Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    offaxisman            05-30-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
OK HERE IT IS. PIC # 2 IS FACTORY BALLAST FULL. 3 PEOPLE IN THE BOAT. I DONT THINK THIS PIC DOES ANY JUSTICE. I DONT KNOW IF WE HAPPEN TO B GOING TO FAST OR WHAT, BUT IT IS DECIEVING CAUSE THE WAKE IS NOT A TALL "KICKER" TYPE WAKE. IT IS A VERY SMOOTH TRANSITION. MORE LIKE A "RAMP." MAYBE IT IS THE LACK OF MY POTOGRAPHY SKILLS AND THE FACT THE THE PERSON WHO ZOOMED AND CROP THESE PICS CUT ALOT OFF. ( WASNT ME ) PIC # 3 IS "MAXXED OUT!" THE FACTORY BALLAST IS FULL IN ADDITION TO 2 FAT SACS ( ON EACH SIDE OF ENGINE ) AND 2 SIDE SACS ( UNDER EACH FRONT SEAT ) THERE WAS ALOT OF LABORING INVOLVED COMING FROM THE 6.0 LITER CADILLAC ENGINE. WE ONLY HAD A DRIVER AND A SPOTTER IN THE BOAT. SAME WITH PIC # 4. DRIVER SPOTTER AND "MAXXED OUT!" RIDER IS @ 82 FEET AND @ THE SET SPEED OF 27½ ( ACCORDING TO THE PERFECT PASS) IM NOT GETTING INTO THE PERFECT PASS SPEED THING AGAIN. IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE ON IT THEN GO TO "THE REAL '03 X-STAR WAKE REVIEW" POSTED BY DON BARROWS( MY RIDING BUD!) AND/OR "BOAT PICS" THERE THE ISSUE WAS DISCUSSED CONCERNING THE SPEED "ACCORDING TO THE PERFECT PASS." THE NEXT TIME WE DROPPED IN, I DECIDED TO TRY JUST USING THE 2 SIDE SACS ON EACH SIDE OF THE ENGINE. THIS WORKED VERY WELL AND NO I DO NOT HAVE A PIC. WE HAD 2 GUYS AND 3 GIRLS IN THE BOAT ( NICE RATIO, HUH?) LOL! AND A RIDER. IT GAVE THE WAKE A LIL BIT OF CURL THAT WE ARE ALL SO USED TO, BUT DID NOT PEAK IT OUT TO MUCH. I HAVENT QUITE FIGURED OUT THE PERFECT PASS SETTING, BUT WILL BE WORKING ON THAT. MY BOAT IS BEING USED AS THE "BACK UP BOAT" @ THE PRO TOUR STOP HERE IN DETROIT. I WILL ALSO BE RIDING IN WHICHEVER TOWBOAT IS BEING USED AS "ROPEMAN" TO THE COMPETITORS!!!!!!! SO THERE I WILL GET THE 411 ON WHAT THE TOUR BOAT USES FOR BALLAST, WHERE ITS LOCATED IN THE BOAT. THE PERFECT PASS SETTING ( IF THEY USE CRUISE. ) AND ALL THE OTHER "INS AND OUTS" OF THE PRO TOUR X-STAR SET-UP! AFTER THAT, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DIAL MINE IN AND "RIDE LIKE THE PROS!" LOL GOOD TIMES TO ALL!!! ENJOY YOUR SEASON AND BE SAFE. ALWAYS WEAR A LIFEVEST 2 !!!!!!!!
my '03 x-star
boat wake pic # 1
boat wake pic # 2
boat wake pic # 3
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-30-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Justin, it would be easier to read your post if you didn't use all CAPS. Nice pics, but you're right, they don't really do it justice. Dave just posted his review of the boat along with pics and video. http://www.wakeworld.com/reviews/xstar1.asp

For the Orlando stop, the Tour boat had about 300# of lead up front, and 2 half-full sacks in the rear lockers along with the stock ballast. The boat usually had 4 or 5 guys in the boat too - driver, photographers, ropeman, etc. The weighting of the boat depends on the depth and size of the lake though, so it won't be weighted exactly the same for each stop.

I'll be in Detroit shooting pics, so I'll say Hi.

Old    offaxisman            05-30-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
cool boat pic bill. sorry about the CAPS, but i was on a role with a train of thought! lol see ya in Detroit
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-30-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
Justin, your boat looks great, if you are ever looking for a third or want to try another lake I could get you on Upper Straits, shoot me an email.
Old    isaac_d_funk            05-30-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
I got to check one out.I really like the interior(looks different in person.The boat offer's a ton of room and storage space. At first impression I was not a big fan of the gauges or the new pickle fork bow. It's gonna take some getting used to and it's growing on me. The one that we looked at was loaded with everything that they offered and the price tag was a hefty 76k.I don't know if I'am a big fan of that either and I know that won't grow on me.That's a good 20-25k over the pimpest wakeboard boat out there.

I really like the green though.I don't know about the blue swim deck,I think the white one would look better but that is just my opinion.

I guess I'am going to have to ride behind one to know for sure but that wake looks pretty rampy but then again it could be the pics. I hope to get a run behind one soon!!!
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
Justin

Sweet boat. What lake are you on?

Joe
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
Could you measure the cockpit and the sunpad for me?

I want to compare it to my VLX.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-03-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
looks a lot like a malibu wake.

thanks for the pics
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
not to rain on the parade, 'cause I'm sure it's a sweet boat, and Justin, as long as you're stoked on it, that's all that matters...but, I thought the whole point was that there was finally a boat with enough ballast that you definitely didn't need any additional weight. I spoke with Zane Schwenk at the local boat show, he said it was crazy insane huge wake with stock ballast, almost scary. It sounds like we're still adding sacks and weight...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
It is a rampy wake.
Wide boats make rampy wakes.
Big boats are harder to sink.

The SAN bottom on the VLX top == perfection.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-03-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Sweeeet ride man -

??? What about extra board racks??? It looks like you will max out with 4 on that tower design?

Old    offaxisman            06-06-2003, 3:42 AM Reply   
AARON NIELSEN - Thanks on the "Sweeeet Ride!" Unfortunatly, it is limited to the 2 racks with this paticular design, but there is PLENTY of room elsewhere in the boat for boards. EXCELLENT profile pic, by the way!! TOMMY G - I was fortunate to ride with Zane and Andrew Atkins(I think that was his last name)(rookie of the year last year) in the tour boat yesterday here in Fenton MI. It was a great ride. The tour boat only used the factory ballast( for the mastercraft/CWB clinic) and it was alot of fun. I also feel that after riding in the tour boat and was able to compare, that im gonna try and drop a prop size or two(tour boat was 2 sizes down from my factory set-up) and also make sure that my speedo/perfect pass in calibrated via GPS as soon as I get it back from the tour this weekend( being used as the "back-up boat!") I have posted many insets on this site(THE REAL '03 X-STAR WAKE REVIEW - Don Barrows, BOAT PICS) and i have metioned the speed issue. It seems that I may have been running a little fast, so i was not "overly impressed" @ first with the wake, but after yesterdays ride behind the tour boat, I will be sure to make adjustments and I can assure you that you dont "need" to add any additional weight. I believe that I also metioned the injustice that the above pics actually do for the boat/wake ( NOT a "professional photographer") lol. We had sacs on hand to see what we could get out of it, but with the 6.0 liter and all that weight, the "Laboring" was "Overkill." In looking back @ the above posted pics, I can honestly say that ridng behind the tour boat with only using the factory ballast, that the "maxxed out" ( bottom pic) very much resembles the actual ride in which I enjoyed yesterday(as far as pics go). I know all this sound confusing. I have only got about 18 hours on the boat thus far and still "dialing things in" as we go. As far as him(Zane) saying "crazy insane huge wake with stock ballast, almost scary." I got that from him with the above metioned adjustments(lower prop pitch and additional added weight) but} who knows really. One mans opinion may be another mans complaint. JOE C - Thanks for the "Sweet Boat!" I have listed the area and lakes that we ride (mostly) on my profile. ALLEN OBLAK - Thanks on the "Looks Great!" Shoot me an e-mail sumtime. Lets ride! GOODTIMES PEOPLE! ENJOY and ALWAYS WEAR A VEST!!
Old    hockeyruss            06-06-2003, 5:22 AM Reply   
Justin, last year Wes was Wakeworld King with his Black Nautique Team Edition, this year it appears you have taken over as 2003 Wake World King!!!!
Old    oldschool            06-06-2003, 5:43 AM Reply   
Hmmm...blue and green? Aren't you worried about "dating" your boat with those colors. As in, it may look ok now, but 5-10 years from now you may be like "what was I thinking".
Old    mikep            06-06-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
That wake looks like it has a great shape. Boat looks killer too.
Old    wakelvr            06-06-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Justin: Props to you for doing something different! I think your boat looks WILD and I mean that in a positive way!

Good for you and congratulations on your SWEET purchase! If I had the money and the storage, I would have went with the X-star. Why not? If you have the money, go for it!

Cheers!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
justin, you shoud bring it down here (FL) and let me ride behind it.
Old    offaxisman            06-06-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
TIM KRUTZ - shur bud! on my way!! lol i think it would be easier and only practical for you to come to "butthead" i mean the boat!
STEFANI - thanks and wow! ( referring to your profile) everything a man could ask for. a hot chick and a cool boat!! always wanted a cool california girl! lol
PORTER - what else can i say but ditto on the boat ( oh and the escalade ) i bet you have some huge guns after wiping off the water spots on a black boat! lol very f n nice!
CRAIG - um, no. i posted to share, but i missed the part about "MY COLOR CHOICES/YOUR OPINIONS." maybe your (alternate name) (OLDSKOOL) fits you all to well.
WAKENUP - LOL
GOOD TIMES TO ALL and ENJOY YOUR SEASON!!
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR VEST!!
Old    oldschool            06-06-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
IF YOU DIDN'T WHAT OPINIONS ON THE COLOR THEN WHY DID YOU POST A PHOTO OF THE BOAT?

Old    markb            06-06-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
Probably to show off his new boat not to have people cut on him bout the color. Message boards kill me. Are you guys this critical in the flesh or is it the distance gap of the internet?
Old    chase            06-06-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
I'm confused. When and where did he ask for opinions on the color!?

Justin - very nice boat! Enjoy it!
Old    whitechocolate            06-06-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Cool Boat Thank's for Posting Photo's. Craig I think He posted photos of the boat because #1 It's His, and #2 It's New and #3 hardley anyone has seen one. All good enough reasons in my book. I think it was cool of him to post all that information, and Yes Mark is right. I totaly agree. Distance = courage,
Old    offaxisman            06-06-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
lol! need i say more than, "everybody likes something different" and thanks.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
i feel great with my boat that cost 13k instead of 80k and throws a wake that looks really close. but anyways that is an awesome boat nice wake to
Old    offaxisman            06-06-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
If you are referring to my boat, there has been some postings and it WAS NOT an 80k boat. I discussed this on the above metioned threads and this boat is only "approx" 9k more than an evenly equipped x-2 and for the record, it was LESS THAN 20k more than my previous 2000 x-star. go to one of the above metioned threads and you'll find that some one broke it all down option by option. he come up with an 8k difference. AS I ALSO SAID B 4, " DOES AN ESCALADE DO MORE THAN A YUKON, TAHOE &/OR SUBURBUN? NO, BUT IT SURE IS NICE!" LOL Anyways, thanks for the "Awesome" charley.
Old    offaxisman            06-06-2003, 11:30 PM Reply   
Also @ the time in 2000, the Nautique was the highest of the three major. ( Correct Craft, Mastercraft and Malibu) I, @ the time thought it was "silly" to pay any more then, but "anyways!" your boat @ age 14? hhhhmmmmmm LOL
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-07-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
post more pics!!!!! also give us a report on fuel efficiency when you get a chance. i'd like to see pics of the front and also all the storage... personally I don't like the green/blue combo but the green on its own looks shweet...
Old    offaxisman            06-07-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
WES, you can find plenty of pics on Wakeworld's "Review" of the X-STAR. http://www.wakeworld.com/reviews/xstar1.asp
I really don't know what to tell you on the issue of "fuel efficiency," it obviously varies. I can't tell you how many hours per gallon, nor do I really pay that close of attention. lol
I am almost forced to say that I don't care if anyone likes my color choices or not. If I did'nt have anything nice to say, I would'nt say anything at all, but hey, thats just me. When I was IN the PRO TOUR BOAT today(& going to be tommorrow) @ the Detroit stop as "ropeman," it was very cool to have Brian Grubb and Co. tell me that it "Looks Very Cool!" clipart{proud} I am not bitter in the least about peoples opinions on my color choices, but it is apparent(by my choice to "address" these opinions) that I have gotten some "comments" that I never asked for, is all. Just have a good/safe time people and be nice to people that may do things a little different than you. Dayum, this public posting S**T is rough!
Hey Bill J (sdboardr99), it was cool to meet & ride w/you in the PRO TOUR BOAT today. You Got to tell me where these pics you took are gonna show up!
Allen Oblak (aoblak), was also cool to meet you as well. Funny how small a world it really is, in reference to knowing the same people ;-)
GOODTIMES & GREAT RIDES PEOPLE!
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-08-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
Justin, as I told you in person, the boat looks great (even better in person). Yea it's a small world wonce you finally meet someone and realize you have mutial friends. I'm sure I will see yuo again today.

Allen
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-08-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Justin, didn't mean to cut you -- you obviously love it and that's all that matters ;-)

enjoy the boat,
Wes
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-08-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
i m dreaming of the day i have a big wakeboard boat. and yes i consider it my boat seeing as i will be taking it out in a few years. didn't mean to say anything offensive.
Old    jgs            06-08-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
What do you think of the new BoardRacks ???
Old    skimaster32            06-13-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
wake looks small?
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-15-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Justin, I am an old schooler and love the green color. It makes a statement about being different and wakeboarding is different right! You didn't buy the boat for others, so all those who are derogatory don't get a ride! Oh, and if you can afford the boat, who cares about gas mileage right! Nice ride! I do think they should prop the boat for wakeboarding stock or give you a choice of prop size. Enjoy!
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Justin,
I love your boat. I wasnt a big fan of lime green until I saw it at TSR a couple of days ago. I will probalby upgrade to a new x star at the end of the season. I have ridden a little behind the tour boat and all i can say is you are one lucky dude. I would also like to know if you have any problems with the boat on the first few hours. I knew all that could go wrong with my boat (02 x star) before i bought it, i still got it. I hope there are no big problems on this boat like there were with last years star. anyways.. congrats on you ride!

PD. Can anyone from TSR post a pic of the black and silver X2! I am considering that color for an x star. Thanks!!
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-15-2003, 8:47 PM Reply   
Wilson on here has a black and white X2. Sharp ride.