Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I've had CTI custom braces for about 6 years now and have never really been excited about the way the straps hold you in the brace. I've ordered brand new straps straight from Ossur and was promised they would do well and they still sucked after a while. Not to mention the straps are $50 a brace and I'm replacing them almost every season.

I was just posting up to see if anyone had come up with their own solution to getting the braces to stay on you really well when your riding. Aftermarket velcro straps, nylon backpack strapping with plastic clips or buckles? It just seems that there is a better solution than what comes on the brace. Riding 5-10 sets per week, the straps become junk pretty quickly.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
I use duct tape over the straps on all of my braces.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Hey Brandon... I believe the replacement strap kit is $30. Also, if you are riding 5-10 sets a week... even if only half the year... that is over 200 sets. That is quite a bit of wear-and-tear for any product or material? Hook and loop (aka VelcroŽ) and soft strapping have many benefits: easy to take on and off, adjustable, strong, etc... there just isn't a comparable material from a benefit standpoint that won't wear out.

For instance, take your car. Certain things need to be replaced every so often: belts, hoses, tires, etc...

Here are some things I would suggest to prolong the life of your straps:
1. re-fasten the straps down after you use the brace.
2. rinse them off with fresh water.
3. air dry the brace - not in the direct sunlight if possible.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Find Jakobar on here.
He has taken his braces (yes 2) and modified them with snowboard binding straps. They work incredibly well and he does put them to the test with some pretty big moves and even bigger crashes. I am sure he would be happy to share.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
5 years on my custom cti and I ride 3-5 times a week, about to get my third set of straps, so mine have held up pretty well
Old     (woundedknee)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
I took the velcro piece off at the end of the strap, and replaced it with a wider and longer piece.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-17-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I agree the straps are crap. I've had a few replacement sets now - except over here is aus they cost around $100 per set!
the other annoying this is they won't usually mix and match different strap sizes - which sux given it's a custom brace...
ie I need small straps on my upper leg and medium straps on my lower leg - I'm not paying $200 everytime i need a new set!
the other problem is that these straps will stretch slightly in the water - no doubt it makes them more comfortable for mx and other non watersports, but it doesn't work too well for wake. Brett - maybe they could look into a better alternative for watersports?
so yeah, if anyone has some good alternative ideas I'll be keen to hear about them too.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
my advice is talk to your local CTI sales rep, a good orthopedic surgeon should be able to get you a contact.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
The CTI Straps are CRAP!!!! I used them for one season and had to order new ones ($50 per brace, a joke) and mentioned to the reps that they simply do not hold the brace in place, I needed heavier duty straps. They sent me the same ones. You would think they would offer thicker ones for more applications.

CTI Rep where are you? I noticed your on myspace now, I noticed you are advertising on Wakeworld now, Since the company was bought by Ossur (Icelandic) they seem to have changed some with customer service requests.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I took the ones just above and below the knee off my Donjoy & moved them to my CTi. They have been holding up for 3+ years now. (Still have to replace the top and bottom one once a year though!)

I have to agree that for such a great brace, the straps are just not durable.

(Message edited by wakekat15 on May 18, 2009)