Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I just wanted you to know that if you are coming down to the boat show MB Sports has some great pomtional give aways for the show. If you guys have any questions or just want to chat about the great new boats MB has to offer you can call me at the MarineMax store in Sacramento anytime, or come visit me in the MB booth.

Thanks a bunch, see you soon,

Mike

Mike McMillen
MarineMax of Sacramento
Special Events Director/ Sales Consultant
(916) 921-2628
mike.mcmillen@marinemax.com
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-22-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Which show Mike? Bay area?
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
Yeah bay area show
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-22-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
L.A. show??
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-23-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
no that is nothern california
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
are you going to be at the LA show also??
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-23-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
no but there will be a booth there
Old    byerly137pro            01-23-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
How much do MB B52s usually sell for, cause I rarely ever see any for sale.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-24-2005, 1:11 AM Reply   
There will be a MB booth at the LA boat show. Speak to John or Jeff. Tell them you were sent by Team Valdez. They are opening up a dealership locally in Lake Elsinore. The B52 is an awesome boat!! Check it out!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
60k...
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-24-2005, 9:25 PM Reply   
The cost of an MB depends on the size of boat and options you want. It also depends on the dealership you buy from. If you are serious about wakeboarding you want triple up ballast and two speed transmission it rocks, the 23' boat has one of the best wakes i have ever ridden
Old    jmo52            01-24-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
Mike is there a shape difference from the V23 to the B52?
Old    jmo52            01-24-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Wake shape that is.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
Mike have you ever ridden behind one of those, or are you just saying that.???
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Ha, ha, just F-in you. The 23 is sick. One of the best wakes I've ridden and definitely the best with the stock ballast only.

Now, where's my promo boat?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
mike, what's up bro?!?! mb??? you're gonna have to take me out in one!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-24-2005, 11:15 PM Reply   
MB has stepped up and is going to sponsor one of the Canyon Lake Wakeboard contests this year. There is a new dealership coming to Lake Elsinore. My boys rode behind the B52 and said the wake was sic. The triple up ballast system is awesome!!
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-24-2005, 11:37 PM Reply   
Dude MB has stepped up for sure, I think Cobe had a lot to do with that. There are two sizes if the B52 one is 21.5' and the other is 23' the 23 is such a sick boat. I have had both, and i think they are just sick, how many companies do 2100 and 2600 pounds of ballast in a boat. You can leave the dock with no sacs if you dont want to, but when you add sacs it gets even better, not to mention the boat still drives great with all that weight, everyone should drive it and ride behind it when looking at boats.
Old    jmo52            01-24-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
Mike whats up with the free lesson? My sister said you would hook me up.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
Why is Mb sport allowed to put 2500# of stock ballast and all other boats no more then 900#?

Do they have too make them more bouyant because of that?

Big Ed
Old    byerly137pro            01-25-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Are the relatively new or what? I rarely ever see one for sale, and I think the dealer in Ontario is pretty small.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-25-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
yeah for sure, just call me your sister has my number
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 10:45 PM Reply   
Does anybody know????
Old    jmo52            01-25-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
MIKE: That would be cool. I wouldnt mind checkn out that V23. Look forward to seeing you at the show

ALEX: MB sports has been around for a number of years(not sure how many exactly. Mike Brendel and his brother used to make Ski Brendellas.) MB's are a limited production boat. They only produce around 350 boats a year.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-26-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
MB is the spin of boat company from SKI BRENDELLA. MIKE BRENDELLA - MB. The way I hear it is that there was a small falling out within the family and Mike took things into his own hands and MB was born. Ski Brendella was a pretty good boat but they had some problems in taking care of their warranty issues. I have a few friends that own the B-52, and more and more are showing up on the Delta. MB has even sponsored a local Disco bay rider (so I hear). I like the weight and wake that it produces and it comes pretty trimed out stock. I have not yet gotten to drive the new 2-speed tranny but the reviews have been possitive. If I am not mistaken the B-52 comes stock with 1600 lb of ballast weight all under floor. The only bad thing that I can say about the MB is that it is a little slugish in handeling. It drives like a big boat. the price has gone up drasticly over the last 3 years.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
MB are nice boats, but did they get coast guard approve becuse I heard they weren't due to the amount of weight in the hollow floors where the tanks are. Do you know if they did Mike?
Old    justsomeguy            01-26-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
"A Capacity Plate is only required on monohull boats less that 20 feet in length (except sail boats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats) for which construction began on or after 01NOV72. "
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Soo.....

Does anybody know why MB Sport allowed to put more weight stock than any other boat
Old    justsomeguy            01-26-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
What makes you think that MB, or any other boat manufacturer, are only allowed to a certain amount of stock weight in a boat?

The CG regs re: capacity and allowed weight only apply to boats 20' or less, from what I have been able to find.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/part1/reg33_183_2a.htm
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
Because 900lbs is a popular # for all the competition towboats,I just think that if my x-2 or a SAN had 2500lbs of water by the flip of a switch ALL STOCK it would be hard to surpass so all I'm saying there must be more to it then that!!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-26-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I rode behind one a few weeks ago and it was the biggest cleanest 23 ftr wake I have ever seen. The boat only has a 96 in beam so the wake is clean. No sacs anywhere in the boat with the storage some only imagine of. Best stock wake on the market hands down. Cobe is really making a difference over there. It takes 2500 to sink that big boat anyway. Imagine if you were to run an extra 1000. The wake would have to be the biggest of all time. Mid 60's for the V23 with the 2 speed. Interesting driving the 2 speed as well. Saves 30% on gas consumption. Too big of a boat for me an my needs. The thing will hold 10 people comfortably.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-26-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
okay here is the deal...MB is not a spin off of ski brendella, it is a totally seperate company started by Mike Bredell. Gary, if your friends had warranty issues, send them my way aand i will get it taken care of, MB will warranty a lot of stuff if you take care of the boat... if your boat comes in in terrible condition he is gonna have a hard time helping you out. Who ever thinks this boat is sluggish or drives like a big boat, needs to ride in my 23. There is less rocker in the MBs so they are actually faster out of the hull, and i want to see anyone put 2600 lbs in there boat and see if it drives like a small comp boat. We used that boat on a private lake for the brochure shoot and for The Dark Friday Project and it handled better that any boat on a small lake. As far as price consider the quality of a custom boat, and look at the fit and finish compared to others, Mike takes pride in his work, hence putting his name on the side of the boat, plus the cost of resin has increaded over the years. You dont need coast guard tags on anything over 20'i could be worng though. Gary the disco bay kid sponsored by MB is me. If you want to ride in the 23 it is at my house for the boat show, I will show you how well it handles.

-Mike
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-26-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Mike....Your a pimp
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-26-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
haha...thanks, if you are being sarcastic i will beat you down
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-26-2005, 11:37 PM Reply   
Mike, did you pull the wet thursday contests? My boys rode behind the MB then and even in the chop, loved it.
Old    jmo52            01-27-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I love my MB, the thing handles like a hot rod. Ive never seen a boat that has this much storage space. I dont know why the other companys dont do the ballast under the floor? I had 8 people in the boat and nobody was in the bow,very comfy. Ok thats enough.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
My friends VLX has the ballast under the floor.. I think the Xstar has it under the floor too.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Yeah but we are talking 1250lbs at best..that's pretty weak!!I want 1000lbs on top of that!

I still don't understand...
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm with you..
Why don't more boat co's have a rediculous amount of ballast available. What a great selling feature that you don't have to have lead and sacs rolling around in your boat..
Good job MB.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
I can't believe that MC & CC are not doing that!!
That's why I think there is more to it then that,something that we don't know..........it doesn't make any sense.MC & CC pride themselves into making the best towboats possible why isn't this on their list!!
Old    jzwake            01-27-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'm sure the amount of ballast companies make availible in their boat stock is based on What Liabilities they want to assume.

If you throw an extra 2000lbs of ballast sacks in your boat and swamp/sink your boat, you look mostly resposible for the overloading. If The boat company puts the extra 2000lbs they look mostly responsible for the boat being overloaded.

Why do wakeboard warnings say not to hit objects, go over 20 mph, or only be used by an experienced rider?? Liability concerns.

We all know all this stuff doesn't always hold up in court, buts its a standard first defense.

CC and MC have no problem moving boats as it is. When MB with the very sweet 2100lbs ballast starts robbing them of market share, maybe then they will assume more liability to save their market share.

ALSO, My guess is most people who buy the boats feel 700-1000 lbs is plenty ballast for their causual wakeboard outings. Not everyone rides like some of us.

(Message edited by jzwake on January 27, 2005)

(Message edited by jzwake on January 27, 2005)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-27-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Hey Mike- Is that you in Alliance's full-page MB ad? Not riding but sitting in the boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Some boats would feel sacked out with that type of weight in them, which isn't the case with the MB. When you ride in the boat you can't even tell the ballast is there. They don't ride low, dip the nose, etc. They have a really well thought out and designed product and given time and advertising may start to take a chunk out of MC and CC. I gotta say, while I didn't like the 21 that much (may have been weighting issues, ie too much weight in the nose), I really liked the 23 and would definitely consider buying one.

Hey FATSAC, Yeah, that's Mike in that pic. By the way man... Give me a call. You should come down next weekend for the boatshow and superbowl party.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
JZ Wake ~ Good post,somebody with at least some kind of answer!!

Evan ~ IMO you should buy the MB cuzz I'm moving up there and we'll have a MC in the line up!!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-27-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Evan - I lost your number but will be in the area tomorrow.
I hear someone's offering free rides in an M3??
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
it's a FAT M3 too. Hey Evan where's my ride .

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
Did someone say let's test drive Evan's M3??
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
You guys are funny.... Stop jackin' Mak-Millen's thread.

Come up again and I'll take you for a ride. I'm just trying to figure out how to hook up a trailer hitch so I can tow the boat. I'm taking it to the track in a couple weeks. Should be fun.
Old    justsomeguy            01-27-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
More hijack...

M3s at the track scare me (watch those bearings )http://www.mtbvideos.net/video/boom.mpg
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
JZ is correct and while i havent had a chance to see or ride in the 04 and up models i can tell you this the earlier models up to and including the 03s i rode behind left alot to be desired..

that 2100lbs was a total illusion as the wake looked no bigger then any other boat with stock 900lb ballasts,,the wake was weird looking as it also foamed at the lip and seemed to have one wake inside the other..after all that you get a price tag that rivals only CC..

NOw like i said i heard they improved them but from what i heard the boats have lots more floatation in them so they can get away with the 2100 of ballast..trust me you still need to add just as much weight to the boat as any other..not sure about the 04s/05s but thats a fact that i witnessed myself...i guess ill take a look at htmne if they make the Dallas Show..
Old    jmo52            01-27-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
How is MB gonna rob the market when they only produce 350 boats a year. The facility that they produce MB's in will only at best get 500 out the door a year(and thats straight from the horses mouth. Mike brendell.)From what I gatherd Mike is in to producing a high quality boat with the things that wakeboarders want(ballast, storage,comfort and capacity.) MC,CC,Malibu all produce more in a week than MB does in a year.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
Bill montanye ~ I heard that somewhere and didn't know if it was true but thinking of it rationally I would think exactly that...that it needs to be more bouyant otherwise the 21' MB boat wouldn't be able to carry more than one passanger.figure 1600# in a 21'or 22' boat would be the capacity,going of that my x-2 capacity is 1615lbs and don't forget the gear.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-27-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
Mike M.
Just to clear the air, I was not intending to make it sound like a sister company. Later in the post I said that there was a falling out. Then to my understanding Mike started MB. And just to clarify the owners of MB boats that I know have had very good service from MB. It was Ski Brendella that had issues. Thisw is what I heard was part of the reason Mike left and started MB. I take most of the info with a grain of salt. I have not heard it from the horses mouth so things do get changed as they are told. IMO MB is a up and rising boat. Some very nice features and good wakes.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
I love to hear all of the god stuff about the boats...I didnt take anything personal, If i seemed condescending or rude I appologize, I just am quick to protect things close to me as anyone else...I don't want to turn into another Joe Umali...hahah just kidding Joe...Northern California Boat SHow starts tomorrow (Friday January 28) come see me in the booth and i will show you the sweet $2500 worth of gear you can get from MB when you buy a boat this week...
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-27-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
Mike, can I just get the gear? I already got the boat. Just kiddin, I will see you at the show.
Party on dude.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-28-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Can someone email me or tell me what John Cranny's phone number is? Team Valdez, anyone? I lost it.

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-28-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Sorry...again. Just some guy: That really looks like turn 14 at Thunderhill. Yeah the bearings are a joke. Apparently those motors don't like their 8k redline. Andway, 100k warranty on the motor leaves me not to worried. I've actually been in one when the motor let go. We were going into the corkscrew at laguna. It was 3rd gear, 7,800 rpm's or so, and bang. It wasn't pretty. Luckily there was a lot of runnoff in front of us. Cars don't turn so well when they have coolant and motor oil all over their tires.

OK, back to wakeboarding.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
HairbandDude, check your email, robyn
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-28-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Mike,

Do you know if MB puts enough floatation in their boats to float them should they become completely swamped? I would think that the 1600lbs. of ballast in the floor may critically limit the amount of space available for floatation foam. I couldn't find anything about it on the website.

I'm pretty sure Correct Craft and most other manufacturers install sufficient amounts of foam, regardless of whether or not it is required by the USCG regulations, based on hull length. I'm wondering if that could be the reason these other manufacturers don't offer as much factory ballast (because it wouldn't leave enough room for floatation foam, interior space, and normal storage).
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Salmon Tacos ~ BINGO. I believe you hit the nail on the head.
Old    walt            01-29-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   

Old    walt            01-29-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ticket Rebecca !
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Hey salmon, nobody puts foam in thier boats anymore... most boats will float to the rub rail unless they have lead or weights in them.

(Message edited by mikemcmill on February 01, 2005)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-01-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Mike,

I know that Correct Craft fills the floor with foam. You can see it right on their website. I also know that some brands on inboard boats will sink when completely filled with water, even without lead or other dense weights. I've seen the pictures. I'm guessing that MB is one of those brands. Do you know, for a fact, that an MB which does not contain any dense weight, will float when completely submerged?

I'm not saying it matters all that much in most conditions. Nobody wakeboards on the high seas anyway and a completely swamped boat is only a slightly better than a sunken one.
Old    jmo52            02-01-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
It dosen't have anything to do with foam. MB has more negitive space than other boats. My sister talked to Mike Brendell yesterday regarding the question" why can MB put more weight in their boats?" . I guess the coast guard regulate weight by a math equation,(which she will post in a couple of days) But basically it has to do with how deep the boat is below the chassis. I guess Mike said most boats are seven inches and MB's are 12. Like I said you'll get the complete answer in a couple of days.