Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    01redraider            03-12-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
My brother just got a new 06 Malibu VLX... He wanted me to get some feedback for him from avid wakeboarders...

Heres his idea:

Rent out his boat daily / half days / hourly
He will be the full time driver (license, insurance & permit reasons)
He will offer all the gear, few boards, surf board, vests, etc....
All the riders do is bring their beverages and begin to ride...
There could also be another person on the boat to assist the riders with loading, riding, boards, etc...that person will also film each riding session which will then be taken home for editing and turned into a dvd (included in price)for them to have.

Is this something anyone would consider? or is it a laughable idea??? haha!!!

The thought of being able to go to the lake, boat is waiting at the dock with everything, you can start riding right away seems appealing!?!

Let me know your thoughts?? What would someone pay for this service...?

Thanks a ton...
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-12-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
hmmmmmmmm, sounds interesting. I know someone used to do this sort of thing in Long Beach a while back.

My opinion is that it's a great idea, but you are going to have to charge a lot to make ends meet, and I think for most people, going out with their friends is part of the experience.

I would come and pay $20/set for a couple pretty good sets. Depends where it is.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-12-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
it also might be a better idea to find someone who can coach, and just do everything you just mentioned, plus lessons.
Old    01redraider            03-12-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Lessons included - Thats a very good thought!!!
Old    01redraider            03-12-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
That was my main concern.. Obviously hanging with all your friends on the boat is one main reason we all enjoy the sport. At the same time, since there will be a full time driver, drinking on the lake wouldnt be a concern for them...It would be tough, but i guess my brother would have to find a way to make the experience easy for them but at the same time, stay out of there way...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
so you're basically offering a camp/school, right?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-12-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
If you charge a fee, you better set it up as a business. Have liability wavers and liability insurance. You also have to have a USCG captains license if your on public water.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-12-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'd do it, and I'd pay $20-40/person for a couple pulls behind a 06 VLX... With, or without coaching.

-Blake
Old    01redraider            03-12-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Blake -thanks for the input...George, I have been looking into all of that for him, thanks...I knew he would need a captains license...Setting it up as a business is the only way to do such a thing for insurance purposes...

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
As George and Brian said, you can't charge people cash with your standard insurance or they would never cover in case of an accident. You'll have to charge a lot more than $20/person once you get it set up, but good luck if you make it happen. Keep us informed if he pursues it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-12-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
At #20 per two pulls you may not break even.
Old    01redraider            03-12-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
I will keep everyone posted...

I was thinking the only way it could work would be to do half or full day rentals... that way a group of 6 could rent the boat for 5 hours, pay 50.00 each...that would be 8.33 each per hour.

total cost to rent boat, with driver, dvd recording of each session, one full tank of gas...= 300.00

surely you could get $50.00 of riding and partying worth on a saturday per person...
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-12-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
just my 2cents........I wouldn't allow ANY alcholic beverages. Insurance co would play hell with that one. If you are the driver or an observer with said Co. take a CPR and basic first aid class. You would be suprised who complains the most about the least. have a contract and waiver for them to sign. The insurance rider would be around 50-75 month higher for another 2 mil rider on existing policy. Basically the cheapest route is to let them rent the boat and drive it themselves............
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-12-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Uhhh....why not make new friends. My friends drop 20 a day. Although, I could use regulars during the week.

Is you brother trying to get the boat payments and maintenance back in cash?
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
x2 on the captains license. thats a must. also, any boaters safety courses would help to expand your credentials to get people to trust you. US Power Squadron offers a six week course. its a lot of advanced stuff that you dont really need to know if your just pulling people on wakeboards, but its a really knowledgeable course.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-13-2006, 3:07 AM Reply   
If you have revenue your city, county, state, and, federal tax people get involved and want their share of the profit. In some states you will have to collect and pay sales tax. In all states if you have an employee you have to have workmans comp insurance. On the positive side you can depreciate your boat and you would have to have significant revenue before income taxes start. Sales tax, Social Security, and workmans comp start with the first dollar. Unless your really good with paperwork and tax filling figure on $500 - $1000 per year for an accountant.

Lots of hassle for starting a small business.

(Message edited by mobv on March 13, 2006)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Blake,

I just raised your rates. Oh, wait, you moved. Damn!

(Miss ya bro!)
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-13-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
this really isnt that new of an idea, but if it works out for you guys great. but just cover your butt!
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-13-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
In theory it's a good idea, and like Midwesty said it's been thrown around by a lot of people. So the fact that so many people have thought about it, but so few have actually done something about it should be a good indicator to you of how difficult it really is. Basically as many have mentioned the government/insurance companies cause too many barriers to make the simple idea a reality.

Only way I can see it working is to do it on a large scale, with multiple boats going and such, which would basically make you into a wakeboard camp, plus the startup costs would be massive. Anyways just my limited input, but good luck if you can find a way to make it happen!
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Well this is something that I found and I think it is basically the same idea you got. I think that if they can make it with an outboard, if you could get a deal for some equipment from Gator too, you would be golden!
http://www.waterskimarcoisland.com/Rates.html