Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-28-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I will have the chance to ride behind a 2008 x-star demo this week end. Does any one that rides behind one know what speed and rope distance is ideal. It will have only factory ballast.

Thanks, Nick
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-28-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
What is your skill level, what boat do you usually ride behind, and at what length/speed do you usually ride?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-28-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
depends on how much ballast, too.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-28-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Depends on skill and how much weight they have in it I ride them @ 85 feet @ 26.5-27.5 MPH
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Smuggle lead in a backpack
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-28-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
I can land 180's wake to wake both ways, tantrums, and I have landed a few 360's but there not great. I normaly ride behind my sport nautique at about 70 feet at 20mph but I have been behind a SAN at 80 at around 23mph. I have a 450lb fat sac I could bring but i figured it would be fine as it comes. I will have time to mess with it we have it all week end just trying to get a heads up on where to start. I will try to smuggle my pops bags in.

Thanks, Nick

Thanks, Nick
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-28-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Nick, if it were me I would leave the rope at 75 and just ask the driver to make the wake look good, whatever speed that meant. I don't really notice a +/- 2 mph unless its affecting the way the wake is curling/shaped. As long as its a good shape, line tension will take care of the rest, IMO. You can always give him the 'up the speed' signal if he's going too slow.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-28-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
It's going to be wide compared to what you are used to. You'll likely have to ride a bit faster and take a harder cut. Make sure you are patient with the wake. Ride all the way to the top and you'll have fun. The wake takes some getting used to, but once you get it dialed in it's super fun.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-28-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
I ride x-stars pretty often. Ideally, it needs about 2,500 lbs on top of stock and then it's the best wake EVAR! But with just stock, it's still a clean wake. Some people are disappointed with the stock wake, but I enjoy it. It's very long and rampy...pretty mellow compared to most others in it's class. Stock only, I ride about 75 ft going 24mph. Ballast, I ride 83 ft going about 25mph I think. Have fun, this is a great wake to learn new tricks on since it is very smooth. I feel like I get bucked a little out of control when I ride SANs sometimes. And since it's so long and rampy, it makes for a very good, consistent landing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
"Some people are disappointed with the stock wake"

Every stock wake
Old     (kyle_neumann)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-28-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
ride like 25 or so if the wake is gunna be stock... n probly keep the rope around 75' if thats wat u do on a nautique..
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-28-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
"And since it's so long and rampy, it makes for a very good, consistent landing."

Gotta be the funnest wake to LAUNCH grabs way way way into the flats.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
id say the malibu has the x start beat andy both the lsv and the vlx for launching grabs way out into the flats
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-28-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yah... Andy doesn't know shi-at... LOL!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
"id say the malibu has the x start beat andy both the lsv and the vlx for launching grabs way out into the flats"

Really? I haven't found those wakes to be anything close to X-star quality. We tried on our houseboat trip (we had both boats). We added weight until the VLX would no longer get on plane. Once it did, it wasn't even close to the size of the xstar wake. Wedge up, wedge down, weight everywhere...didn't matter.

Dont get me wrong, it was good, but not mind blowing like the star.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
I am with J-Rod on this!! I have been behind both plenty of time's, and nothin beats a dumped X-Star...Ya Heard!!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
c'mon j-rod you know in order to SLAM a boat you gotta have the right prop or you're just wastin gas. stocker wake it kills all others. i just can't hop onto the xstar wagon....

has anyone ridden a new 220 or 236 slumpped??? if you haven't then you should. MACKIN"

(Message edited by romes on August 28, 2008)

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-28-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
X-star, big block, 4k ballast..... DONE!

There is no other like it. LOL. The motor is the key to the equation. Our boat could be sinking and still get on plane. That 8.1 is raw.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Bu', too.

Upload
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Agreed JR. I don't really dig the 220 wake all that much cause if I fart the wake shape changed. They have also had alot of problems since they were released in 06. The 236/230 is one bad mother though and with about 2500lbs on top of stock that is by far the biggest wake that I have ever hit. Ha we ride with this little ripper named Joe, the kid is tiny but throws inverts that are like 10 or 12 ft easy but he is maybe 6 inches taller than the wake. It is awesome to see him ride all the way up that monster and I only wish I could see that wake from his perspective.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Agreed Robert and JR. I rode behind Murray's personal 236 and it was stupid big. You def had to bring your A-game otherwise your were rollin the windows down.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
i just miss the boot at the top of the wake on the stars...its too rampy for my liking. i like the kick on the 236 and even our little old x1.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
See, I disagree JR that's what is killer about our wake its rampy as hell but still has a kick at the top of it. Can't tell me there is a better wake, just can't!!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
one day you'll remove your head from MC's arse AL.

there's only 1 boat i have yet ride and i'm really interested in the wake cuz i've heard it HUGE and thats supra's 24ssv. i've only heard stories of trevor hansens supra wake
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-28-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
I can see where this threads going. Everyone has there opinion including me, but like andy said the rampy wake of the xstar makes it nice for floating grabs. That makes sense to me hence the wake is rampy. Then jeremy says the malibu has the xstar BEAT for launching into the flats. But let me ask you this... How would a boat with a naturally more lippy wake (malibu) be better than a rampy wake (xstar) for launching into the flats and holding grabs. Does that make sense to anyone. Andy you obviously know what your talking about and I wish more people did.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-28-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Oh and one thing people forget is that there is a difference between a soft and firm wake. Load an xstar with some additional ballast and tell me seriously that the wake doesnt absolutely boot you. Im not gunna argue with anyone over which boat is a better boat im just saying IMO you cant hate on an Xstars wake.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
You don't know crap JR!! when you start goin big like your boys then you can tell me to get my head out of MC arse. I JUST SAYIN!!! the thing that you forget is not every MC wake is like ours the 8.1 makes a big difference. It adds that lip, you just have to time it.

What do you know about wakeboarding anyways aren't you late for a Volleyball game CUPCAKE!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
JR, have you ridden our current Xstar? Nothing like it.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
I'm a 'bu guy and I'm gunna have'ta take Allen and Jarrod's side on this one
I ride behind a brand new X-star about 3 times a month.....sometimes 4

awesome wake

I own an '07 VLX with the hammerhead 400hp
propped with the acme 1235

my boat could pull a house!

the truth is.....and most on this site probably won't admit it
Allen touched on it....

both boats are capable of creating a wake that FAR exceeds my skills.....and most guys here

C.I.E. guys not included of 'course

both wakes are awesome

with that said

I love my 'BU
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-28-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
wow
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-28-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
I normally ride behind a 211, and its a bit lippy, but the only boat I have been behind besides that was a 08 Star, and that thing boosted me higher and farther with more control than the 211, plus the wake looks so damn beautiful because its reminds me of the awesome launch ramps I use to hit skateboarding.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
I had the chance to ride behind a fully loaded PWT ed. X-star with the big block and 8 people in it. HANDS DOWN the biggest wake I have ever seen. I jokingly told the guy pulling me that I'd rather have the X-2 because I know that if that boat was given to me I would hurt myself within 2 months. I rode at 85 feet and the boat wouldn't even plane at anything under 25mph, I think I was riding at 27.

Seriously that wake is a blown knee waiting to happen.

(Message edited by focker on August 29, 2008)
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
"Then jeremy says the malibu has the xstar BEAT for launching into the flats. But let me ask you this... How would a boat with a naturally more lippy wake (malibu) be better than a rampy wake (xstar) for launching into the flats and holding grabs. Does that make sense to anyone. Andy you obviously know what your talking about and I wish more people did."

dave have you ever seen randall ride behind his vlx or maybe seen chad behind his lsv or lyman behind his lsv?? how can you honestly say that you cant do floaty grabs way out into the flats when nobody goes quite as big as randall or lyman other than dean. im not sayin the xstar isnt a good boat just not my boat of choice.

(Message edited by jsweat on August 29, 2008)

Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-29-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
"dave have you ever seen randall ride behind his vlx or maybe seen chad behind his lsv or lyman behind his lsv?? how can you honestly say that you cant do floaty grabs way out into the flats when nobody goes quite as big as randall or lyman other than dean. im not sayin the xstar isnt a good boat just not my boat of choice.

hang on though... those guys would be sick behind a pontoon...
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-29-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
I agree with wake2wake on this one, those dudes have gnarly pop on anything, I am sure they would throw big behind a trolling fishing boat.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
JUST FOR THE RECORD JR AND I KNOW EACH OTHER!!! I'm not really that big of an ass.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
no i havent ridden behind the crusher yet, the crusher isnt your avg run of the mill xstar either, who puts an off shore 8.1L in a vdrive? someone who wants to run 5k+....

ohh and al i forgot that wake riding was all about doin what others do and goin big....i do my own self eff what anyone else does....including you bg joel ry jrod evan...all you

(Message edited by romes on August 29, 2008)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
good morning everyone...hahahah

evan you have a good set last nite?
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-29-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Has anybody seen the wake behind the redesigned 09 VLX yet? I would expect a killer wake from their all new flagship boat. The pics I've seen of the hull look promising.

It's crazy how topics like this always turn into a boat war. I have a VLX and love it but would be stoked to have the X-Star or the VLX or many of the other boats that are out their.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
ah eff that your just scared!!!

HAHAHA GOOD MORNING>
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
chit...you guys would rather powerturn the wrong way down vics...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-29-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha.... Seriously, if you haven't ridden behind the big block X-star, then you haven't ridden behind a proper X-star. We don't even know why it is. We proposed that it was because of the engine weight, so we added an extra 300lbs to the back of our 6.0 boat and it still wasn't the same. The 6.0 boat is more like a beefed up X1 wake. Still really nice, but really... Look at the size of the wake in that pic. That's at 26+ (I don't trust the speedo, we've been riding at 27.6 lately according to that) and 80'. That wake is seriously big and still has that kick at the top that the 6.0 boat just didn't have. I'm not hatin' on the small motor X-stars, but the big block boat is in a league of it's own.

Oh, and for sure, all the big name guys can kill it behind any boat. A lot of those guys have ridden behind our boat, and I've yet to hear a complaint. I have heard a few times that the dubs were the biggest thing they've ever seen, or that the wake was mackin', but that's about it.

JR, last night was ill. Joel is on point right now. He was killing it. The X1 is doin' work, too. I always love riding behind that boat.

I love this thread, by the way... got natured ChiT talking.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-29-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Jeremy I never said you CANT do it behind a malibu. I mean were talking about freakin RANDY, CHAD, AND LYMAN. Who are you joking. They could do it behind a freakin bayliner. My statement was justifying that its EASIER and more CAPABLE of doing behind an Xstar because of the SOLID RAMPY WAKE. GET IT NOW????
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
yea he killed it wednesday nite when we rode. i'd never seen him do half the was doin. crazy good.

anyways... CIE sucks and so do xstars...
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-29-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
jr- L M F A O!!!

Dave- Natural Born Thrillers, I don't think it was a Bayliner but pretty close. "Brazilian flavor"
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
that was for you tonis...btw i saw a dude this morning wearing 2 pairs of shorts..strange..you must get around...hahahaha

(Message edited by romes on August 29, 2008)
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-29-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
that picture makes me hungry...
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-29-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
What was the video from back in the day where I think either gator or somebody rides behind like a yaht. Was it skurfs up? Sorry to side bust on the conversation Im just curious
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-29-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
If Chad Sharpe, Danny Harf & Parks Bonifay get together, which boat do you think they ride behind?
I have never seen Parks or Rusty behind anything other than an Xstar, but I have seen every Malibu, CorrectCraft, Centurion, etc riders behind the STAR!! (thought i would stoke the fire)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just throwing it out there, the X Star wake is my favorite with the X1 a close second. I'd say the VLX is third.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Nick,

I have an 08 X-star. At your skill level, I would actually suggest about 23.5 MPH and 5 to 8 feet shorter than you normally ride behind the SAN. The X-star has a wide beam and a wide wake. With just stock ballast, running slower gives your a better lip, but you will need to shorten the rope. Do not fill the center ballast unless you are adding more weight in the rear than just the stock tanks. To get a good tight lip on the wake, you need proportionally more weight in the stern of an X-star.

As you add weight, you can add speed and you can lengthen the rope. But with only stock ballast, go a little slower and shorter for a better wake shape.

I hope this helps.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
rusty rides behind chads malibu all the time, he also rides behind dannys nautique

Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I have to put my .02 in here....I ride behind a 07' star all the time with the standard motor..The wake is huge the way we weight it..BUT...nothing like the CIE boys boat..I took that pic of Evan..you think it looks big try stairing it down as your comin in at it....AWESOME wake!! Hands down the best I have ever had the pleasure of hittin!!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-30-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
WORD!!
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2008, 1:17 AM Reply   
I'm just wondering which boat throws the best stock wake for a beginner who has been out less then a handful of times or never been out at all? I would think the wide rampy wake of a Xstar would be the better wake but I don't know.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
the xstar with stock ballast has a long mellow wake, the san210, a malibu vlx or 23 lsv would be the rampy wake you are looking for with stock ballast
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-04-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Just for the record, Rusty has hit 10's behind both Chad's VLX and his X-Star. I remember a sequence in Wakeboarding mag of Rusty behind Chad's VLX. The caption was talking about how massive the wake is behind Chad's boat and how big the wake was in the pics relative to Rusty's height. Of course Chad runs a ridiculous amount of ballast in his boat as do all of the pros.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-04-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the comments I rode at about 75 feet 23mph. We had trouble with the middle ballast after the first day and there were a few other electrical issues but it was a great boat and I had a blast riding behind it. Sprained my ankle trying to land a raily, that is one trick I would like to land before the end of the year but I am running out of time.
Thanks again, Nick
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-04-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
That’s amazing; my wake is bigger than your wake, I’m going to have to stop reading these, it always turns out the same.

Hey Nick glad you got the info that you needed in all this.

I can’t imagine a slammed XStar with the big block. I had a slightly weighted XStar with the MCX and 10 people in it and holly crap that was huge.....scared me
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
you know what makes me mad about boat wars is everyone has a huge prefference.. but the larger motors is deffinitly were its at.. the X1 i freaken love that wake still after riding behind it all the time.. i have an 07 vlx and i freaken love that to but i still havnt got the wake dialed in any suggestions?.. i love huge wakes. but the Xstar is also in its own league.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-05-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
We added another 1,500 of water to the Crusher last night and got it absolutely stupid. The 8.1 still laughs at the weight. I think we're right around 5k plus crew and the wake is seriously macking. The amazing part is that the boat could still take more. The crazy part is that now it has the X-star ramp with a SAN kick at the top. Everyone was going to the flats last night. Boards were paying the price.... LOL!!!

I hope the new supercharged 6.0 will have the same go as the big block. Dam Chevy all to hell for not making that motor after this year. He, he, he.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yep, my board snapped on a TS Indy shifty into the flats. I felt like I had a hold on the grab for 2-3 seconds. Oh SNAP!

That was so much fun.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
wow bone crusher is probably out of this world i need to get out to cali and see how sick the xstar can be so i can eat my previous words. the only xstars i have ridden behind the owners were to scared to slam them with weight so i have yet seen what that wake is really made of
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
how much did you guys throw down in gas?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-05-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
ya no kidding JR.

we saw you guys out we were in the blue n white sanger. That wake was sending huge rollers for days. I heard that big block from super far away
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
It took just over 20 gallons for all four of us to ride, Jarrod took 1.5 sets. So really the 8.1 with all that weight isn't that bad on gas. IT"S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
so 15 to 20 bucks a set thats not too bad for a supe mackin wake
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
too much!

Were you guys out on the river Nick? We headed down toward vics but encountered those "mystery rollers" so we turned back and rode near the bridge.

Jeremy, anytime.

Rumor is MC will replace the big block with a crazy new high output small block. Hopefully the motor is just as capable. These 8.1 motors are something special for sure.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
for the record...cie and xstars STILL SUCK...

hit us up next week we needa ride

(Message edited by romes on September 05, 2008)
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
YOU SUCK HAHAHAHA
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-05-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
yep J-Rod we were riding on the river by the bridge. Ive seen you guys out there a few times. Its the money spot during the week butter and very few boats. We saw d. cook riding last night too. when we passed it looked like Billy was gettin in.

I hate those mystery rollers to there always by twin sloughs
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
JR...I would rather hide in the tullies, and pop out with some powerturns during your set.

I can ride a bunch next week. Let try to make it happen JR.

Was Derek on the white Malibu?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I bet you would....you say the nite and i'll bring some gas....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Monday is looking pretty sweet. What time can you ride?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Monday is gonna be windy Boys
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
i can be at orwood around 4:30 any day of the week.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Let's keep an eye on the wind. Hopefully Al is wrong.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-05-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
he was riding wit jaimie eddy on his san 210
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
I'm down... say the night.

My favorite part was that we all finished our sets by getting worked. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Says 94 deg for tomorrow with light winds. (6-9 mpg) I'm down unless its howling out there.