Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-07-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Just want to share my excitement. After busting our asses, my wife and I have spent the last 2 years paying off our credit cards, my truck, and just two weeks ago, our house. After all of this, I finally felt comfortable getting a boat. It's been a very long process, and I have wanted my own boat since i started riding 10 years ago.

Needless to say, I am beyond excited. Found a 2009 Malibu VLX and drove 800 miles round trip to test drive it last week. I will be going back to pick her up next weekend as soon as the inspection/compression test is completed. This is the best birthday present ever.

Working with the guys at Singleton Marine out of Georgia has been a true blessing. Believe it or not, my wife and I were denied the loan from Bank of America despite my 826 credit score and an 802 on her end. Our DTI when we applied was under 6% also! I was shocked that we weren't able to get it financed. Bank of the West will be doing our loan though. Wish me luck with the drive!

Last edited by matty_gs; 11-07-2012 at 2:05 PM. Reason: .
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-07-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
That is one very sharp boat. congrats
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-07-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Looks NASTY...i like it
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-07-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Micah, I will say that reading your story on the MB almost had me switched over!

Thank you Funky. I will have many more pictures after I thoroughly detail it. It's going to be hard to winterize though!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-07-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
That's badass man! Congrats
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-07-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Well i like what you got fore sure...probably one of the best looking Malibus i have seen
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-07-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
O man that is AWESOME! Great choice in colors and them dark windows!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
so sick. love the tint on that thing.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-07-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Holy wow! That is a sharp looking boat.
Old     (hypripper)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
That looks awesome! One of the best colors I've seen good pick
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-07-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Nice boat. But do wonder why you got turned down on loan. If your house is indeed payed off did you look at a home eq loan? Seems like you have no tax deductions so a home eq loan maybe better than a used boat loan.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-07-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
AGE maybe......they say it doesnt effect anything, but it does, the younger you are the harder it is to get a loan. i only was approved by 1 of the 4 banks we tried
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-07-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Wow... amazing first boat!!!! Congrats
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-07-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Boat is wicked...tint was a great addition!!
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Beautiful boat
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-07-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
Great looking boat.

As a side note I would figure out why you were denied credit if those were your scores with virtually no debt. The only factors I could think are your income vs. the amount of the loan or that you financed more of the value than BoA wanted. Could also be that you don't have any prior vehicle credit of close to the amount you financed. BoA are not usually one of the tougher banks to qualify. Most financial things are very personal so I don't expect you to post up why, but you really should figure out why you were denied. With you both over 800 you should only ever be denied for Debt to income. So if that was 6% there is another issue and I would want to know why.
Old     (NOBODY)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-07-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
Now you get to go back into debt on this piece of junk.....are you kidding me??
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-07-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
Ive come realize after your last 2 posts ^^^ you're not a fan of Wakesetters

Dont rain on his parade!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       11-07-2012, 4:29 PM Reply   
Wow, that is an awesome looking boat! I wish my first boat looked like that All that black on black on black is sick!!!! Congrats
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-07-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Sick Boat!
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-07-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
very nice congrats one the new ride! there is only one problem with that boat, its hard to upgrade from that!!! lol hella starter boat!!!!
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-07-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
and you story goes along with my fav saying. the guy who said " good things come to those who wait" was very WRONG!!! "good things come to those who WORK their azz off for it"!!!
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-07-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the of comments. To give some of you guys more information. The reason I was denied by BOA was because of a lack of large purchases on credit. The highest loan before this was my f-150 which came out to about half of the value of the boat. We have the truck off in 15 months. The house was in her name alone, since she owned it before we started dating, so that hurt me a bit. Also, being 27 didn't help.

Either way, I am very excited. Now I am just ready to get the damn thing.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-07-2012, 11:01 PM Reply   
Great boat. Will be worth every penny. You both are what makes this country great. Does not matter whoever lives in White House we move forward and take risks.
Old     (alw041)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-08-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
Matthew,

Did most of your difficulty finding the the loan have to do with lack of big purchases or do you think it was more about age? I'm 26 and my wife and I are looking to buy a boat in the 50-60k range at the boat show this year. We bought a house about 3 years ago, a truck about 2 years ago. So I think we have the big purchases on record. We make a very comfortable living, and just paid off all of our credit card debt. We plan to pay off the truck in the next 6 months. Our DTI score is nowhere near yours. I was wondering if any bank would even give us a loan. We also plan to put about 8-10k for a down payment.

Last edited by alw041; 11-08-2012 at 4:34 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-08-2012, 4:43 AM Reply   
Sexy boat - congrats!

Pretty legit to have your house paid off by 27..
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-08-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=alw041;1793531]Matthew,

Did most of your difficulty finding the the loan have to do with lack of big purchases or do you think it was more about age? I'm 26 and my wife and I are looking to buy a boat in the 50-60k range at the boat show this year. We bought a house about 3 years ago, a truck about 2 years ago. So I think we have the big purchases on record. We make a very comfortable living, and just paid off all of our credit card debt. We plan to pay off the truck in the next 6 months. Our DTI score is nowhere near yours. I was wondering if any bank would even give us a loan. We also plan to put about 8-10k for a down payment.[/QUOTE

Im gonna answer this one too....me and my wife (26 and 23) just bought a boat, about same price range, about 2 month ago. Only 1 of the 4 banks would give us a loan and that was with higher ihnterest rate, but not to high. Like you we both have good jobs and make comfortable living and all we have is a house payment and truck payment. So i do think that age has something to do with it, but i also think with it bieng a recreatinoal loan has alot to do with it also. I was told since it was my first one and it was a big one that they are hard to get approved sometimes......but i still think alot has to do with age.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-08-2012, 4:55 AM Reply   
our credit score was around 780 for both of us just FYI
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-08-2012, 5:05 AM Reply   
They can't discriminate on your age. It has nothing to do with approval processes (not directly).

One of the factors *IS* the length of your loan/credit history.. Which is simply difficult to overcome while young.. If you started with credit cards, student loans, etc right when you were 18 - by the time you are 26 you have some substantial history.. But if you are the "pay cash" types or didn't borrow til you are early/mid 20's - it is not your age but your history of credit.. The same response would be given to someone who was 40.. If you used nothing for credit at all until you were 37 - you would run into the same problems.. Your credit history would be short..

You're looking at a lot of factors in financing (anything)

- What are you financing?
- Credit Score
- Credit History and Mix (revolving, LOC, government backed, etc)
- DTI
- Balance to Limit Ratio (which effects your credit score)

None of it is based on your "age" - but part of it is based on the "age" of your accounts/credit history.
Old     (alw041)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-08-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
I took out student loans and had a credit card at 18. My credit score is a high 700 and my wifes a mid to high 700. Its been a while since we checked. Are we better off looking at local banks for loans? Also, would it look better to a lender for me to pay off my truck or to have a bigger down payment? We are both 26 if that matters.
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw041 View Post
Matthew,

Did most of your difficulty finding the the loan have to do with lack of big purchases or do you think it was more about age? I'm 26 and my wife and I are looking to buy a boat in the 50-60k range at the boat show this year. We bought a house about 3 years ago, a truck about 2 years ago. So I think we have the big purchases on record. We make a very comfortable living, and just paid off all of our credit card debt. We plan to pay off the truck in the next 6 months. Our DTI score is nowhere near yours. I was wondering if any bank would even give us a loan. We also plan to put about 8-10k for a down payment.
Bank of America flat out told me it was because of the lack of large purchases. I have had a single credit card since I was 18 which I was religious with keeping around 10% on it each month and paying it off. I continue to keep a small balance on this, but now I am on a credit card with my wife that we use for miles and is totally paid off each month. Bought my truck last August and paid it off within the last month. It's been a long long road to get to this point, but having the boat and not worrying about the payments will be a huge blessing. Like I said, I would doubt if we paid this for more than 5 years and still being completely comfortable.

What got me through these years have been awesome friends who have had great boats. It's time for me to pay them back. Good luck with everyone searching right now. I didn't want to get a boat when I was later in life, and I feel very happy with the way we have been able to do this.
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2012, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw041 View Post
I took out student loans and had a credit card at 18. My credit score is a high 700 and my wifes a mid to high 700. Its been a while since we checked. Are we better off looking at local banks for loans? Also, would it look better to a lender for me to pay off my truck or to have a bigger down payment? We are both 26 if that matters.
Allen, I can't answer that definitively, but I will say that for us, we used a combination of both. I would have been terrified to pay my truck off and the purchase the boat with a small payment and just a couple grand in the bank. On the same hand, I didn't want to start doubling and tripling up debt. This is the reason I am very happy and comfortable with the boat.
Old     (BrtnDan)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-08-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
I'd recommend establishing a relationship with a local bank, ideally one that caters to "wealthy" clients. Savings account, checking, etc. Relationally drive banks tend to be much better options than "big" banks for things like boat loans to young people (speaking from experience).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-08-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
That's a really sexy color scheme. Would look baller without the wakesetter graphics I bet.

Good Luck with it, I am sure you have a lot of highly enjoyable boating times ahead of you.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-08-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
^Agreed, strip those wakesetter graphics and it will be perfect! Congrats!
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-08-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
Congrats, that boat looks fantastic! Similar to mine if I had went black with the hull instead of white. I would not remove the wakesetter graphic, I think it adds just a little bit of contrast which is needed with that much black.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-08-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Ive come realize after your last 2 posts ^^^ you're not a fan of Wakesetters

Dont rain on his parade!
Seriously. Guy is clearly just a troll who craps on anything (CC, MC, or 'Bu) that's not a freakin polka-dot Tige.

http://www.wakeworld.com/uploads_use..._1135_zoom.jpg

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
Congratulations! I had a 2009 with almost the exact same color scheme.

I understand the boat loan game. It is a mess. I paid off two boats, made all of my payments on-time with bank of america--sold the boat for profit and planned to apply the profit to the loan on the new boat and was denied! I was an existing customer. I ended up going to the small bank I do my business loans with and got a much better rate. 6%
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-08-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Beautiful boat, you're going to love the wake on it.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-08-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Very nice boat, and I hate black on boats. Congratulations! So Singleton gave you a good deal or a smokin deal?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
beautiful boat! if you're at all thinking of stripping the decals, mine will at least give you a sense...
Attached Images

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-08-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Allen you are very likely going to run into problems with the big banks. Whether you pay off your truck or not isn't going to matter much unless it's DTI. The issue is going to be that you have never had a big long term loan for a toy. A house is different because if times get tough you will pay it where with a boat it's the first thing you will let go. I would do like some have said and work with your bank or establish a new relationship now. Pretty embarrassing to make a few trips to a dealer, then demo and go to sign the papers and you can't get approved. Down payment helps in the sense you want to borrow as little as possible against the loan value.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
I took out student loans and had a credit card at 18. My credit score is a high 700 and my wifes a mid to high 700. Its been a while since we checked. Are we better off looking at local banks for loans? Also, would it look better to a lender for me to pay off my truck or to have a bigger down payment? We are both 26 if that matters
Putting the big payment down will go further. One of the biggest things the banks look at is LTV% (loan to value) so if they get it back where will they be sitting in it. Additionally, a large cash committment shows them you are well invested in what you are buying and can assist in getting you a lower interest rate. Also believe it or not banks don't always like to see consumers that pay things off quickly. They're getting involved in this venture with you to make money so the longer you pay the more they make.

Rec loans have gotten harder and harder to get since Comrad Obamas recession. They are much riskier to loan on then homes or cars since they are quite likely the first thing a consumer is going to quit paying on when tough times hit them.

Sick ass boat! I love everything about it.
Old     (alw041)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-08-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
I want to put about 10k as a down payment. Is that enough on 60k loan? I have a local credit union that I am a member of. They are the ones I am financing my truck through, and I also have a savings account with them. Would that be defined as a good relationship?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-08-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
It just depends. If you buy a 60K used boat that is worth 60K, then add tax, title, license, etc you tax and fees are $5K. So now your 10K down only amounts to about 5K which is just over 8% of value which I would say probably not.

I would sit down and talk with a loan officer at your credit union and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to "pre" approve you for an amount you qualify for. They can also tell you how down payment amount will increase that. You may also consider buying new as with the inflated MSRP values it looks better. You take a boat with an MSRP of 75K and buy it for 60K and then put 10K down and loan 55K with taxes and fees and now you have 26% down instead of 8%. It's smoke and mirrors but makes a difference on paper to the bank.

Hijack over....I love the boat. Makes me a little sad we just couldn't work a deal on a Malibu.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
I want to put about 10k as a down payment. Is that enough on 60k loan? I have a local credit union that I am a member of. They are the ones I am financing my truck through, and I also have a savings account with them. Would that be defined as a good relationship?
Tpically yes. 10-20% down is good but again it comes down to the book value of the boat. If it books for 70k and your borrowing 50k then you're doing great. Not all lending sources are in the REC equipment business so make sure they are and what the parameters are i.e % to book.
Old     (alw041)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-08-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
My plan is to make a custom order on a boat that has an MSRP around 68k. I am hoping to get it to 60k out the door using boat show incentives and working out a good deal. So hopefully a 60k loan with 10k down with a boat that is valued at 68k. Would that sound better for a loan? Sorry for the hijack btw. Badass boat, very jealous.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-09-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
They are right when talking about large purchases on credit history. My first boat was the hardest to get and it was half that price but when I sold it and went to get another I had a lot more banks to choose from. I used Bank of the West as well as they are more familiar with these types of loans. I use Wells Fargo and they couldn't give me anything less than 15% which I laughed at and they wondered why.

Awesome boat though. Get some hot sauce to clean that bad boy with, you won't regret it.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-09-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
saw that thing on OIB... absolutely gorgeous... congrats to you and your wifey. Enjoy.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-09-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
That thing is off the hook! Congrats
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-09-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
My plan is to make a custom order on a boat that has an MSRP around 68k. I am hoping to get it to 60k out the door using boat show incentives and working out a good deal. So hopefully a 60k loan with 10k down with a boat that is valued at 68k. Would that sound better for a loan?
Yes, if you landed at 60k with 10k down you'd be at 17% down. You could also have the dealer "blue sky" some down if you wanted. He can keep the sale price at 68k and say you are putting your 10 down plus an additional 8k (blue sky) which would be 27% down and you finance the same balance. I doubt that would be necessary though.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-09-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Credit Union- apply at a credit union. they are usually the easiest to work with. I use a credit union for all my loans when I have them and Wells Fargo Private for wealth management, seems to be a good combination.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-09-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Not a good idea at all!!! What about tax? Do you really want to pay tax on this "blue sky" 8K. Don't do that, plus most dealers aren't going to do something like that because it's fictitious and not ethical. It isn't unethical to tell the lender what the MSRP and base the loan off that. Remember you pay tax on sales price. Then you have the fees, license and all that on top. So on 60K your looking at about 5,000 in all taxes/license/fees. So if you put down 10K half is already gone. But your still around 13K loan amount under MSRP so it should work out. At the numbers your shooting for your only about 12% off MSRP you should be able to do better at boat show time IMO. I just bought 2013 and did much better than 12% off MSRP.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
What about tax?
Yeah if your pay tax where you live then it doesn't work.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-12-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Any time you buy from a dealer new or used your paying tax. Here in MN we don't have to pay tax on used from a private party. A lot of states still do though, I know California always pays tax no matter used new or who from.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-13-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Its state to state. In my state we pay tax on everything I however don't so long as I take delivery on tribal land because I'm Native American.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have to say, that is one of the sickest looking bu's I have seen. Very very nice!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-15-2012, 5:36 AM Reply   
Sick boat... I think Malibu wears red better than any of the others. Enjoy!
Old     (jacob5)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-15-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Congrats Dear, It is awsome one, Best boat i even see. Enjoy......
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-15-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Congrats!

Beautiful boat!
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-15-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I was denied by every major bank with an 800+ credit score.

USAA approved me instantly online @ 3.49%
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-15-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Is that Chris Alexanders boat??? that thing is so sick looking!!!!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-16-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
This thread is boring... Post more pics of your new Bu!
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-16-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
Sorry fellas, pulled it from Atlanta to NC today and didn't have a chance to get good shots yet. Tomorrow morning I am hitting it with hot sauce, vinyl sauce and vinyl conditioner before taking it out. I will definitely get some pics.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-16-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
Excited for you!! Wish it was spring here!!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-16-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
Several of the big banks got hammered about 3-5 years ago on consumer loans. For a while, Bank of America, for example, would have handed out a loan to a plant. Then, the economic downturn hit, and consumers started defaulting at a high rate, leading to large losses for banks that had large consumer lending portfolios. Compounding the problem was that during the worst of the economic downturn, values for things like boats and cars tanked. Keep in mind, a boat is a large, depreciating asset, so even though the LTV may not look to bad at the start, you'll likely end up under water at some point. Banks don't like that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-16-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Pretty much anything you buy(loan money on) is going to be under water at some point with the exception of maybe a house. Boats took a hard hit, but for whatever reason tow boats seem to be the one type that actually appreciated during the recession. Has something to do with the 100K price tags we are seeing more and more. Banks got hammered far harder on mortgages than consumer loans as the losses are far greater and much harder to manage and resell. But you are right credit is far tighter today than it was before the crash.
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-17-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Bank of America and Wells Fargo are being sued by the federal govt for bad loans and the bailout.
I would stay clear of both of them for a while. We were offered 8-10% rates on a 2013 boat. I'm not paying 8-10% so we saved up for 6 months and paid cash rather than lett the banks make that much.