Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-22-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
I was just wondering if anyone has tried kiteboarding and what they thought of it. It looks like fun.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
This guy thinks it's awesome...
http://www.break.com/index/kite-surfer-badly-owned-by-hurricane-fay.html
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-22-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
kiteboarding is the illest thing you will ever do on the water. Unfortunately, it takes some know-how. You cant just go buy stuff and run out and do it. Its an incredible amount of power being harnessed and if you dont know what you are doing it will kill you. However, its really easy to learn how to do it right if you get someone to teach you.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
I have the Kite and the wind tried to drownd me.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-22-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
it's pretty tricky. i've been wakeboarding for about 8 years and took a couple lessons a few years back. majority of my first lesson involved time on land learning how to work the equipment, and only attempted downwind riding a couple of times. second lesson i was able to "zig-zag" downwind for a good ways but if you can't ride upwind, then you have to walk the kite back. quite a bitch. it's all about being able to control the kite. wakeboarding contributed but keeping the kite in the right window so that it doesn't go out of control is mainly what you are focusing on. all in all it's fun but takes multiple lessons and they aren't cheap either! $200 for 4 hours.
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-22-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
All you need is the courage to tackle it and a free week/weekend near an ocean.

or do like I did. Quit your job, move to Maui and ride everyday.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2008, 1:29 AM Reply   
Since you already have wakeboard skills, you are set. Get a small trainer foil kite. I recommend a Slingshot B2.

Get a harness and fly the trainer kite in the harness and out of the harness. Fly it until you can fly with your eyes closed. Learn to sine wave the kite, learn to loop it. Just learn to fly it. If you are really ambitious, get a skate board...and kite with the skate board. That will teach you about apparent wind, how to go up wind, etc.

Do this, and with your existing wakeboard skills, you will progress fast. After doing all this...still take lessons....mainly to learn safety. Know your releases...and whenever you are on land, never lose your focus..which should be on releasing/cutting out if something goes wrong.

Pretty soon you will ride like this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhFVKGbvD_g

OK...none of us will ever ride like that...Lou is the king. A talented wakeboarder, he literally created the wake style in kiteboarding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBUQjb8cAQ&NR=1
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
^^^LOU IS THE MAN^^^

I would kill to get my hands on a two line kite quiver...

Part of the reason I gave it up..
Old     (mark0157)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
ditto to what brant said...practice with a trainer kite first...crazy fun, but I have also seen people get picked up in an instant and lose control!!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Ya I'm thinking of taking it up next summer. It looks like when you want to get air you load the line much like you load the line at the cable parks. Load and release. It also seems you land a lot softer due to the kite being like a parachute. Is this correct? THe older I get the softer I want the landingsAlso it looks like the slingshot kite and wakeboards look really similar. If I had a slingshot wake, or similar(the press) would it work
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Ryan,

I know where you are coming from. While I am not that advanced of a kiter (just starting to do unhooked stuff)...I too prefer simplicity. I use C kites and have them set up for only about 3" of depower! People look at my set up and think I am insane. I like it that way. Most C kites only fly their best in a narrow range. Sheet out too much and your back lines slack up. Sheet to much and they flare out.

Have you seen Lou's new kite line..the Rabbit Series? Well built, super simple. Beautiful. A SLE kite with a very low aspect ratio. Initial reviews are VERY positive. Only 3 sizes...6.5,9,12. Lots of range. Killer simple bar set up.

http://www.wainmanhawaii.com/

They had a Demo day a few weeks back at Sherman Island in CA. This guy came in and was landing his kite next to where I was standing...so I grab the kite and set it down for him. The guy landing the kite then walked over and said thanks...very soft spoken. I did a double take. It was Lou! Lou and Shawn Richman were both there putting on a show to support the local Wainman rep, Chris.

(Message edited by kitewake on August 24, 2008)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
TS,

The SS kiteboards have less rocker than their wakeboards, I think. You will be better off getting a true kiteboard. Also, you will use a board about 8-10 cm shorter for kiteboarding.

As for landings, if you do a pure wakestyle (dont send the kite) jump with a lot of speed and have the kite low, the landing can be just as hard as wakeboarding.

With the kite 45 degrees or higher though, the landings are softer because you swing out away from the kite like you are on a swing. When you load and pop on a kiteboard, you actually go upwind a bit as well as up vertically.

Powered kiteloops are a different story. I have seen broken boards and legs. They can be BRUTAL...but that is an advanced move.

(Message edited by kitewake on August 24, 2008)
Old     (jason_martin)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-25-2008, 2:10 AM Reply   
If anyone in the bay area wants to learn let me know. I give lessons and have a boat so you don't have to hike up the beach all day when your learning how to go upwind.
Old     (jason_martin)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-25-2008, 2:19 AM Reply   
Oh yeah forgot to mention that in kiteboarding you don't have to pay for gas, wait for your turn, or wipe down the boat. You can also go to places like brazil and ride all day and then party all night with hot Brazilian chicks that want you to marry them and take them to America. Here is a vid to motivate you... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zn1s_revolve-2008-aaron-hadlow-revolve_sport
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-25-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Definitely give it a go! It will really help your wakeboarding as well since you are riding switch half the time.

All your gear will fit in a boardbag and you can travel anywhere in the world to ride in the most epic places on the planet.

Make sure you go to Hawaii and ride at Nick's spot. He like it when you boost big, take the board off, and twirl it like a baton. LOL
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
THanks guys. I'm defineltly going to try it next summer when I can afford to get some lessons. It looks like too much fun. Plus the no gas, no line, no boat sounds alot cheaper!