Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-13-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
What boat handles the worst around the dock? An inboard, outboadr or I/O.}
Old    trigx5            07-13-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
all depends on the driver.
Old    walt            07-13-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
Inboards are hard to turn in reverse
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-13-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
You can steer an I/O and outboard in revers which does help in most instances, but once you know your inboard you can manuver it into alot of areas quite easily. The inboard takes more practice.

I think Joel nailed it with it depends on the driver!!
Old     (sbayboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-14-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
I had an I/O and it was simple enough to manuever back and forth. But now I have a V-drive and find it quite a bit easier after I learned how to it reacts to everythning (wind, current, and gas of coarse.) Just remember to go slow after all your on a boat relax!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
PWC's are the worst not only in docking situations but any situation that arises in a body of water.....

Otherwise, inboards once familiared are very simple to operate and maneuver.
Old    clint_h            07-14-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
An I/O handles much better around the dock no matter who is driving because you can steer it in reverse. That said once you get the hang of the Inboard it's not hard you just have to be paying attention. You also have to be careful about how much weight you have in the boat, if your loaded down - it makes driving a little more difficult.
Old    debsxstar            07-14-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
I have an Inboard and it takes practice. If there is a strong current around a dock it can get tricky for me. I always seem to approach kinda "fast" to keep control of the boat because it will start drifting and taking on a will of it's own! (lol) I have to start practicing manuvering the rear of the boat by turning the steering wheel in the oposite direction I want the boat to go and then putting it in reverse. Then making the correction for the bow of the boat right after. It just takes some concentration. Like backing up a trailer isn't complicated but you have to really pay attention to what you're trying to do and move the steering wheel in the opposite direction to where you want the trailer to go!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
It's all in the driver.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-15-2003, 6:15 AM Reply   
This is like going to a Corvette forum and asking which vehicle goes off-road the best.

I'm sorry but the driver has nothing to do with it. I'm on my 3rd inboard and have had every type of boat in the past 20 years and no inboard can navigate at marina speed like an I/O or an outboard. There is just no substitute for being able to turn the entire rudder *and* prop. Whether your in reverse/forward or any other direction.

This is one thing we give up for *all* the other benefits of an inboard.

This site: http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/drivetrain.html has a good description of the pros/cons of the various drivetrains if your really curious.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2003, 2:43 AM Reply   
Thats how I feel about inboards. Thank you Grant.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
You guys are funny. I can rotate my inboard on-axis in a complete circle while only moving forward or reverse +/- 1 foot. It took probably a year to really perfect driving the inboard but once you know what you're doing, it's extremely maneuverable. It's all about the driver...
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-17-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
Tmorefi, I would in no way discount your abilities or the abilities of other seasoned drivers, but the best drivers on the Pro-Tour are 'showing off' if they can back an inboard through the slalom course.

You can put a novice driver in a 20' Boston Whaler Center console with an Outboard and they could back it through the course (at idle or even faster) and then go back and run through the course figure-eight style in reverse without touching a buoy.

I wouldn't trade my inboard for anything but I don't see an inboard winning at the 'boat rodeo'.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
I watched a friend parallel park a 21' I/O into a 25' space next to a dock. He did it in under 2 minutes and never touched the other two boats or the dock. It was a pretty good job of maneuvering, even for an I/O. He looked at me and said, "Let's see you do that with your new V-drive."

I agree that DD/VDs can be maneuvered surprisingly well with some experience, and they are better than I/Os at rotating in tight spaces. Still, I couldn't parallel park my VD today, despite 300 hours of experience (well, maybe.....if I had 15 minutes to do it, and there was no wind or current).
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like the next item to install will be a bow thruster.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Again,It's all in the driver.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-17-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
What boat is the worst for deep sea fishing? An inboard wakeboard boat (with rod holders on the tower naturally), a twin inboard 30' sportfish with fly-bridge or canoe.

(This thread was making me feel punchy, thought I'd mix it up a bit...)
Old    marks            07-17-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
hi - I'm new here.... just to add my 2 cents - the absolute worst boat for handling around a dock is a Jet Boat !!! There is no handling and no steering once you drop the throttle !
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
Does the canoe have twins or single?
Old    marks            07-17-2003, 5:46 PM Reply   
twins - a yamaha LS2000
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2003, 6:05 PM Reply   
Fogey- New V-drive? Congrats! I can put my 21' V210 into a 23' space no problem at all.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
Well, it was new when we had the conversation, two years ago.

Parallel parking a V-drive in a crowded marina with only a foot to spare on each end is pretty impressive. I'd have trouble doing it in a car, despite the use of brakes and an instantaneous steering effect, much less in my boat. Maybe I'll have to try it--when no one is watching!
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
Having owned 2 i/o's and now a DD I can tell you inboards suck as far as manuverability goes. Yes It is easier with practice but there is no way you can do the same stuff as an i/o or outboard.
Old    tommyadrian5            07-18-2003, 6:15 AM Reply   
V-drives are acceptably worse handling than direct drives. With a v-drive the ability to pivot the boat around the engine is lost.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
you dont paralell, you head in at a 45 at a point about 2/3 towards the rear of the available space. About 5-6 feet from the dock make a hard turn to port. as the stern starts to swing towards the dock give it a little reverse throttle and keep an eye on the stern, if it looks like it may hit the boat in the stern give it a little forward throttle. You will move sideways right into the spot. You should always dock on the driveers side of the boat. Parctice makes perfect.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
Throttle control is everything when docking an inboard... An inboard is much the same as a jet drive in that thrust = steering ability. Backing an inboard sometimes requires forward throttle in short bursts to straighten out the boat from torque steer. Most drivers make the mistake of putting the throttle in Neutral when coming into the dock and lose steering control... My 2cents...
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Right on Chris!
Old    leggester            07-18-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
You guys crack me up!
Old    debsxstar            07-18-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
I can't wait to try to dock my inboard this weekend! I'm going to try the 45 degree angle thing then turn steering will to port and reverse a little to swing the stern towards the dock. if it looks like the stern might hit the dock just go forward alittle to make the correction. (I think I got it) Should i turn the steering wheel to port first then put it in reverse or should i do it simulaneously? steering weel to port
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-23-2003, 8:02 PM Reply   
My Malibu handles way easier around the dock than my Eliminator ever did. Always get envious looks from the I/O boys when I pull my 20' boat into 22' of dock space with ease. Gets on the trailer in half the time, too. All around handles better than any I/O, O/B, or Jet I've ever driven.
Old    dwe            07-23-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
You can't beat twin I/O's. I can manuver our 60' houseboat with twin I/O's much easier than my DD. I only drive the houseboat one week a year and have way more hours in the DD.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
It is all about the driver. I can park my 21'VLX in a 23' spot with the Wedge down! I can spin my boat in a 360 circle and never exceed a 22' diameter circle! I have been driving inboards/Vdrives for about 7 years now and grew up with outboars and I/O's. I pride myself in my abilities to put my VLX anywhere I want on a lake! A driver with experience in any boat can do amazing things. A novice driver would probably get the hang of an I/O faster than an inboard, only because the inboard requires non logical steering tactics.
Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       07-24-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
The worst handling boat around the dock seems to be the one that is either pulling out or putting in at the ramp just infront of me. That goes for worst handling trucks for backing a trailer as well.

So my vote is for the driver as well, but I can see the benefits of different drive types and have to think that even though I too can parallel park and spin my inboard (though only to the left on both counts) that it may be easier to handle an outboard around the dock.
Old    norcal_99            07-29-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Anyone can spin a DD or VD in a 360 circle or park it in a tight space with little practice, but I'd like to see you go in reverse down a ski course, or do figure eights around the bouys in reverse like Grant says you can do in an I/O or Outboard.