Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-05-2003, 8:37 PM Reply   
Almost got them. Its getting real close to riding away. Just need a little more practice.

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
Rope tension and rotation look good.

What are you doing to not land them? Over/under rotating, twisting a bit sideways?

I do mine by jumping, putting my free hand on my knee, starting a slow rotation and looking around for the landing. If you have your hands up that quickens the rotation, if you are getting pulled into the boat jump with a bit more slack in the rope...

Keep at it! I just landed my first Air rolls this last week in Shasta. I've doing Wake Front Rolls and Gainers, about time I learned the easy one!
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-14-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
On this shot I came in and had the handle and just hooked it(foil in the water curved sideways). Sometimes I have over rotated. Working on the rope tension has helped, I do get pulled sometimes. Just need to go out more. I expect to get it in the next few tries.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Do a nice steady cut out; far out then gently turn back parallel to the boat. Wait a second for the line to slack then jump for the trick. That should give you time to make the rotation without getting pulled back to the boat.

When I really concentrate on looking for the landing, it makes them so much easier.

Keep it up, gainers are great to throw next to an other boat on the water, especially a boat full of wakeboarders!
Old                07-15-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
I think Sean's "looking for the landing" may be the key for you Freak. All looks good, are you spotting the water for landing?

Once your eyes are focused on the water, that means you head is stopping the gainer.

On an off note, Bob, a friend of mine nailed three fronts in a row a few days ago. ( From the tow eye of a Beachcraft using a water ski rope no less )
Old                07-15-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Freak, I found that laying the gainer out actually made the trick easier. It takes a little more commitment to throw your upper body back, but the payoff is that you can spot your landing sooner, and you can use the handle to control the landing more effectively. Plus it just looks better.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-27-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
I am having a problem going around the first time on the gainer, then the foil goes almost around again after I hit the water and I land on my head. What is the best way to slow my rotation down?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2003, 9:55 PM Reply   
Bo, throw the trick really really really slow. It was hard at first for me to slow things down too.

Look at your hands, where are they? If they are up by your head it will speed you up.

Like posted above, try putting your free hand on your knee. That really slowed my rotation down.

You really just need to jump tilt your head back and start to look for the landing. If you try to crank around, you will over rotate.
Old                08-28-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Adding to Sean's comments, also as you spot the landing, let your head 'unwind' as you rotate towards it.

Doesn't sound very clear, but that's how you stop the rotation. Look towards the water adn keep your eyes on it. Your body follows your head.

Clear as mud?
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
Last night I finally rode away with one. What a long year.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Nice!!!!
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-09-2004, 6:01 AM Reply   
Got #4 finally. Lot's of bad habits to break. Really have the habit of throwing it with out much jump and doing the 1.5 rotation. I know what to do, but between start and finish, it all goes out the window.