Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider017)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2010, 11:16 PM Reply   
As the title says I'm looking for a nice pair of bindings/boots (open toe)...

Currently looking at the 2010 Ronix District and the 2009 Ronix Frank. Which seem to be pretty much the same thing.

Figured it would be best to defer to you guys before making a purchase. How are Ronix boots? Is the baseless system good to go? Seems pretty neat!

Thanks!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
Ronix Boots are AWESOME!! The baseless system is very good to go. Loved the 2009 Franks and the 2010 Open Toe Kai's. If it were me, I'd go with the Kai's.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
How about toe slamming in the Ronix, I suffered some painful toe bruises in the LF watsons, mainly learning inverts and falling lots.
Old     (wakerider017)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-16-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9fxr View Post
How about toe slamming in the Ronix, I suffered some painful toe bruises in the LF watsons, mainly learning inverts and falling lots.
Well I was looking for open toe boots....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-16-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
wakerider017
hit the store and try both boots and others and see what feels best. if that is not possible then mybe consider getting the color that fits you and your board best after hearing a few more reviews/opinions ronix definately has a good name

...now if you don't mind i'm gona run with this slight tangent on closed toe...

ROBOT (and to anyone else)

for the sake of "toe slamming" in closed toe boots I would say IMO that ronix has the most padding in the toe area from the boots i tried at the last boat expo. i went to the expo SPECIFICALLY with this in mind, checking all the boots for padding in the toe box. i tried Ronix, LF, Hyperlite/ Byerly, CWB, Company, and recently i tried Gator. i can't speak for other companies, and again this is my opinion by feel in a store setting. Ronix is the best for preventing toe smashing in this year's line-up of closed toe boots

however, slingshot's original 2007 drivers have the most interior padding i have yet to see of any boot by far! the boots naturally look bigger though due to this

As of RECENTLY however, i am going to start recomending to those concerned with toe smashing (like me and you) is to buy a size or two too big and then buy some neoprene booties to take up the space, essentially adding more cush all the way arround. a buddy of mine did this with his boots and it is AMAZING!!! adds additional warmth too for these past cold early spring days for my sensitive feet. this is something that could possibly be considered when buying open toe too if you hit that cold water, adding some of those closed toe benefits to an open toe. another benefit is that on falls the neoprene booties make comming out of the boots more friendly IMO

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-16-2010 at 3:49 PM.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
[QUOTE]As of RECENTLY however, i am going to start recomending to those concerned with toe smashing (like me and you) is to buy a size or two too big and then buy some neoprene booties to take up the space, essentially adding more cush all the way arround. a buddy of mine did this with his boots and it is AMAZING!!! adds additional warmth too for these past cold early spring days for my sensitive feet. this is something that could possibly be considered when buying open toe too if you hit that cold water, adding some of those closed toe benefits to an open toe. another benefit is that on falls the neoprene booties make comming out of the boots more friendly IMO[QUOTE]

Where I do agree with you that this would be nice if you often ride cold water but the reason for Toe Jam is usually badly fitted bindings. People buy a boot that fits like a shoe when new then when it packs out they develop "wobble" room letting there foot move around eventually jamming it up against the toe cap. If you buy a boot thats pretty tight when new then it'll pack out to be very supportive and absolutely no foot movement. Plus this also gives you much better response with your board.

I've never ever had any remote sign of toe smashing in my boots. I have a wide size 12 foot and will get a 10 or 11 boot ( Ronix Ones)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2010, 12:03 AM Reply   
^^^true that. sizing IS indeed important, but i know of people who had the right size but had just the right...or rather wrong angle of landing and got their toes hurt (not ronix boots though). I put on a bunch of boots and kicked the ground with them on and there is definately a big diference between companies of boots reguardless of size. you put your hand inside some and feel around in the toe box and some boots have only a layer of lycra (or whatever) that seperates your toes from the harder synthetic leather outer shell and there is virtually no padding.

another thing that i noticed about ronix boots that were nice, reguarding the toe box is that the outer shell material is not as hard as most and so it gives a bit when one might hit the wall... or in my case of my (potentially biased) testing, kick the ground with them on.

maybe i (and these other people) just have sensitive toes. hahaha

p.s. you can sometimes see a difference from year to year of the same brand of boots. generally the trend is that the liners are getting thinner and thinner each year... possibly to keep up with the "my booots are lighter/ less-bulkier than your boots" battle

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-17-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2010, 2:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the insight Jeremy! Just re-affirms my belief that the Ones are pure awesomeness! hahaha.