. As long as it sounds good to you, rock on! This site is a great resource for ideas and help, sadly you also have to deal with some negativity, but so it goes...
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
Justin,
Pimp work on the lighting! Looks awesome! I especially like the Air Intake Light and the Heater light, that's seriously cool! Just a heads up, if you're out chillin' or underway at night and you have a significant amount of Red light coming from your right-side air-intake, the good ol' Sheriff can write you up for improper navigation. Especially so, if there's any under aged drinking going on. Not saying you'd do such a thing, just don't give the five-o an excuse to turn a simple nav light thing into something really big....I digress..

The boat looks great, what lights did you use to pull it off?

Patrick,
I too have seen that where people will suggest a pair of NVS's and an 800 Watt amp right after they say they've got a budget of $500. It gets old quick. If people aren't interested in helping, then go on to the next thread.

In a strange way this thread kind of reminds me of "The Pink Poodle" thread. Where people ripped on Clay's boat because it has a touch of pink on it. Clay, at age 20, 1) Owns Sound Illusions, 2) Has a Sweet (probably $65k) Malibu, 3) Puts together, with Grant's help, some of this most killer systems we've seen. And yet, people have to find the one thing they don't like about it -- a pink stipe, rather than look at what's amazing about it.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
ooo, good call about the red light
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-12-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
yeh i might have to change the right side air vent to green so it will go hand in hand with my nav lights in the front, really dont want to switch the color like that, i have NEVER been stoped by a cop on the water in my life and rarely see them on my lake, so maybe ill just keep the red light and when they stop me be like yeh i didint think of that hahah, anyways im against drinking, i have plenty of fun without it so no worrys there.

as far as the lights i bought most of my stuff from murrays auto store and the auto zone, is what i used is a 15'' strip red LED bar under the steering wheel and to light up the sub ( im buying more for the side gunwhale to ) the lights in the instrument panel where the easiest, on my boat there are these little bitty light sockets that twist out and theres a white bulb in the socket, all i did was went to auto zone and replaced the bulbs with red ones, the lights in the air vents are the same as the lights on the dash, exept i had to buy a pack of bulb sockets to put the bulbs in then i wired it up and cut a little slit in the hose and stuffed the bulb in about 4'' back from the front of the vent, if you go to do this the bulbs i used where size 194 and same size for the sockets.

Now for the vents in the front of the boat, i couldint fit any size 194 bulbs up there so i did this, im sure you have all seen thouse windshield washer things that spray the washer fluid on your window, well they make thouse that have LED's in them for your car, well all i did was bough a pack of thouse and grinded off the post that goes through the hood to attatch it and then it was flat on the bottom so i took some JB Weld and pasted it right up under the air vent, it works really good for that application to because the light shines straight out.

another thing i did with my lights that you couldint see in the pictures is i bought this device ( fogot the name of it ) that picks up the bass in the music and turns your lights on and off according to the bass, i think its pretty cool i only have it hooked up to the lights under the steering wheel and the sub cuz i think if there where to many lights in the boat going on and off it would get me kinda pissed off, ha

well thats all there is to it, im glad you guys liked what i have done so far and ill be sure to keep all you who appreciate my work posted on my new installs, and i would like to see all yours when you get your projects going as well.

Old    mendo247            06-12-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
craig and pat- i understand your frustration about people only recomending very expensive tower speakers... i would be a rich man if i had a dollar for every time this question was asked

"im going to be buying tower speakers, i want to make sure the rider can hear them loud and clear behind the boat... what kind should i buy?? o yeah i only have $500.00"

and everyone always answers

"save your money the only thing you will hear lound and clear is a pro audio hlcd set up like NVS or WETSOUNDS"

all they are doing is telling the truth, and trying to help..
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-12-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
I have heard NVS and Wetsounds. I have also heard a bunch of 6.5"s on a tower. There is no comparison.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-12-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
aright guys my first pair of components came in today and i just got done hooking them up, they sound incredible. i have the tweeter mounted up close to the windshield and by the instrument panel,

take a look

Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-12-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-12-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
justin-
you really want to mount that mid woofer and the tweeter closer together. They are intended to be mounted separately (hence the name separates) but they are supposed to be mounted within a few inches of eachother. Good Luck with the install
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-13-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
they actually sound perfect right there, if you could see how my boat system lay out is you would understand, i know it should be closer but for the setup of my boat, this works the best.

thanks