Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
So this weekend I mistakenly blasted a pair of my 650's with a 1kHz tone while tuning my system. (I thought I had disconnected the rca cables to the amp that powers the 650's but I didn't.) One survived, one did not. I've been running 150 watts to each speaker, but now, after this, I'm wondering if it's too much. They sound great on the 150 watts (well, at least they did) but now I'm wondering if I should move them somewhere else (once I get another one) and get a pair of 8 inch speakers that are rated for more power. So . . . how much do you guys send to your 650's? I'm just wondering whether this was just an isolated incident or if I'll eventually fry the replacement and the one that survived.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-27-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Here is the bottom line....you NEVER, EVER send a 0 dB sine wave to a speaker with any amount of power. Speaker failure is expected. It's completely different than music power. So don't repeat that particular mistake and you shouldn't have an issue going forward.
A sine wave test tone is only to determine the maximum limitation of the electronics. It cannot be used for system tuning beyond that. A speaker should not see a sine wave.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
Thanks David! I guess I should consider myself lucky that one survived, along with my eardrums . . . .
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-27-2014, 2:03 PM Reply   
Yep, 150W rms is golden to an XS-650, I would make a change
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
I'm running 150 watts to 8 of them and after 4 years they are all 8 perfect!
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-02-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
What did it do to the speaker? (ie how do you know its a gonner)
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-06-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'm sending 225 WRMS with engine on and 195 with engine off to each xs-650....They sound so magical!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakesounds View Post
What did it do to the speaker? (ie how do you know its a gonner)
It's half as loud as it should be, up to 50% volume, then it cuts out and makes the other speaker on the amp cut out. Moved the speaker and the problem moved with it. Wetsounds hooked me up with a new single for a decent price.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-06-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
It's half as loud as it should be, up to 50% volume, then it cuts out and makes the other speaker on the amp cut out. Moved the speaker and the problem moved with it. Wetsounds hooked me up with a new single for a decent price.
Did they say what would cause the volume to only play 50%? People can correct me, but I thought if a speaker was fried then it would either not work at all...or play noticeably distorted sound?