Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-14-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
Interesten In your Boat.
Hello, Am William Smith I Reside in Washington Seattle owners of WILLIAM G. SMITH & ASSOCIATES. I am interested in immediate purchase of your Boat.After several consideration over the advert placed on the website,my client has really shown interest in it and I will be greatful if you can mail me back with the method of payment that you normally accept So that we can proceed on this transaction.

1 . Last asking price of the Boat
2 . Recent picture of the Boat...(Email me)
3 . Condition of the Boat
4 . Availability of the Boat

Kindly get back to me via an email with all the informations above,before we proceed to shipping arrangements of the Boat
from your location,after you might have provided your CONTACT DETAILS for quick issuance of payment which will be sent and confirmed by you. Thanks for your co-operation.

Have a wonderful day .

WILLIAM G. SMITH & ASSOCIATES
Address: PO BOX 11569
JACKSON, WY 83002
Phone # 206-984-4431(my Seattle number)
Fax # 206-984-2915
E-Mail:william111uk@yahoo.com
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
......whenever I see these I delete them....I had a few come in when I was trying to sell my kite gear. I always love when their clients cant write an email or phone........def. fishy!!
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-14-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Nigerian SCAM!!

They just want your bank information. Don't do it!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-14-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
I would not sell it to them Unless they bring cash
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-14-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
I like that the company is in WY and he is in Seattle
Old    atom_ant            10-14-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Anytime I see U.K. (no offense to the good guys) I get skeptical about it. Someone tried to scam me on ebay when I was buying tower speakers. They said I got a second chance offer and needed the money sent Western Union to a different (U.K.) address. I just called the company and they had never heard of the guy. Yours is DEF. a scam.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
maybe hes legit. If he is willing to send a money order and let you deposit it frst to verify it then id go for it.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-14-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
NO CHAS! DONT DO IT!

It is a total scam, even money orders can be fake and then you are responsible for it.

I always reply to these offers with: "cash only, in person delivery, I'm not a sucker!"
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
even if the money orders were fake, you would knot once you cashed it would you not?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-14-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm not sure, but I've heard they can be faked and not realized until later after they are cashed. Then you're screwed.

Its been all over the news lately about check scams and what to avoid. I have also had several of these "interested buyers" send this same type of garbage to me for various things I've sold. Almost fell for one myself, that's why I say NO!

(especially when the email sounds completely impersonal and professionally written)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-14-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
call him, or better yet can i have some fun with this jabronie.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-14-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Ya Bryan, you can be my broker. lol

$37,000. and we will deliver to his front porch
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-14-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Yea, not only does it sound fishy but it actually smells fishy!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-14-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
maybe he's not going to scam you, but is going to use the info you send to scam someone else! (ie offer your boat for sale somewhere).
I've seen quite a few wakeboats for sale on australian ebay for stupidly cheap prices that are obviously scams - ie pics of boats from US, Pics and info taken straight from boat owners websites. I can usually find the real boat if a play a little on google... :-)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-14-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
never seen a scammer give an address, much less a phone #... call him and feel him out -- sorta duh to me..
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       10-14-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
Money orders are the method of choice for scammers. Sometimes it takes a long time for the bank to discover it's phoney. That's why the normal scam is -"Let me buy your (fill in the blank) for full price (10k). Give me your address so I can send you the money." A few days later, he writes and says "Opps - my secretary sent you the wrong amount. She made it for 15k instead. So as not to delay the transaction, please cash it - take out the 10k and another 500 for your trouble and send me a check for 4500$." You wire his account the $4500 - and several weeks later - your bank calls and says the MO was no good (you owe us the 15k). Google these scams - they're all over. This is just one variation.

And if you want a good laugh - Google the guy in the US who sole goal is to lure and string along these scammers - he gets them to do all sorts of things and has them send him pictures of them performing his ridiculous requests.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       10-14-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
He does have a website... hmmm. interesting... regardless, his initial email looked like every other scammer that I've seen. Good luck..
http://www.williamgsmith.com/contact.html

information matches...
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-14-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Doesnt matter anyways Chas cause IM BUYING YOUR BOAT! Or did you forget already!? I'll be showing up with a cashiers check and a old truck to tow it back to MN with me. Gonna be a scary 8 hr drive home...thank god for insurance! haha!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-14-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Not selling to any one untill I hear from you
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-14-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
I appreciate that very much. It would suck big time if I went through all this loan crap for nothing lol. Its been so damn hard with my co-owner being in Iraq and dealing with the bank. The hell is almost over and ill finally get some sleep at night!
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Washington Seattle??? Who says that. It would be easy to find a business on the web and copy the info. Im gonna call it tommarow for giggles and opps!!
Old     (ducttape)      Join Date: May 2006       10-14-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
are you selling to go back to a SANGER! lol
Old    surfdad            10-15-2007, 4:40 AM Reply   
Wow, that's weird. Did you notice that the emails don't match? The guys website uses his domain name:

wgsmith@williamgsmith.com

The grammatical content of the original email is so poor, plus the guy is an IT consultant, why would be broker a boat purchase?

It LOOKS like someone grabbed this guys website and then switched the email address in the email to you with the idea that most folks will fire off an email before making the call.

I wonder how prevelant THIS sort of thing is, or could be? Someone is going to fall for it, eventually.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-15-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
Lol, we went through this with a car for sale a few years back. You do have to watch for the money orders and cashiers checks,the bank took it but about a week later it came up fake.Sent it to the FBI....
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-15-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
dude sounds legit.
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-15-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
especially cause his name is william smith.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I can't believe the scammers do not change up the format of their offers. This same basic message has been around for years.

Chas, if you want some fun and giggles turn over the address to the site listing your item. Some may track down the scammers.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
rofl @ sounds fishy vs. smells fishy
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
why would they change em if they work? What would have happened if chas didn't have wakeworld?